• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

We haven't made the NCAA finals in how long? Isn't it like 2008 or 2009?

Basketball coaching and golf coaching are not comparable. My longstanding gripe with Haas is that he couldn't recruit. But I can't blame him if players don't perform on a given weekend. So if this team is as talented as everyone seems to believe, it's not on him. I thought we should have gotten rid of him a long time ago but having kept him I'm not sure why the result of this week should be the last straw.

I generally agree with this. It's not like Haas started the wrong line up of golfers, or failed to recruit golfers that can compete on this level. Will Zalatoris is one of the best amateurs players in the world (the kid is playing in a PGA event this weekend). Not sure how Haas can be blamed for Zalatoris throwing up on himself in the NCAA regionals, unless he is taking out WZ for a bender each night on the road in Tucson.

Coaching college golf is all about recruiting and psychology. All you can do is recruit the best players you can, with the view of how they will project over 4 years. Difficult to do, as often the best players at age 17 aren't the best at age 22. So you have to project how they will improve over the course of 4 years.

Then, its all about understanding each individual player and what makes them tick. Haddock was a master psychologist in this respect. He knew Jay needed to be coddled while Curtis needed to play pissed off.

Then, its all about understanding each individual player and what makes them tick. Haddock was a master psychologist in this respect. He knew Jay needed to be coddled while Curtis needed to play pissed off.

Exactly. The coach somewhat acts as the caddie for the whole team.

GT is off to a hot start -4 through first 5 holes.

Zalatoris not so much. +2 through 3. Crazy.

It is odd to me that the NCAA allows these courses to be setup so differently. In one regional a team that is -17 is outside the top 5, and in another a team that is +40 is going to make the championships. Texas is -37 through two rounds, and then the leader in another regional being over par is a little extreme.

Hole 11 is basically a par 4 at this point, so all teams who started on the back are going to go low early.

Correct. The teams going off the back will get an early boost as the back has played easier all week.

Still, we need to have 5 good scores to day to widen our margin for error.

The back seems way harder than the front. Need to survive the front without too much damage. I'd rather be playing this way than starting on the back and trying to hang on.

Agree that we got the better draw. Holes 7-9 have provided some high scores, so those teams needing a strong finish on those holes will have it even tougher, whereas we have made some birdies on 16-18 this week.

He is singlehandedly shooting us out of the tournament. Given his track record, I have to wonder if he is healthy.

He was hurt earlier in the year, not sure he's really played very well since.

Everyone relax. Ton of golf to play, nothing that says Will can't get it back to E and wind up counting. You just cant ever give up in college golf.

Wake could finish anywhere from second to eighth at this point. Zalatoris needs to get a few back to take some pressure off the rest of the team.

Everyone relax. Ton of golf to play, nothing that says Will can't get it back to E and wind up counting. You just cant ever give up in college golf.

Keep telling yourself that. He's more likely to shoot 84 than he is to shoot even

It's beginning to look like our only hope is that WZ's score doesn't count and everyone one else plays well. He is five over after six right now.

Back