• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AD Ron Wellman Continues to Alienate Fan Base with Delusional Comments

Just curious, what do you want him to say at this point?
"These have clearly been some tough years, and I hold myself 100% accountable for that."

Just anything with a little touch of reality, please.

I understand the frustration. I apologize for the bad years. The concerns are warranted. We understand what's going on and are doing our best to fix it. The way things were handled by the administration has led us to this point and we are working as hard as we can to get out of it.

He probably should just stop talking. If you can't say anything the least bit realistic, don't bother. Just makes people madder.

Wellman is a pompous ass but the real problem is Hatch. He is the architect of the WF culture that Wellman like to reference.

How about not shifting blame continuously to everyone except for himself? Any accountability ever would be great. I mean literally any accountability at all. Dude is disgusting.

Guessing you work for Wake.

Here's a start:

- I take responsibility for where this program is at and has fallen, I will work with Danny to do everything possible to get back on track
- Yes, I am accountable for the hiring of Jeff [Redacted], I acknowledge I made that hire without the consultation of others, and admit he was not the right fit for the position. It was a major mistake on my behalf and has set the program back
- I am deeply concerned about this program, I can certainly understand the concerns of our fanbase in this regard
- Yes Dan, this is an inexperienced staff and there's do no doubt about that. Danny, while an accomplished player, is still learning on the job and we want to support him in his efforts
- The culture is not acceptable at present.
- I plan to resign following the conclusion of basketball season

A shred of honesty and some acceptance of accountability would do wonders for Wellman, but he's incapable of it

If Skip were in Manning's position, he would apologize profusely to the fanbase. I have no doubt about that. The best I can say for Manning at this point is that his legacy is in peril. He should coach harder, coach smarter, recruit harder, recruit smarter, and act with just a hint of passion and sense of urgency on the sidelines. What he is doing currently isn't working. Wellman's presser yesterday should leave Wake fans hopeless as to the foreseeable future. He is just flat out embarrassing and dishonest with the fanbase. i am glad Dan Collins has publicly let it be known that everyone sees through this big charade

I think it's two different things that are connected only by actual degree of job security:

1. The job Ron Wellman is doing
2. The job Danny Manning is doing

I've always been a proponent of giving coaches time to get their own system and players in place except in extreme situations - the [name redacted] case being perhaps the quintessential example of an extreme situation. Wellman has had time here and has done a lot of positive things. That being said the game has clearly passed him by and he needs to be gone. Period. He's being intellectually dishonest with the fan base and treating us like a bunch of morons (and to be honest some of the comments I've seen from Wake fans, they're getting about what they deserve), but don't talk down to a fanbase and expect things to go well. It's offensive quite frankly.

The comments section reaffirms what I already knew. For the most part, our "fans"have to be the biggest bunch of losers I have ever seen. Our school produces more tools every day. They deserve Ron and his dog shit legacy.

I love how they put forward straw-man arguments such as if you want to get rid of Wellman, that means admitting Manning is a failure already and firing him too. I guess whenever an AD is fired at any school, every coach at the school is labeled a failure and fired as well?

I think it's possible to say that Manning should get more time and that Wellman should be fired for his role in the destruction of the basketball program as he definitely shouldn't have hired [name redacted] and probably shouldn't have hired an unproven and inexperienced guy directly afterward. Then if the team shows no improvement in a year or two, the new AD can make the call over what to do with the program.

Reactions: ONW
The comments section reaffirms what I already knew. For the most part, our "fans"have to be the biggest bunch of losers I have ever seen. Our school produces more tools every day. They deserve Ron and his dog shit legacy.

Yep said the same thing earlier to Doofus. It seems mostly to be townies and people from the 80's and earlier who are all aboard the SS Wellman still.

The Staak era bred some loser fans. Let's hope this era doesn't do the same.

"Thank you for accepting my resignation. In return, I proudly announce that I am returning to Wake Forest every cent paid to me over the last six years."

That's a good start. Maybe we can recoup the salary of the most unqualified NCAA D1 coach ever.

Behaving like UNLV and sucking is not a good plan.

It will be interesting to see if some of this "media" criticism builds any momentum that might produce change. I don't think anyone is holding their breath, but Wellman is now being publicly called out in a very real way by two primary media sources that cover Wake athletics. Wellman has not been challenged like this in the media before, has he?

Yep said the same thing earlier to Doofus. It seems mostly to be townies and people from the 80's and earlier who are all aboard the SS Wellman still.

Townies? Hell no. Don't put this shit on us.

The people who are propping up Wellman are the doofus face geriatric cuntwagons that went to Wake and need to have their egos waxed.

This is on you, you fucking losers.

Back