• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins starting over Doral wednesday vs ND

I know it's part of the purpose of message boards to debate, discuss and trash coaching decisions. It's part of the life of a fan, especially one who actually cares and invests in his or her team.
That said, it's pretty comical to think that Moore has been practicing the entire year in the same way he played against BC. Manning wants to win and if Moore is ready to consistently play at a level that helps us win, he would be getting all the minutes he could handle. Manning has clearly improved Moore this year and I don't have a reason to think that improvement will stop. Moore will be good for us but I don't have any reason to doubt Manning's observation that Moore played his best ball of the past couple years against BC.
For the next 2-3 games, Moore will average more minutes per game than he did as a HS senior.

I know it's part of the purpose of message boards to debate, discuss and trash coaching decisions. It's part of the life of a fan, especially one who actually cares and invests in his or her team.
That said, it's pretty comical to think that Moore has been practicing the entire year in the same way he played against BC. Manning wants to win and if Moore is ready to consistently play at a level that helps us win, he would be getting all the minutes he could handle. Manning has clearly improved Moore this year and I don't have a reason to think that improvement will stop. Moore will be good for us but I don't have any reason to doubt Manning's observation that Moore played his best ball of the past couple years against BC.
For the next 2-3 games, Moore will average more minutes per game than he did as a HS senior.

I don't know how he's been practicing, but I do know that for what seems like that last several games, almost anytime he's been in the game he's given us a spark. Whether it be a put back dunk, blocked shot, rebounding, he's been a positive in the limited minutes he's played. I think the legitimate question is why did it take Thomas getting suspended for Manning to give Moore more time than he was getting, given that he has been such a positive in his limited minutes. I do think despite what they say, stamina is an issue with him.

Not sure I have seen a recent Wake player single-handedly alter games the way Moore seems to do. That just gives me hope for next year. Park Wilbekin/Washington on the 3pt line, Moore in the lane, and let Crawford/Childress drive it into the lane. Moore's man simply can't help because all you have to do is chuck it up 1 foot above the rim and he will slam it down. Potentially huge weapon we have not had in a long time.

I don't know how he's been practicing, but I do know that for what seems like that last several games, almost anytime he's been in the game he's given us a spark. Whether it be a put back dunk, blocked shot, rebounding, he's been a positive in the limited minutes he's played. I think the legitimate question is why did it take Thomas getting suspended for Manning to give Moore more time than he was getting, given that he has been such a positive in his limited minutes. I do think despite what they say, stamina is an issue with him.

Exactly. It's somewhat disingenuous for Manning to say Moore has never played that well when much of the fanbase has been calling for Moore to play more because he plays that well in 2-4 minute bursts.

Exactly. It's somewhat disingenuous for Manning to say Moore has never played that well when much of the fanbase has been calling for Moore to play more because he plays that well in 2-4 minute bursts.

So your thinking is that Manning has refused to give Moore extended minutes in spite of his practice performance being in line with his performance against BC?

So your thinking is that Manning has refused to give Moore extended minutes in spite of his practice performance being in line with his performance against BC?

I'm with you on this. Obviously Manning isn't losing on purpose, so if Doral could have won us more games then he would have been playing more. Yeah he had good 4 minute bursts the last several games but if Manning thought he was ready to play ~20 minutes in place of Devin I'm sure he would have. Playing Doral with Devin is hard because Devin has no jump shot (so you basically have two centers in the game instead of one PF). That being said I would have liked to see Doral and Collins play together a little more throughout the year since Collins has good touch on his elbow-range shots. Even if that was to happen though, Doral would still only get about 8 minutes a game. Manning would be taking the four extra minutes away from Devin and giving them to Doral.

Not sure I have seen a recent Wake player single-handedly alter games the way Moore seems to do. That just gives me hope for next year. Park Wilbekin/Washington on the 3pt line, Moore in the lane, and let Crawford/Childress drive it into the lane. Moore's man simply can't help because all you have to do is chuck it up 1 foot above the rim and he will slam it down. Potentially huge weapon we have not had in a long time.

Seems like a lot of people forget about Woods for next season. I don't expect him to be a savior, but it sounds like he should be an upgrade over Wilbekin in terms of being a more consistent shooter and providing more size on the defensive end.

Seems like a lot of people forget about Woods for next season. I don't expect him to be a savior, but it sounds like he should be an upgrade over Wilbekin in terms of being a more consistent shooter and providing more size on the defensive end.

I agree. I'm optimisticly hopeful that Crawford, Moore, Collins, and Woods will become a solid nucleus for three years together. They all have different, complementary games.

I'm with you on this. Obviously Manning isn't losing on purpose, so if Doral could have won us more games then he would have been playing more. Yeah he had good 4 minute bursts the last several games but if Manning thought he was ready to play ~20 minutes in place of Devin I'm sure he would have. Playing Doral with Devin is hard because Devin has no jump shot (so you basically have two centers in the game instead of one PF). That being said I would have liked to see Doral and Collins play together a little more throughout the year since Collins has good touch on his elbow-range shots. Even if that was to happen though, Doral would still only get about 8 minutes a game. Manning would be taking the four extra minutes away from Devin and giving them to Doral.
You're assuming the coach is competent at managing players' minutes/substitutions.

You're assuming the coach is competent at managing players' minutes/substitutions.

No, his minutes/substitutions have been a little iffy all season. What I am saying is that it's hard to play Doral more minutes when the person you're taking those minutes away from is Devin Thomas. You can't play Devin and Moore together too much because of Devin's lack of a jump shot, as I said in the post you replied to. So yeah, Manning probably does realize that in order to play Moore more he would have to take minutes directly away from the team leader in points and rebounds. Which is a good reason not to do that. If Devin had a mid-range jump shot then I think Manning would have been playing them together a lot more.

No, his minutes/substitutions have been a little iffy all season. What I am saying is that it's hard to play Doral more minutes when the person you're taking those minutes away from is Devin Thomas. You can't play Devin and Moore together too much because of Devin's lack of a jump shot, as I said in the post you replied to. So yeah, Manning probably does realize that in order to play Moore more he would have to take minutes directly away from the team leader in points and rebounds. Which is a good reason not to do that. If Devin had a mid-range jump shot then I think Manning would have been playing them together a lot more.
No, but you can play Doral instead of Dinos in the middle when Cat Barber is driving down the lane and getting to the bucket at ease on like 5 straight possessions.

Doral has played 178 minutes this year on a team that has won 1 game in January and 1 game in February. I have trouble with that. At least get him ready for next year by forcing in a few more minutes for him.

In their limited minutes on the floor together, DT and DM have put up really good numbers.

I still don't get the argument that Devin has to be an undersized 5 with no other post presence so we are going to play a small 4 and get crushed inside argument because...........is a very compelling one. That lineup was 1-13 in the ACC.

He never played like that in high school, AAU etc. so obviously I am surprised by how good he looks in an ACC game...

WTF?

In their limited minutes on the floor together, DT and DM have put up really good numbers.

I still don't get the argument that Devin has to be an undersized 5 with no other post presence so we are going to play a small 4 and get crushed inside argument because...........is a very compelling one. That lineup was 1-13 in the ACC.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to play them together. It's hard for Doral to not be productive when he's on the floor solely because of his size. What I'm saying is that a lineup of Doral with Collins or Dinos is probably significantly better than with Devin since Collins at least has a jump shot and Dinos (whether he's making them or not) can camp out at the three point line and free up space for Doral's monster put backs. The main issue I have with Devin and Doral playing at the same time is that if Devin catches the ball at the free throw line/elbow, the defender will say off of him every time which will make both of them easier to defend. Just my opinion though.

Part of me does wish Manning would just play our most talented guys at the same time though just to see what happens. I hate three guard lineups too.

Doral has played 178 minutes this year on a team that has won 1 game in January and 1 game in February. I have trouble with that. At least get him ready for next year by forcing in a few more minutes for him.

I've thought this same thing. It's not going to stunt his growth by giving him more minutes. The season has been in the gahhhbage for a while now so get ready for the future. Play the kids you expect back next year, the seniors, and obviously your nucleus (the 3 freshman) and see if you can get some momentum.

Back