• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol at the new WakeWill campaign

What a shock...in this thread Milhouse, District, and Thinkingwithmydeac are all being ASD;BC blowhards who think they know more than they really do/just trying to piss people off.

What a change from their normal role on the boards.

All this thread needs is Moonz 95 parodies to be the perfect example of why if Wake is going away from where they were from the 70s-90s it's a good thing.

Didn't know this man was Dr. Chris Webber. You hear that, that's the sound of you being wrong!

6f96a278fce4a75e0ca46e6076754af2.jpg

I'd argue that outside the business school and business-type adjunct hires (e.g. former NBA players)...

http://admissions.wfu.edu/facts/

While 93% is still high - its not the 100% that it was.

I'd bet you that nearly all of those 7% are either adjunct instructors in the business school or professionals like Chris Webber and Peter Gilbert. They aren't part of the full-time teaching faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences. (Webber will teach a single class)

You guys aren't talking about the same thing.

Yeah. betterphan is talking about full-time faculty. Everyone else is talking about whoever is teaching the classes whether it be adjuncts without a PhD or grad students.

I enjoyed my time at Wake and grew up in Winston/around the campus but I wouldn't push my kids very hard to go there. It's extremely expensive compared to other comparable options and in my opinion doesn't do a great job of preparing you for the real world in a lot of aspects related to diversity.

I enjoyed my time at Wake and grew up in Winston/around the campus but I wouldn't push my kids very hard to go there. It's extremely expensive compared to other comparable options and in my opinion doesn't do a great job of preparing you for the real world in a lot of aspects related to diversity.

I feel like this exact thing has been said on these boards by just about everyone with kids, or the hypothetical scenario of those who may have kids one day. I'd be hard pressed to think ANYONE who posts on these boards would push their kids to go to Wake.

Yeah. betterphan is talking about full-time faculty. Everyone else is talking about whoever is teaching the classes whether it be adjuncts without a PhD or grad students.

The official term for what we're calling "adjuncts" here is, at least at Wake, "Professor of the Practice". They don't have terminal degrees primarily because they aren't academics. They teach the real-world stuff that academics haven't experienced.

The term "adjunct" more generally has come to refer to fully-qualified academics with terminal degrees that are employed as contingent teaching labor. They make up something like 60% of the teaching faculty in US colleges and Universities. As far as I know, Wake does not employ any of these types.

I feel like this exact thing has been said on these boards by just about everyone with kids, or the hypothetical scenario of those who may have kids one day. I'd be hard pressed to think ANYONE who posts on these boards would push their kids to go to Wake.

I think that's considerably problematic since most people who post on here are likely some of Wake's biggest supporters/fans.

What a shock...in this thread Milhouse, District, and Thinkingwithmydeac are all being ASD;BC blowhards who think they know more than they really do/just trying to piss people off.

All this thread needs is Moonz 95 parodies to be the perfect example of why if Wake is going away from where they were from the 70s-90s it's a good thing.

I gave you 5 reasons how Wake is moving away from its identity.

And you have nothing of substance to say in response. Get challenged, curl up and name call. #millenialpussy

20% increase in student enrollment
Prioritizing the business school over all others
Professor's don't all have PhDs anymore
Removal of need-blind admission
Plans to move undergrad classes off campus

1. If you don't expand enrollment then you would have to raise tuition even more in the current environment. It's an arms race.
2. That's where the money is coming from, that's where the money is going.
3. Phan explained this one.
4. I agree that this is not good.
5. Haven't seen anything about this, can you expand?

hey dumbass there are two things that deserve legit criticism

- the color scheme is fucking ridiculous
- using a march madness theme to try and raise money while wake is in yhe midst of its worst stretch in history is fucking ridiculous

and fuck you doofus

You have my age way off. The only thing right in ASD;BC is probably angry.

For what its worth, I have a kid at Wake and many of the people I went to Wake with have kids there as well. The kids really love Wake and I am happy mine is there. It may not be the right school for everyone. but it is still a very special place to many. I am disappointed with how the revenue sports have been managed and basketball is an absolute failure that needs to be addressed.

Wake used to tout that all their classes were being taught by PhDs. They can't do that anymore. It has nothing to do with tenure vs adjunct.

Here's the relevant data. From ten years ago, when I started at Wake (and Wake claimed all their classes were taught by people with terminal degrees):

14nha0x.png

http://ir.wfu.edu/files/2005_2006_factbook.pdf

And today:

2e68yty.png

http://ir.wfu.edu/files/FB14_15.pdf

Looks like there haven't been appreciable increases in part-time faculty in the last ten years, especially relative to full-time faculty. Someone with better grades in statistics help me out here.

Where the top students from NC are going is not an indication of Wake Forest's academic standards. And the answer to that question would pretty much always have been UNC anyway.

maybe but at $20k per year compared to $65k per year, UNC is a far more attractive option comparatively than 20-25 years ago.

Back