• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Al Skinner

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
BC is 24-58 in ACC play since firing Skinner. I assume their culture is better though?

2010-2012 were pretty sad years...we saw Purnell leave Clemson, Gary Williams retire, Hewitt fired from Gtech, and Skinner fired from BC. All really quality coaches.

2010-2012 were pretty sad years...we saw Purnell leave Clemson, Gary Williams retire, Hewitt fired from Gtech, and Skinner fired from BC. All really quality coaches.

Is there some reason you left Dino Gaudio off this list ?

Is there some reason you left Dino Gaudio off this list ?

Completely forgot about him when listing these to be honest...he wasn't around for nearly as long as the other guys listed.

EDIT: and to be honest I was just listing coaches from other schools anyways.

Last edited:

All were/are great coaches except Hewitt. I know Hewitt made it to a NC game, but he went on to get fired after a short stint with George Mason.

Never understood why was he fired.

Danced 7 of his last 10 seasons. 2 Big East Championships. He had a couple down seasons towards the end but it was sandwiched by a tourney appearance.

Brought in some seriously good players that weren't highly touted: Bell, Smith, Dudley, Rice fuuuu

Talk about an athletic department that has fucked up their revenue sports worse than us. From firing Jagodzinski to the Donahue hire after canning Skinner. Woof.

Never understood why was he fired.

Danced 7 of his last 10 seasons. 2 Big East Championships. He had a couple down seasons towards the end but it was sandwiched by a tourney appearance.

Brought in some seriously good players that weren't highly touted: Bell, Smith, Dudley, Rice fuuuu

Was talking with someone last night about how Skinner was a solid coach. He probably hit close to the ceiling of what BC basketball can be. I think donor's and AD's often time lose sight of the fact that virtually every power 5 program pours millions into their revenue sports, and there are only so many wins to go around.

Add Al Skinner to the list of coaches we could have hired instead of [Redacted]

Was talking with someone last night about how Skinner was a solid coach. He probably hit close to the ceiling of what BC basketball can be. I think donor's and AD's often time lose sight of the fact that virtually every power 5 program pours millions into their revenue sports, and there are only so many wins to go around.

Yup, though he probably surpassed ceiling really, considering competition in the old Big East and now the smashed together ACCeast.

Nuggets%2075-76%20Road%20David%20Thompson,%20Nets.jpg

Al Skinner vs David Thompson from their ABA days

Never understood firing Skinner. Guy always seemed to get much from minimal talent.

Back