• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Well, both had their main star depart last year that could have helped immensely their cases. More understandable for Collin ($$ signing bonus) than just turning golf pro.

When you are a professional golfer missing the cut is not playing well

Yeah, I found that post curious as well. If Will keeps “playing well” like that he’ll be selling insurance in no time.

His decision to leave with a semester to go is still one of the most selfish, mind boggling decisions I’ve seen. Regardless, I wish him well in q-school this fall. Hopefully, he’s able to get his web card.

Seems that Haas and Manning are competing for Wake's worst coach

It’s a tough call. I’d give Haas the edge though, as he didn’t inherit a grade A dumpster fire like Manning. Plus, he has many more years of proven underachievement relative to an even prouder program history. Should have been fired years ago but never will be because of his last name.

Jerry's still got a lot of game. Currently tied with Jay and Billy Andrade at -8. One shot back if being in the top 10.

Men's golf won the Seminole Intercollegiate the last few days and Sophomore Parker Gilliam won his first individual title. For some reason Cameron Young didn't play and I can't find anything online as to why. Did he leave school and turn pro?

Not much to go on, but Young is still listed on the official WF roster. IIRC, when Zalatoris went pro, WF immediately deleted him from the roster.

BTW, after turning pro last January, Zalatoris made one cut with his exemptions ($14K earned), and this season, he is not listed on either the PGA or Web.com tour. Is he playing overseas? In retrospect, seems like his decision to leave WF with one semester to go was ill-advised.

Not much to go on, but Young is still listed on the official WF roster. IIRC, when Zalatoris went pro, WF immediately deleted him from the roster.

BTW, after turning pro last January, Zalatoris made one cut with his exemptions ($14K earned), and this season, he is not listed on either the PGA or Web.com tour. Is he playing overseas? In retrospect, seems like his decision to leave WF with one semester to go was ill-advised.

Totally agree.
He would have helped Wake and himself to stay one more semester and finish things up.

I asked about Young on the men's golf twitter feed and they were not responsive and they usually are pretty quick to interact.

Understatement.

Looks like our men's golf team is going to copy the ladies performance from this past weekend.
With 3 holes to play, the men have a 9 stroke lead at the Valspar at -28. Auburn is second at -19.
Lots of very good teams in this tourney. Very strong for the Deacs.

Looks like our men's golf team is going to copy the ladies performance from this past weekend.
With 3 holes to play, the men have a 9 stroke lead at the Valspar at -28. Auburn is second at -19.
Lots of very good teams in this tourney. Very strong for the Deacs.

Wake finished at -25 and won by 6 strokes.
Very nice win.

Looked like a stacked field with 7 of the top 10 teams.

I didn’t know the men’s team was up to #3 in the country. They tied a program record team round today (-19) and are in first place by 2 shots. Cameron Young is in the individual lead by 6 shots.

When you win tournaments you rise in the rankings. That said, they have been highly ranked in the past only to flame out at the end of the year. It appears the team has good depth but may lack a great player to lead the team.

When you win tournaments you rise in the rankings. That said, they have been highly ranked in the past only to flame out at the end of the year. It appears the team has good depth but may lack a great player to lead the team.

Cameron young?

Per Golfstat men's rankings we have 3 players ranked between 20-30 nationally, with Cameron Young 22. And then our 4-6 are all ranked around 100 nationally. That's pretty strong.

I referred to Golfweek. Bae at 21, Young at 49, Aoshima at 80 and Chacarra at 102. Golfstat has Young at 22, Bae at 27, Aoshima at 28 and Chacarra at 101. That is definitely better and it is a strong line up. Bae, Young and Aoshima are a collective 15-34 against the Top 25 per Golfstat. End of year that can make a difference. I'm irrationally hoping for a Top 5 finish. Hoping the same for the ladies and they have Kupcho. Probably an unfair comparison.

Back