• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CMM comes through again: inbounds pass and airball

Call out threads like this are total low class BS. Stick it in another thread. Absolutely no reason to call out an AMATEUR athlete like this.

The biggest 'WTF' moment from tonight for me was the play out of the timeout for a lob to CMM off a weak screen with two Pitt defenders at the rim. We are damn lucky that he caught that and tapped it out and that Dinos recovered and hit a contested three. If that's the best we can draw up, count me out. Really disappointed with DM's in game coaching abilities looking back on this year. We've shown flashes, but I think that's more individual talents starting to come together than offensive/defensive game planning and actual coaching with games on the line. Fuck it. Go Deacs or whatever

CMM totally bailed CDM out on this terrible play. CMM made a great play to tap it out to Dinos.

we missed 16 free throws and were outrebounded by 23 and yet...... if we can either successfully execute and inbound play and make a couple of free throws or successfully draw up a play to get a decent shot in the last 9 seconds we win. What I saw on the last few plays: 1. obviously the plan was to get Mitch the ball (he had not been in the game in the previous several minutes). 2. Mitch was not screened for nor did he make a good effort to come to the ball all of which put Codi in a tough position 3. at some point Codi should have realized this and called a TO. 4. since we didn't call a TO at that point why not call one to set up the final shot 5. since we didn't call one at that point BC has to realize he doesn't have a good shot and find another option

i'd like to stay on record as saying 22's internet persona is a piece of shit. keep shitting on a college kid(s) if it makes you feel better about your shitty life.

I was soooooo worried that there wouldn't be another thread about this. The game thread didn't satisfy my Codi bloodlust.

Call out threads like this are total low class BS. Stick it in another thread. Absolutely no reason to call out an AMATEUR athlete like this.

Absolutely. I get complaining about something in a game thread but to set out to start a thread for the sole reason of tearing down one of our own is despicable.

Did Danny Manning not remind CMM we had one timeout left? My god that was stupid.

Also, can't Manning call a timeout from the sidelines when it was clear the inbounds "play" had no chance.

I mean that was just a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

After this loss and the UVA loss it is clear Manning has no earthly idea what he is doing late game.

The bad free throw shooting just exacerbates it

Shooting free throws is largely about mental toughness. There's no reason every player shouldn't be better at the line. You can coach mental toughness. It's not all on Manning but to say he's blameless for the FT shooting woes isn't correct either.

Who, by all accounts, is a great kid and a model representative of the University.

Agree 100% w/this! I would love to see some you fat asses trying to play ball at a collegiate level and make every play every time... Codi is an awesome kid and a really good basketball player. Yes, he makes mistakes but he gives his all on the court. The play call on the TO was terrible, but the effort to get open was even weaker. Blame lies w/the team - the whole team.

CMM totally bailed CDM out on this terrible play. CMM made a great play to tap it out to Dinos.

Agree. CMM played great and we lose by a lot without him out there...22fan is just a moran. Don't understand the hate and agree with others that calling out a WFU player individually is in poor taste and classless.

I'm mainly concerned about the play call to lob it to CMM out of the timeout. It's possible that it was drawn up to have CMM kick it back out to Dinos, but I don't think that's the case. Codi saved our ass on that play and gave us a chance to win. Very lucky, though...and more importantly a bad play call that wouldn't work the majority of the time. That's what was disappointing to me. Go Deacs

Agree 100% w/this! I would love to see some you fat asses trying to play ball at a collegiate level and make every play every time...

Oh yeah? Well I would like to see Codi trying to flip burgers when the kitchen gets hot. That pressure can be unbelievable.

I have never called out another WF athlete. The CMM suckage began 4 years ago and that's too long to suffer through watching him continue to play 40 minutes a game. He's blown 8 games in the final seconds over the past 2 years. If you play on an ACC team, you are going to get both praise and criticism. You choose to be in the spotlight. Some bask in the glory, some crumble like a cheap lawn chair. Read the game threads. Everyone wants CMM to graduate already but Manning continues to give him the ball at crunch time. A coach deserves to be fired if he does the same thing again and again and continues to lose. Let's see who makes the next crucial inbounds pass or takes the next last shot. We deserve more than turnovers and air balls at WFU.

Because we need to feed the troll.

I have never called out another WF athlete. The CMM suckage began 4 years ago and that's too long to suffer through watching him continue to play 40 minutes a game. He's blown 8 games in the final seconds over the past 2 years. If you play on an ACC team, you are going to get both praise and criticism. You choose to be in the spotlight. Some bask in the glory, some crumble like a cheap lawn chair. Read the game threads. Everyone wants CMM to graduate already but Manning continues to give him the ball at crunch time. A coach deserves to be fired if he does the same thing again and again and continues to lose. Let's see who makes the next crucial inbounds pass or takes the next last shot. We deserve more than turnovers and air balls at WFU.

It's very simple. You continually attack a kid who has done nothing but try to play his best whenever called on by his coach. If you want a target for your childish spewing of garbage, take it out on Coach Manning. What do you want CMM to do? Take himself out? Say no when told to go in? I have no reason to think CMM won't graduate from Wake with his degree and, to my knowledge, he has done what he could to try to represent our school well. You're a jerk for continuing to attack him. Sorry for feeding the troll.

Last edited:
Manning needs to learn some of the coaching fundamentals. He's new as a head coach and it shows. I'm not enamored with his stubbornness but I'm convinced he will excel. Having said that, even shooting a bad FT% like 52% would have won us this game. This 3 man class are all as good or better than anyone Bz ever recruited and he makes the point of getting shooters and guys with length, the lack of which are costing us game after game.
It's time to kill the talk of Manning and [name redacted] being remotely comparable. Manning's upside is 10 times [name redacted]'s.
Why are you convinced he will excel?

I don't feel the need to compare to redacted when assessing Manning. Just because he hasn't yet proven to be redacted-level bad doesn't mean we can't be utterly dissatisfied with his performance. We're Deac fans, we must be permitted to have "tiers" of disappointment.

Manning's big chance to set himself apart and turn things around was to land Giles. Failing that, what has he got going for him? A middle of the road incoming class, inability to show real player development, and the increasingly unavoidable impression of deer in the headlights ineffectiveness at crunch time.

I understand he needs time, and I was excited by his hiring. But sometimes you can perceive when someone has the it factor, and when they don't. One of those perceptions is now pretty clearly formed in my mind.

Back