• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Talk to me about boats and boating

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
My wife grew up on boats and has been kind of agitating to get one for years. I have come around to the point where I am seriously considering it. I have many questions and I'm hoping there are boaters here who can help me.

1. The boat will need to be based at a lake because I've no place to keep it at home and no desire to trailer it. I live in Greensboro. I am looking for good information on slips for rent and marinas who will store and maintain the boat for me.

2. Which lake? Probably boils down to Badin, High Rock, or maybe Smith Mountain. Needs to be close to home so we can get to and from the boat easily, so about an hour or hour and a half from GSO is the max to get to the marina where the boat lives.

3. Dealers that you have had good or bad experiences with.

4. The boat will probably be a moderately priced triple log pontoon suitable for partying, family stuff and possibly towing a skier. Good brands? Brands I should stay away from?

5. Other general tips and advice. I plan to take a Power Squadron or similar boating safety course.

seriously though. a friend of mine what sounds like may have accidentally on purpose sunk his to get rid of that money pit.

Do you know what you want to use it for? If it's just basic fishing, cruising and water sports, just rent one whenever you want to go to the lake.

Last edited:
Obligatory "floats, flies, or fucks"

You do you. Happy wife, happy life.

But a boat is the last fucking "luxury/lifestyle" good I'd ever buy. Also, if you have kids who play sports you'll only be able to use it 2.5 months a year.

Save your money. Buy a lake house, then get a boat.

Oh, and get a boat where you won't look like an idiot pulling skiers if you have to get a boat.

Two Best Days of Boat Ownership is the Day You Buy and the Day You Sell!!!

Back