• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Talk to me about boats and boating

I'd be really wary of buying a used boat as a first-time boat owner, which 923 appears to be (unless you're just dropping a grand or two on something simply to get on the water). Following up on my post above about working on the boat being the actual hobby and the time on the water being an ancillary benefit, in my experience most people who are selling their boat are doing so because they did not enjoy all of the work. Therefore, the boat is likely to have problems. They may be small problems, but those small problems often end up being big problems.
If you know what you are doing then sure, you can often get good bargains and fix them back up relatively easily. But I wouldn't recommend that for a novice who has indicated that he wants to keep the boat away from his house and just pay it conjugal visits on weekends.

By the way, right now is the absolute best time to buy a used boat because the market is flooded. It's the first thing to go for sale when the tax bill comes.

You mean there are actually some Americans that aren't getting their billions back?

I'd be really wary of buying a used boat as a first-time boat owner, which 923 appears to be (unless you're just dropping a grand or two on something simply to get on the water). Following up on my post above about working on the boat being the actual hobby and the time on the water being an ancillary benefit, in my experience most people who are selling their boat are doing so because they did not enjoy all of the work. Therefore, the boat is likely to have problems. They may be small problems, but those small problems often end up being big problems.
If you know what you are doing then sure, you can often get good bargains and fix them back up relatively easily. But I wouldn't recommend that for a novice who has indicated that he wants to keep the boat away from his house and just pay it conjugal visits on weekends.

Pontoons have the fewest moving parts of any boat. It's an aluminum frame, toons, astroturf, and an outboard. The modern four stroke outboards are extremely low maintenance. I do all the work on my boats, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 1-5 year old gently used pontoon with a four stroke Yamaha with less than 200 hours. We're talking tried and true motors that go well over a thousand of hours before any real work needs to be done. If new gives you peace of mind, go for it!

Is there any sort of universal or best option boat for being able to pull skiers but also go offshore to fish?

I feel like I would want more of a jack of all trades type of deal.

Is there any sort of universal or best option boat for being able to pull skiers but also go offshore to fish?

Something with a center console.

tuiga.jpg

I'll be honest, having one of each, I wouldnt want a boat that is a jack of all trades going offshore, especially out of sight of land.

Yeah, but you can pull water skiers on a 20' Whaler with a 150 HP motor.

I'M ON A BOAT AND IT'S GOING FAST AND I GOT A NAUTICAL THEMED PASHMINA AFGHAN

I'd want something with higher walls than a Whaler. My grandfather has a 19' Carolina Skiff (brand, not a skiff) with similar wall height, and it gets dicy when the seas are slightly active. Dad's got a 25' Roballo with high walls and its a dream.

Weirdly, I learned to ski behind a 1987 20' Boston Whaler Outrage CC pushed by an old school 150 Black Max Mercury. Was my grandfather's boat. Did just fine. Pretty fast boat actually.

i'm not going to do any engine work, so a reliable engine is key and I appreciate the tips on looking for a Yamaha. I'm definitely open to a used boat if I can find a suitable one with a low-hour Yamaha engine. I'm the kind of person who hates buying new cars and taking the immediate depreciation hit.

Might want to spend some time hanging around in bars near marinas. Get some very unofficial scuttlebutt about who good reliable mechanics are and which dealers are more honest (less dishonest?) than others. A good mechanic and boat inspector is someone you are going to need if you don't do the work yourself. Investing in a few drinks can pay major dividends later, if done correctly.

Back to the OP.

As several suggested get a Hurricaine. It will probably survive stacking better than a tri-toon. You will get a trailer with either.

Get a friend to pull you if you wanna go to other lakes or the coast. Boating is a social activity just like drinking.

I am thinking about getting a hydro foil wakesurf board.

Also wouldn't mind getting a hybrid that I could use behind the boat and in the actual ocean surf.

Any bro's got some recs for this kinda thing?

My nextdoor neighbor bought a 2019 23' Wakesetter LSV in maybe August. It is pretty ridiculous, but so is its pricetag, I think he dropped like a buck twenty five on it. You gotta be on it every damn day to justify that cost. But his wife and kids love it and he is otherwise an asshole, so maybe it is worth it to some degree. It is admittedly pretty cool though, as long as I'm not the one paying for it. I don't mind covering the gas.

ETA I completely read that wrong, I thought you meant you wanted to get a hydrofoil wakesurf boat. Yeah, get the damn board, they are fun as hell and a hundred+ thousand cheaper. But I wouldn't get a hybrid, just get one of each so you know the ocean board will work okay.

Last edited:
My nextdoor neighbor bought a 2019 23' Wakesetter LSV in maybe August. It is pretty ridiculous, but so is its pricetag, I think he dropped like a buck twenty five on it. You gotta be on it every damn day to justify that cost. But his wife and kids love it and he is otherwise an asshole, so maybe it is worth it to some degree. It is admittedly pretty cool though, as long as I'm not the one paying for it. I don't mind covering the gas.

ETA I completely read that wrong, I thought you meant you wanted to get a hydrofoil wakesurf boat. Yeah, get the damn board, they are fun as hell and a hundred+ thousand cheaper. But I wouldn't get a hybrid, just get one of each so you know the ocean board will work okay.

Already have the boat, but yeah they look pretty cool so I think it is going to be the winter addition to the toys.

Back