• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

Cal just tied us and they are -11 for the day 7 better than Wake. Just hope we run out of course before we run out of lead

On to the NCAA's! Quit your damn worrying. Geez the guys played well.

Men's golf is extremely more competitive than it was back when haddock was coach. Haas has certainly had problems with teams not playing well in the postseason. But calling for him to be fired right before the NCAA finals is a curious take. Seems like we're set up to be pretty consistently top 10 quality for a while now

Extremely more competitive and also about 25 x more teams now playing. Plus there were basically unlimited scholarships back in the 70's when I was in school and we were loaded with a "B" team of golfers that could beat most college teams. When you had a roster that had a Scott Hoch sitting on the sidelines his freshman & sophomore year not playing any matches while the team was winning a national title, that is strong. Then he comes out & becomes the first since Arnie to win back to back conference titles as a junior & senior.

Extremely more competitive and also about 25 x more teams now playing. Plus there were basically unlimited scholarships back in the 70's when I was in school and we were loaded with a "B" team of golfers that could beat most college teams. When you had a roster that had a Scott Hoch sitting on the sidelines his freshman & sophomore year not playing any matches while the team was winning a national title, that is strong. Then he comes out & becomes the first since Arnie to win back to back conference titles as a junior & senior.

You are correct.
Our golf team in the 70's was loaded like Alabama and Clemson football are today.

I would suggest that there were far fewer quality players in the 60's and 70's than now. Jessie was a master and getting his teams to play well. I would not say he just had an easier road. That was proven when he was driven off and the program fell off considerably. He did spoil those of us who were around during those glory years.

I would suggest that there were far fewer quality players in the 60's and 70's than now. Jessie was a master and getting his teams to play well. I would not say he just had an easier road. That was proven when he was driven off and the program fell off considerably. He did spoil those of us who were around during those glory years.

Arnie was a far more relevant recruiting advantage then than now. Players who revere the history of the game may still be inclined toward Wake on account of his love for the school; but I suspect most have no idea as to his charismatic influence upon the game.

We just wrapped up our best regular season in arguably 20+ years, had a good showing at ACC's with our all-ACC #2 golfer (who also had the 3rd or 4th best best single season scoring average in the last 30 years), and just comfortably made it thru regionals while being led by a freshman. The season is already a success, and the roster is pretty loaded for the next few years. Now let's get to match play and make it one of our best ever.

'86 NATTY year grad here- still had it rolling into the mid '80's.

The influence of foreign players is much more significant now too. Even more so in tennis.

We just wrapped up our best regular season in arguably 20+ years, had a good showing at ACC's with our all-ACC #2 golfer (who also had the 3rd or 4th best best single season scoring average in the last 30 years), and just comfortably made it thru regionals while being led by a freshman. The season is already a success, and the roster is pretty loaded for the next few years. Now let's get to match play and make it one of our best ever.

This

We discarded a 74, 78 and 73 over 3 days, for an average of 75. All 3 were different players. For the season we averaged just under 75 for our throw away scores, which is one of the top averages in the nation. We have great depth. Hell, we don't even start a guy who won an event this year. If the NCAA course is one where driver is in play, I really like our chances to make match play.

Top 30 teams who didn't make the finals:

Texas Tech (15)
NC State (24)
Florida State (27)
Alabama (28)
UCLA (29)

LSU (14) is tied with Ole Miss for the last spot with 2 holes left and South Carolina (17) will be in a playoff against Colorado State for the last spot in their regional.

At least wait until the season is over. It will look pretty silly if we end up winning the Natty this year.

Jesse was a great motivator, but Arnie helped a ton in recruiting in the 60’s and 70’s. WF had 8-10 guys on scholarship until the NCAA cut the limit to 5 (The ‘74 and ‘75 teams had Curtis, Jay, Byman, Thore, Argabrite , Hoch, Saylor, Chapman and others on scholarship).That really hurt because WF has a hard time attracting talented players who will accept a partial scholarship or pay their own way. The tough academics make recruiting a bit tougher as well. For instance, Coastal Carolina or Augusta St. can recruit 10 or so players for 5 spots and split the scholarships. The players really don’t have to worry about academics or be good students (Patrick Reid, DJ, etc.)

Top 30 teams who didn't make the finals:

Texas Tech (15)
NC State (24)
Florida State (27)
Alabama (28)
UCLA (29)

LSU (14) is tied with Ole Miss for the last spot with 2 holes left and South Carolina (17) will be in a playoff against Colorado State for the last spot in their regional.

Looks like Southern Cal made a big late comeback and snuck in at the expense of Arkansas - the host school for the national championships.

So ... every single year we have the exact same now versus early 70s college landscape discussion ... and every single year it is "thanks" to Bud.

LSU and South Carolina both advanced. 25 of the top 30 are in the Finals along with two unranked teams (SMU and Georgia Southern).

Back