• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol at the new WakeWill campaign

Here's the relevant data. From ten years ago, when I started at Wake (and Wake claimed all their classes were taught by people with terminal degrees):

14nha0x.png

http://ir.wfu.edu/files/2005_2006_factbook.pdf

And today:

2e68yty.png

http://ir.wfu.edu/files/FB14_15.pdf

Looks like there haven't been appreciable increases in part-time faculty in the last ten years, especially relative to full-time faculty. Someone with better grades in statistics help me out here.

Thanks for providing this information. I know some don't like the actual "number facts," but it's helpful and looks like there has been no change.

You have to separate your rage about WFU sports from your love of WFU, the place.

I live a long way away. I hate everything about our basketball program. But I made it back to campus last year for the first time in 20 years or so. I was literally on the verge of tears the entire time I was on campus. Everything about physically being there reminded me why I love WFU, in spite of the endless frustration (and ultimate apathy) I have endured sports-wise. Those of you who are closer, in time or geography, to the campus are, to quote a brilliant lady, letting your rage smother your nostalgia.

What a shock...in this thread Milhouse, District, and Thinkingwithmydeac are all being ASD;BC blowhards who think they know more than they really do/just trying to piss people off.

What a change from their normal role on the boards.

All this thread needs is Moonz 95 parodies to be the perfect example of why if Wake is going away from where they were from the 70s-90s it's a good thing.

You're really pushing that ASD;BC thing. Reminiscent of jaybone's forcing "Niky Shooter" into all the basketball talk.

You're really pushing that ASD;BC thing. Reminiscent of jaybone's forcing "Niky Shooter" into all the basketball talk.

When they stop being complete assholes in every thread I'll stop accusing them of having shitty lives.

Thanks for providing this information. I know some don't like the actual "number facts," but it's helpful and looks like there has been no change.

I see no mention of instructors with PhDs in those charts.

100% PhDs was a huge selling point back in the day. Can they still claim that?

I see no mention of instructors with PhDs in those charts.

100% PhDs was a huge selling point back in the day. Can they still claim that?

DistrictDeacon, Wake Forest has never claimed to have 100% instructors with PhDs. Think about it: were any of your foreign language instructors PhDs? Did Maya Angelou have a PhD? The claim has always been that all of the full-time teaching faculty have terminal degrees in their fields. Not necessarily PhDs.

You have to separate your rage about WFU sports from your love of WFU, the place.

I live a long way away. I hate everything about our basketball program. But I made it back to campus last year for the first time in 20 years or so. I was literally on the verge of tears the entire time I was on campus. Everything about physically being there reminded me why I love WFU, in spite of the endless frustration (and ultimate apathy) I have endured sports-wise. Those of you who are closer, in time or geography, to the campus are, to quote a brilliant lady, letting your rage smother your nostalgia.

Well put. This is what I was getting at with my posts in this thread.

'Member when numbers was the most insufferable of the doofi twins? Who would of thought he could go to law school and end less obnoxious than his brother?

Fuck you doofus.

I don't have rage. I just think it is sickening that Wake has priced themselves out of 95 percent of their alumni from sending their kids to Wake. And then...the school sends these idiotic embarrassing emails out to those same alumni asking for money . I have returned to campus many many times. It isn't nostalgic because it's not the same place I attended. Not at all.. I also think there will come a day when Wake administration (academic and athletic) regrets this path.....

Well put. This is what I was getting at with my posts in this thread.

My recent visit to campus left me with nostalgia and sadness. Walking around brought back memories but the bloat was hard to miss.

Watching my kids play with friends' kids in the Pit, Quad, and Poteat Field was more fun than I could have imagined. But I knew that couldn't happen when they're all college age like me and their parents from middle class backgrounds in rural NC did 20 years ago.

I even randomly ran into an old friend who has worked at Wake since she graduated. She was also nostalgic even though she was a part of the change.

Nostalgia is a by product of progress. I get that. I'm just not sure a Wake Forest education is better than it was 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

Best scene in one of the best shows ever.

I was talking to a guy who went to W&L who has decided he can't afford to send his kids there and he was actually suggesting that there should be a tuition break for legacies. I tried hard not to laugh, but didn't really do very well.

Kansas gives an automatic partial scholarship based upon high school GPA to children of alumni. Reason #23 why I'm going to be very conflicted if my kids show an intrest in attending Wake.

Kansas gives an automatic partial scholarship based upon high school GPA to children of alumni. Reason #23 why I'm going to be very conflicted if my kids show an intrest in attending Wake.

The state of North Carolina does the same (or did the same), assuming you stay in state for school.

My recent visit to campus left me with nostalgia and sadness. Walking around brought back memories but the bloat was hard to miss.

Watching my kids play with friends' kids in the Pit, Quad, and Poteat Field was more fun than I could have imagined. But I knew that couldn't happen when they're all college age like me and their parents from middle class backgrounds in rural NC did 20 years ago.

I even randomly ran into an old friend who has worked at Wake since she graduated. She was also nostalgic even though she was a part of the change.

Nostalgia is a by product of progress. I get that. I'm just not sure a Wake Forest education is better than it was 20 years ago.

Exactly. I'm not sure that a Wake education is much better than when I was there.

Back