• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins starting over Doral wednesday vs ND

Who starts probably isn't a big deal, but what concerns me is that Manning seems to be unable or unwilling to adjust or change what he plans to do. If anyone has ever earned the right to start again it's Moore after his performance against BC. I mean, it's fine to say we'll give each one a start in Devin's absense, but circumstances change and a good coach recognizes that and adjusts.

But what if he's starting Collins because he matches up better against Auguste? Isn't that an adjustment instead of starting Moore because he had a good game against BC?

Exactly. With the match ups against ND I would rather have Collins trying to guard their 4 instead of Dinos.

So if you put Collins on Colson, then Doral has to cover Auguste.

And I don't expect Moore to come close to getting the numbers against Augustine like he did against Clifford. Not a good match up.

Who starts probably isn't a big deal, but what concerns me is that Manning seems to be unable or unwilling to adjust or change what he plans to do. If anyone has ever earned the right to start again it's Moore after his performance against BC. I mean, it's fine to say we'll give each one a start in Devin's absense, but circumstances change and a good coach recognizes that and adjusts.

I doubt he flipped a coin to decide which will start each game. Obviously he determined the matchups were better with Moore going against BC (correct) and Collins against ND (we'll see, but I'm worried Auguste is going to get Collins in foul trouble pretty quickly). If Collins struggles/get in foul trouble, obviously Moore will see more minutes.

If Colson plays the 4 I'm not really thrilled with Dinos trying to stop him.

We are wake forest. Moore will foul in 7 min with 2 pts and one blk. We are not allowed to have anything nice.

Can't really say I have a problem with Manning giving each guy a shot in DT's absence. The important adjustments need to come when Devin is back in the lineup.

What's more frustrating is seeing the walk-ons in any scenario that's not garbage time. It's not like we don't have plenty of scholarship players.

I think many of you don't give Manning enough credit for bringing Moore along. As much potential as he reeks, Moore wasn't ready for a lot of productive minutes early on and he has developed more confidence, is stronger around the basket, in better defensive position and less foul prone now to go with his new jump hook. Who is to say throwing him in early over his very tall head would not have hurt him. Some awkward freshmen never develop Doral has developed and Manning should get some credit for it. We have had our share of big men who never get better and end up where they began- just being tall. I also think Manning should get credit for keeping Thomas from imploding/exploding. He is always on the edge of self destruction and Manning has kept him from being a complete train wreck. It is not easy to dig out of the abyss we were in and Manning may or may not be able to do it but he is not as stupid as many of you think he is. Fire away.

You mean for our annual deep run in the acct? Other than getting some hopes up for next year it hardly matters how much anyone plays in the last 3 games.

Both Moore and Collins should start this game if for no other reason than getting them used to the bright lights. Dinos, on occasion, hits big shots, but I don't think he can start in the ACC. He'll get plenty of time and would be a great weapon off the bench.

I totally get, and to some extent agree, with the argument that it made no sense to keep Moore on the bench in the midst of a lost season.

That's a lot different than saying that it was clear that Doral would be putting up 19, 7, 3 if only Manning had played him 20 minutes a game. Not sure why people don't believe that's the best Manning has ever seen Doral play. It's certainly the best I've seen him play.

The game before against Pitt he had 6 points in 13 minutes, but he missed a bunny and was 0-3 at the FT line. Could have easily had 9 points in 13 minutes. Had 5 boards.
The game before against State had had 8 points and 7 boards in 9 minutes.

Am I shocked that he scored 19 points in 20 minutes against BC? No. A little surprised but not shocked. Big athletic guys get easy points in hoops.

Last edited:
Notre Dame
Date Pos Player Injury Status
02/23/16 F Austin Burgett Ankle "?" Wednesday vs. Wake Forest
02/23/16 F Zach Auguste Knee injured last game, "?" Wednesday vs. Wake Forest

The game before against Pitt he had 6 points in 13 minutes, but he missed a bunny and was 0-3 at the FT line. Could have easily had 9 points in 13 minutes. Had 5 boards.
The game before against State had had 8 points and 7 boards in 9 minutes.

Am I shocked that he scored 19 points in 20 minutes against BC? No. A little surprised but not shocked. Big athletic guys get easy points in hoops.

Of course it helps when you have 6 points in the 1st minute of the game.

With any appreciable time, he should be able to score 10. If the guards pay attention/we run plays for him, two dunks a game. One garbage basket on a rebound put back. Two FT's and one actual shot.

He appears to have really good hands and he doesn't think about what to do with the ball once he gets it. Was it Shoemaker or Rafi that was the master of the tripple pump fake standing under the rim instead of just going up and slamming it? Moore knows what a high percentage shot is.

Back