• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Talk to me about boats and boating

I'd love to have a boat in 5 years when the kids are older. May split the cost with my bro. We live ~45mins from Norman and Wylie and we go to Sunset Beach every year for at least a week.

I'd love to have a boat in 5 years when the kids are older. May split the cost with my bro. We live ~45mins from Norman and Wylie and we go to Sunset Beach every year for at least a week.

Outboard, right?

Outboard, right?

I get the allure of that, but to me too much pain in the ass to go from fresh to saltwater style boats plus the trailering involved for one week. If you are going to use it more on Norman/Wylie, I'd go with a sterndrive or pontoon and then just rent a boat while you are at the beach and let the saltwater be someone else's problem. I wouldn't get an outboard / center console just for that one week out of the year.

I've never understood the allure of pontoons, unless you're content just cruising/chilling (which I guess a lot of people are). We have a 1988 ski boat (inboard/outboard) that is probably worth $2K, but runs great and pulls skiers/wakeboarders/tubers just fine. Don't have to worry about messing it up bumping a dock, fishing, etc.

It is interesting how many more nice center consoles I'm seeing at the lake these days, though. Assume it's a mix of rednecks wanting to be cool/liking that look better and also people who use them for both lake/ocean. Tons of Trump flags flying from those last week.

Agreed, it seems like now at least 10% on the lake are center consoles, whereas 3 or 4 years ago it was literally only the po-po so it was easy to tell when they were coming. They look nice, but the relative lack of seating and shade don't make them ideal for laking to me unless you are just hardcore fishing, in which case a bass boat still makes more sense at a much lower price.

I've never been a huge pontoon fan and don't have one, but they've grown on me with kids. Basically a floating playpen. And the newer ones can get pretty powerful, especially the tri-toons. Put it this way, for the lake I'd definitely take a tri-toon with a good engine over a nice center console.

Tons of Trump flags flying from those last week.
. Saw some assclown like that on Lake James last weekend. Seems yelling politics (figuratively) when people are just trying to enjoy some peaceful time on the water is a shitty thing to do.

My friend called me to tell me about huge waves in Newport Beach yesterday afternoon/early evening. Some reports were 6-8'. Others say as high as 12-15'. Roads were flooded, a couple of cars were flushed away and a few boats were pulled from their moorings.

Coming in at 8 ft, at 8 seconds eastcoast, winds offshore. #FIRING.

Saw a bunch of fourth of July footage of the Wedge absolutely bombing triple overhead 12 foot Hawaiian in Newport.

Last edited:
Back