• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol at the new WakeWill campaign

The only thing ''Wake will" do is keep losing while acting like they want to win. Oh and keep collecting the TV money while a bunch of rich assholes sit around collecting checks.

Well, we are all Mad that we haven't played in March for years.... so there's that.:mad:

There's an alumni community called MAD Deacs, which is people working in media, advertising, etc. I'm thinking they stole the moniker that we could have used for our own alumni community. Membership = this board

There's an alumni community called MAD Deacs, which is people working in media, advertising, etc. I'm thinking they stole the moniker that we could have used for our own alumni community. Membership = this board

First thing that came to my mind was "Mothers Against Drunk Deacs." And there are a lot of drunk deacs these days.

Mothers Against Dunking Deacs has been successful at keeping Collins and Moore on the bench.

Everything coming to me from Wake lately is so fucking pathetic. The latest from Wake Will was especially so. I am not enamored of this "good guys wear black" bullshit either. I do enough community service on my own, without needing exhortation from WF.

I am not sure what is going on at MSD anymore. I feel like the administration, and the athletic department in particular, don't give a shit about us anymore. Until this feeling goes away, if it ever does, I will not send money to Wake Will, the Deacon Club or whatever. Just my 2-cent rant.

It doesn't seem like there's much of a commitment to excellence from the university. I wish I could say it's just because I've been away from NC for 12 years, but my friends in the Winston area feel the same way. I visited campus this summer and while some of the new buildings were nice and seemed necessary (Farrell Hall), most of it seemed superfluous. All the new construction just reeked of administrative bloat, justifying administrative bloat, and making room for more students with more tuition dollars to pay for administrative bloat. I haven't looked at the Wake Will list of spending priorities in awhile, but my initial impression was that they were trying figure out what people would spend millions of dollars on rather than what is needed to provide a top tier education.

Glad Racer started this thread. I thought about it after I got the first email. My first impression was that the entire university is just trolling me. Then I thought maybe they are just that inept at their jobs. Either way, the whole thing embarrasses me and I want no part of it. And ditto what I think Goolsby said...this is a hollow shell of the institution I remember attending. Meh, maybe it's just in my head. Either way, I feel zero connection to my alma mater...and I'm not that old, and I don't live that far away.

Don't forget that the academic standards are dropping also as parents of top notch high school kids from North Carolina refuse to pay 65k per year . The top students in the state on a whole go to UNC. Wake will never ever be the same. Wake gets richer not as gifted students. That's the ugly truth

Don't forget that the academic standards are dropping also as parents of top notch high school kids from North Carolina refuse to pay 65k per year . The top students in the state on a whole go to UNC. Wake will never ever be the same. Wake gets richer not as gifted students. That's the ugly truth

I agree that tuition is getting out of control and this is making Wake inaccessible to many qualified students, but is there any evidence that academic standards are dropping besides #noSAT? Also, I don't entirely agree with the concern of losing NC students to UNC because that concern is predicated on some notion that Wake exists primarily to serve NC students. If this is the argument that you're going to make, then you need to expand it out to every public university because Wake draws students from all over the country. How big of a problem is this for BC, Vandy, etc. in their respective states?

ETA: Not that I disagree with the argument; it's more that I think making it NC-centric is problematic.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter. Got paid. Go Deacs.

This week one of my students told me she was interested in applying to Wake Law. Real smart. Black woman. I'm sure she'd be a good candidate. I couldn't give an enthusiastic endorsement. I told her I'd get some information for her. I wish I could be more excited to recommend Wake to her.

My wife's goddaughter/little cousin was considering Wake a few years ago. Great girl. Sweet. Smart. Gorgeous. Family is loaded and lives in Coral Gables and vacations in the NC mountains every year. Need based aid was out of the question.

I was talking about it with her sisters and some older cousins, one of whom went to Duke in the 80s. I couldn't make a good case for them for spending $65K a year at Wake especially with two more girls going to college within 5 years. She's at UF and doing well.

None of my good friends from Wake plan on sending their kids to Wake. The kids are barely Wake fans. Two friends I used to have season tickets with have two boys who are nuts for basketball. They play and watch all the time. They've taken their boys to two Wake games but have been to seven Hornets games this year.

As someone who never attended MSD but has lived in Winston and surrounding areas in the South my whole life, I can say that Wake has zero reputation amongst the 30 and under crowd for anything, anywhere.

It's not considered a cool school, great school, good value school, sports school, frat school, party school, etc. Its a good education but there are better options all around. There is zero identity.

Wake sports are just as lost. Sucks because I support the school and still have a lot of pride in Wake being from Winston.

What is your evidence that academic standards are dropping? Because that sounds like something made-up by an alumni who is upset that Wake Forest is more diverse than ever.

As someone who never attended MSD but has lived in Winston and surrounding areas in the South my whole life, I can say that Wake has zero reputation amongst the 30 and under crowd for anything, anywhere.

It's not considered a cool school, great school, good value school, sports school, frat school, party school, etc. Its a good education but there are better options all around. There is zero identity.

Wake sports are just as lost. Sucks because I support the school and still have a lot of pride in Wake being from Winston.

As a alum, I have no idea what the identity is aside from always asking for money.

Lurker, that's not what he said at all. If anything, his complain is that Wake is drawing richer kids than ever.

As a alum, I have no idea what the identity is aside from always asking for money.

Lurker, that's not what he said at all. If anything, his complain is that Wake is drawing richer kids than ever.

Suck at basketball and football.

What is your evidence that academic standards are dropping? Because that sounds like something made-up by an alumni who is upset that Wake Forest is more diverse than ever.

That's just one of his complaints. I'm not sure what he's pointing to when he says that academic standards are dropping though.

I do believe this however: UNC-CH's national ranking is about to plummet due to the newly selected system president.

His point was that academic standards are dropping because parents of the smartest kids aren't spending $65K a year and Wake is pursuing the richest kids who may or may not be the brightest kids.

His point was that academic standards are dropping because parents of the smartest kids aren't spending $65K a year and Wake is pursuing the richest kids who may or may not be the brightest kids.

Yeah, and I don't think he has any supporting data, or maybe he does. Wake's recruiting area has grown significantly in the past 20 years.

Back