• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question about firing one up

one4theroad

Reaction score
Can anyone make an educated guess at how many ACC schools regularly but randomly drug test their men's basketball and football players... And secondly, what percentage of starters in the ACC in the Aforementioned money sports do you think smoke pot at least occasionally? Does it bother you that WFU tests it's players though testing is not required by the NCAA?"

Can anyone make an educated guess at how many ACC schools regularly but randomly drug test their men's basketball and football players... And secondly, what percentage of starters in the ACC in the Aforementioned money sports do you think smoke pot at least occasionally? Does it bother you that WFU tests it's players though testing is not required by the NCAA?"

It's done if there is a reported incident.

A lot if schools drug test athletes, it's not just a wake thing. A postive from failing a school test is you aren't suspend for a whole year like if you fail a NCAA test.

I'd guess approximately 25% of men's basketball and football players do illegal drugs while an scholarship in college. That is probably a conservative %.

It does not bother me that Wake Forest tests players. It does bother me that Wake Forest seems to punish players harsher as compared to other colleges for the same infractions.

in the early 2000's guys always had plenty of advance warnings of upcoming "random" drug tests. Also the known clean guys typically were "randomly" selected more often than not.

Last edited:
Good thing we weren't testing in the 70's. The stories I could tell.

I'm pretty sure this is not correct, but I don't have the NCAA policies in front of me. The NCAA has drug tested since the mid-80's and pot is one of the banned substances. Wake may have stricter policies and punishments, but Wake is not the sole buzz-kill here. :squint:

According to the NCAA's description of its drug testing program, the NCAA conducts year-round testing of performance enhancing drugs (PED) but not recreational or "street" drugs (I think marijuana and heroin are considered "street" drugs but cocaine is considered a PED by the NCAA). The NCAA tests for all substances only during NCAA championships:

The program involves urine collection and laboratory analyses for substances on a list of banned-drug classes developed by the NCAA Board of Governors.

This list consists of substances generally purported to be performance enhancing and/or potentially harmful to the health and safety of the student-athlete.

Notably:

•Student-athletes are held responsible for use of all banned substances at all times

The NCAA year-round testing program may test for anabolic agents, diuretics and masking agents, peptide hormones, beta-2 agonists and beta blockers. Stimulants and street drugs are generally not tested in NCAA year-round testing.

•The NCAA championship testing program may test for all banned drug classes, and include tests for street drugs and stimulants.

•Other testing occasions, such as exit tests, follow-up tests and suspected manipulation, may include testing for all banned drug class.​

Amazingly MLB also does not test for marijuana or several other "drugs of abuse"--MLB players are not subjected to random testing for any drugs of abuse, including marijuana. A player will only enter MLB’s drug treatment program if he is suspected of using a drug of abuse, in which case the player will be referred to an MLB treatment board. The treatment board will then conduct an initial evaluation of the player to determine if he should be placed in an official treatment program.

Amazingly MLB also does not test for marijuana or several other "drugs of abuse"--MLB players are not subjected to random testing for any drugs of abuse, including marijuana. A player will only enter MLB’s drug treatment program if he is suspected of using a drug of abuse, in which case the player will be referred to an MLB treatment board. The treatment board will then conduct an initial evaluation of the player to determine if he should be placed in an official treatment program.

Have you ever smoked grass, reff? Any other recreational drugs? Alcohol, anything?

Back