• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: Moore doesn't have a problem with stamina

Did Danny get some coaching from Wellman on double-speak?

With our inability to defend, having a shot blocker guarding the paint is huge. I do think that there is a bit of a stamina issue with Moore, but not to the extent that his minutes should've been limited like they have until last night. He should've been getting 20 minutes a game long before last night.
All things being equal, sure. But if Manning is trying to establish a standard of "play if you practice well" mentality, and Manning doesn't see him playing up to that standard (and DT does), I can also understand why Moore doesn't see the court as much as we'd all like. He needs to focus and improve. It definitely looks promising for the future, that's for sure. Dude looked great.

From my view of the game on TV, it sure looked like Doral was totally out of energy a few times. Usually he is a pretty good FT shooter, however at the end of one of his playing stints, he was fouled and both of his FT attempts were no where near the basket. One was very short and the other was wide left so much it barely touched rim. Doral was bending over an grabbing his shorts before each shot like tired guys do. He barely made it to the other end of the court after the miss. Danny took him out at the next stoppage.

Would sure like to see a few more 3 minute spurts from him before the season ends.

All things being equal, sure. But if Manning is trying to establish a standard of "play if you practice well" mentality, and Manning doesn't see him playing up to that standard (and DT does), I can also understand why Moore doesn't see the court as much as we'd all like. He needs to focus and improve. It definitely looks promising for the future, that's for sure. Dude looked great.

That appears to be the way Manning works, but it's clear the older guys just can't bring with the lights on. Certain players are like that. Not excusing it, but given that we were in an 11 game slide I think he should have tried a different tactic. Mentioned this in another thread, but Collins needs to start. Dinos is just not consistent enough in any facet.

3-4 minutes at a stretch seem to be what Doral can handle OK. When his in game time gets up past 5 min he really seems gassed and in need of a breather. It may be (and lets hope it is) a function of him growing very quickly and not everything maturing at the same pace. That is, he has long arms and legs but a very small chest for lung space. His skills look pretty good when he is feeling rested.

3-4 minutes at a stretch seem to be what Doral can handle OK. When his in game time gets up past 5 min he really seems gassed and in need of a breather. It may be (and lets hope it is) a function of him growing very quickly and not everything maturing at the same pace. That is, he has long arms and legs but a very small chest for lung space. His skills look pretty good when he is feeling rested.

I agree. He seems to able to handle 3 in a half.

I'm sorry but a 17/18/19 year old kid should be able to run around for atleast 5 mins c'mon

I'm sorry but a 17/18/19 year old kid should be able to run around for atleast 5 mins c'mon

You can say this, but for Doral it doesn't appear to be true. Look at a replay of last nights game. When Doral was on the floor for more than four minutes he looked and played very tired. Apparently Doral isn't your average college freshman BB player in terms of stamina. He just doesn't have it, and didn't have stamina all through his HS career. Danny has to manage that. If he gets to the point where he can play 30 productive min per game, he could be a real monster.

100% effort at 7'1" 275 is taxing on the cardiovascular system. Probably hard for a dwarf like you to understand.

You can say this, but for Doral it doesn't appear to be true. Look at a replay of last nights game. When Doral was on the floor for more than four minutes he looked and played very tired. Apparently Doral isn't your average college freshman BB player in terms of stamina. He just doesn't have it, and didn't have stamina all through his HS career. Danny has to manage that. If he gets to the point where he can play 30 productive min per game, he could be a real monster.

I understand the dynamic working against him, I'm just saying he is probably is the best shape he will ever be. He should take advantage.

Conditioning should be a big priority for him during the offseason. He's got the chance to be really special. He's got 2 things that are sometimes rare for 7+ footers, especially freshman. 1) He appears to have good hand-eye coordination and overall coordination, and- 2) He has a good frame for his height, he's not a string bean 7 footer. Of the legimate 7 footers I've seen Wake have, he's shown the most skill I think. Duncan I don't think was 7 feet or at least never listed as 7 feet while at Wake.

That appears to be the way Manning works, but it's clear the older guys just can't bring with the lights on. Certain players are like that. Not excusing it, but given that we were in an 11 game slide I think he should have tried a different tactic. Mentioned this in another thread, but Collins needs to start. Dinos is just not consistent enough in any facet.

Ideally, yes. But fouling out in 17 mins vs an undermanned BC team...not good.

Collins is defensive liability, but I don't understand why we just don't use Moore's 5 fouls. He's going to effect shots just standing there. Sunday was the first time it actually made sense to get him out when he was winded because we were thin at the post.

"We're going to play him in short bursts of minutes. That's when he's most effective. And getting off to the start he got off to, you score your first three touches with dunks, you kind of float for a little bit. As a player you do.''

Yall are ignoring the highlighted part of DM's quote. Seems that he sees a decreased effort by Moore after a burst of activity. He understands it's typical ("As a player you do") but maybe trying to instill in him the drive to keep it going instead of "floating". Or maybe he just wants to get someone in there to have a burst of activity instead of making do with Moore "floating"

Collins is defensive liability, but I don't understand why we just don't use Moore's 5 fouls. He's going to effect shots just standing there. Sunday was the first time it actually made sense to get him out when he was winded because we were thin at the post.

So you would have Doral standing at the defensive end once he gets winded and have Wake play offense 4 on 5? There were times last night when he was barely making it past half court when he was near the end of a shift. Danny needs to find a way to play Doral like hockey coaches play lines. Change often.

Back