• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The last 2 mens basketball coaches.....

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
have been hired off of one year of success at other places. [Redacted] had one really good year at Air Force and Wellman became smitten over that. Manning caught lightning in a bottle at Tulsa where they have traditionally sucked, had a great year and took them to the NCAA. We are Wake Forest damn it, one of the traditionally better ACC basketball programs, a member of the Big 4, part of Tobaco road and we've got an AD that hires basketball coaches with resumes with one year of really good success after many years of coaching and a resume of one year of success in only 2 years of head coaching. Is is inexcusable the job Wellman has done! :rulz:

One would think Nathan Hatch and the Board of Trustees would recognize and do something about an arrogant and past his prime Athletic Director, who thinks hiring basketball coaches who mirror his drab personality and ineffective leadership, are good for Wake Forest. A horrible downward spiral began over 6 years ago with the insane hiring of a Colorado basketball coach, during Colorado's efforts to buy out [Redacted]'s contact due to his lack of competitiveness and drab existence. Four years later, after destroying the Wake fan-base, Wellman could not find a good coach interested in the deep hole that existed, and ultimately hired another dead man walking clone.

Great topic. Not sure we've discussed it lately. :thumbsup:

Really groundbreaking stuff here.

Really groundbreaking stuff here.

I know, but it freaking blows my mind that we are where we're at because of Wellman. I really don't blame Manning, I don't really blame Bzzz (other than he acted like such a dick while he was here), what are they are going to do, turn down the job. Wellman is the man to blame, unless he's just Hatch's puppet or something. It really pissed me off last night when the color guy, who sucked by the way, said "Manning knew when he came to Wake it was a major rebuilding project." Yeah, the last guy that was here was supposedly brought in the "lay the foundation" and get the rebuild going. All we did was dig ourselves into a deeper rebuild because of the Bzzz disaster and we trying to dig ourselves out with a very inexperienced head coach that seems to be in over his head despite being 7 feet tall!

I'm just venting guys, it's been building for awhile and last night was the breaking point.

These are the risks on catching a young coach on the rise.

Well, I don't think it's a risk that Wellman should've taken. He took a risk on [Redacted], that despite evidence of the contrary, he could be successful here. Wellman thought he could make everybody forget about Bzzz if he brought in a name everybody knew and he hoped that name was a good coach. Well, based on what we've seen, the big name cant' coach. I would much rather Wellman had brought in a guy with a good, proven D1 track record, even it was at schools in lesser conferences. The only hope with Manning is that over the long haul, maybe being a name, can recruit at a high enough level to make up for his questionable coaching ability, I wouldn't bank on that one though.

Wellman doesn't have the clout to hire an established coach.

I am not defending either Wellman or Manning. I think Wellman is poisoned in the coaching fraternity (no matter who does the hiring, nobody wants to work for him), and he probably got a series of "no, thank you's" before getting to Manning on his list. Manning is clearly struggling, but let's hope he can a) learn quickly b) hire assistants to fill in around his weaknesses. As long as Wellman is here, might as well ride out Manning. He certainly has the pedigree. If we get a new AD, then I'd be more hopeful that we could hire someone better....but not until then.

But bless your heart for still caring. It is more than I can muster. I remember caring about Wake revenue sports. I both envy and feel sorry for you.

Wellman doesn't have the clout to hire an established coach.

I am not defending either Wellman or Manning. I think Wellman is poisoned in the coaching fraternity (no matter who does the hiring, nobody wants to work for him), and he probably got a series of "no, thank you's" before getting to Manning on his list. Manning is clearly struggling, but let's hope he can a) learn quickly b) hire assistants to fill in around his weaknesses. As long as Wellman is here, might as well ride out Manning. He certainly has the pedigree. If we get a new AD, then I'd be more hopeful that we could hire someone better....but not until then.

I agree, I don't want Wellman making the next hire. I do think we could've gotten somebody with a proven track record of success, even it was not a well known name. That was the whole thing with [Redacted], we hired a guy that hardly anybody knew and his record sucked. Yeah, if you hire a guy without much of a name, you might still go "who," but if you can look at their record and they've got a good winning percentage with at least 5 years experience as an HC then you can see some logic behind it. There was no logic to the [Redacted] hire and the Manning hire seemed to be based on name more than anything.

Wait... I thought it was established on this board that following the Bz debacle Wellman was excluded from the hiring process and Manning was the selection of the BOT and/or big money donors.

Is that not accurate?

But bless your heart for still caring. It is more than I can muster. I remember caring about Wake revenue sports. I both envy and feel sorry for you.

It's funny last night, I started not to even watch. Maybe pop in movie or something, but I thought I'd turn it on and just see how it goes. 2 and 1/2 hours and after much frustration I wanted to shoot the TV.

Wait... I thought it was established on this board that following the Bz debacle Wellman was excluded from the hiring process and Manning was the selection of the BOT and/or big money donors.

Is that not accurate?

I don't remember that, but if true, that's interesting.

Is that not accurate?

Wellman is still the AD.

This is where I'm at. On the plus side, I've gained a lot more time to do other things because I'm not beholden to watching Wake sports.

It's funny last night, I started not to even watch. Maybe pop in movie or something, but I thought I'd turn it on and just see how it goes. 2 and 1/2 hours and after much frustration I wanted to shoot the TV.

This is exactly where I was. Why self inflicted wounds...

This is exactly where I was. Why self inflicted wounds...

You know how they have parental controls where you can block stuff you don't want your kids to watch? We need that for Wake Forest basketball, somebody come in block Wake Forest basketball from being able to be seen on my TV's, password protect it so I can't change it and then come back someday when we're worth watching again and remove it.

have been hired off of one year of success at other places. [Redacted] had one really good year at Air Force and Wellman became smitten over that. Manning caught lightning in a bottle at Tulsa where they have traditionally sucked, had a great year and took them to the NCAA. We are Wake Forest damn it, one of the traditionally better ACC basketball programs, a member of the Big 4, part of Tobaco road and we've got an AD that hires basketball coaches with resumes with one year of really good success after many years of coaching and a resume of one year of success in only 2 years of head coaching. Is is inexcusable the job Wellman has done! :rulz:

Tulsa has historically been a strong mid-major program. Past coaches include Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self. The coach after Self was an abject failure, but Doug Wojcik had the program in a good place, just couldn't break through into the tournament. 5 out of 7 seasons with a winning conference record. Manning benefited greatly from coaching in a much weakened C-USA.

Back