• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol at the new WakeWill campaign

I'll help you out district. Don't be afraid to say what you feel. It's all of that damn Yankee filth that's infiltrated OUR city and OUR University. It ain't your daddy's WFU no more and I say we build a fucking wall!! That's the only way that we get our identity back.

Build a wall and make the #publicschoolfilth pay for it!

Wakephan is killing it in this thread.

And what areas would you say Wake needs to work on outside of athletics?

Tuition price?
Admin bloat?
What about Wake specifically to you is causing it to "lose its identity".

The first two every school experiences, and Wake is well aware of it.

20% increase in student enrollment
Prioritizing the business school over all others
Professor's don't all have PhDs anymore
Removal of need-blind admission
Plans to move undergrad classes off campus

You know what? I don't think so. At least not the people posting on this thread.

Every single basketball game we lose, even in double-overtime, results in calls for the dismissal of the fucking University president. How many people on this thread can right now tell me about the enrollments in their academic major? Which professors have retired and which new faculty we've appointed in your home department? Maybe you get periodic updates from your fraternity or college. That's just fundraising too.

Wake Forest is for us the sweet hat we wear and bumper sticker we display that give us the opportunity to talk about our college experience or our fandom -- the exaggerated stories we tell at the neighborhood barbecue about how many cool things we did in our early twenties. But most of all it is the performance of our football and basketball teams year in and year out, which gives us a chance to reminisce or complain about how different it was back in our day and to talk shit to our co-workers. Without sports success, we're too embarrassed to even wear that deacs hat or talk shit at the water cooler. That's your loss of identity right there.

Don't mistake your obsessive #phandom with the normal Wake Forest alumni experience.

Is this about how they're going to move some classes to the new Innovation Quarter downtown or is there more to it? There's some cool shit going on down at the med school, so I don't see how increasing undergrad access to it is a problem.

You know a bigger problem for Wake and the continual lack of effort put into basketball and football is that for a number of people that is what keeps them connected to the university since a large percentage go on to more education be it law school, med school etc... I loved my time at Wake and it provided the stepping stone for going and getting my advanced degrees but it's the last school on my list now. Sports allow people to feel connected, the inability of the university to understand that is infuriating. So when Wake hits me up for money I get to weigh it against the other schools that I more recently attended that were more essential in my current success.

You know a bigger problem for Wake and the continual lack of effort put into basketball and football is that for a number of people that is what keeps them connected to the university since a large percentage go on to more education be it law school, med school etc... I loved my time at Wake and it provided the stepping stone for going and getting my advanced degrees but it's the last school on my list now. Sports allow people to feel connected, the inability of the university to understand that is infuriating. So when Wake hits me up for money I get to weigh it against the other schools that I more recently attended that were more essential in my current success.

You're right, but that's also pretty much what I said.

Agreed, I'm not terribly happy with any of these moves either. But they are endemic to higher education, and it seems that Wake thinks these things are necessary to maintain its reputation and ranking.

Got any evidence of the Professors without PhDs thing? I'd argue that outside the business school and business-type adjunct hires (e.g. former NBA players), Wake's reputation as a teaching institution -- the rare Small Liberal Arts University -- depends on employing teaching faculty with terminal degrees. I doubt we'd abandon it so recklessly. From what I've seen, to save money we've gone mostly to 1-year or 2-year non-renewable posts (for PhD-holders) in lieu of new tenure lines, which in my opinion is just as irresponsible, if not more so.

It's hard to tell since I'm from NC, but I feel like NC is better known than the Dakotas. NC has a top 10 population as a state and the Dakotas don't at all. Having more people generally = more people know about it (and various things about it).

Nevermind, this is nonsense, and it shows a real lack of understanding about how higher education works. The problem at schools across the US is not hiring under-qualified instructors without terminal degrees; the problem is choosing instead to hire plenty-qualified PhDs from the growing pool of contingent teachers without full-time faculty positions as adjunct labor. Again, I don't know that Wake is doing this, and I'd bet that they aren't. Yet. But lamenting that Wake is hiring faculty without terminal degrees is completely untrue because there are thousands and thousands of qualified PhD-holders without jobs that will work for poverty-level wages.

Don't mistake your obsessive #phandom with the normal Wake Forest alumni experience.

Save for a few that remain involved with their major departments as a result of their career, the rest just don't really care at all about Wake right now. Sports is about the only connection most alumni have back to their University once they are 2-3 years out, much less 10+. The crowd that showed up at the Orange Bowl, many that rarely even attended games while at Wake, is evidence of that. Besides Charlotte business school events, every alumni event I've ever attended (and the vast majority I've seen planned) has been centered around watching a game at a bar, attending a pro game (when an alumni like CP3 is in town), or hearing a coach speak.

Last edited:
Nevermind, this is nonsense, and it shows a real lack of understanding about how higher education works. The problem at schools across the US is not hiring under-qualified instructors without terminal degrees; the problem is choosing instead to hire plenty-qualified PhDs from the growing pool of contingent teachers without full-time faculty positions as adjunct labor. Again, I don't know that Wake is doing this, and I'd bet that they aren't. Yet. But lamenting that Wake is hiring faculty without terminal degrees is completely untrue because there are thousands and thousands of qualified PhD-holders without jobs that will work for poverty-level wages.

Jesus christ - could you be any more condescending?

Wake used to tout that all their classes were being taught by PhDs. They can't do that anymore. It has nothing to do with tenure vs adjunct.

Again, I don't know that Wake is doing this, and I'd bet that they aren't. Yet. But lamenting that Wake is hiring faculty without terminal degrees is completely untrue

Didn't know this man was Dr. Chris Webber. You hear that, that's the sound of you being wrong!

6f96a278fce4a75e0ca46e6076754af2.jpg

Jesus christ - could you be any more condescending?

Wake used to tout that all their classes were being taught by PhDs. They can't do that anymore. It has nothing to do with tenure vs adjunct.

My post wasn't meant to be condescending. Show me evidence -- any evidence at all -- that a full-time faculty member at Wake doesn't have their terminal degree.

Back