• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tournament Thread NWT

Georgia was a 14 seed when they won four games as the last place team the year the SEC site got hit by a tornado and I think they were around .500 entering the NCAAs overall. That included winning two games in one day and three games in 30 hours due to the venue change.

We would be 16-19 overall against an extremely difficult schedule, a solid non-conference effort, and a 2-16 conference record. We would also have won five games in a row (thanks for the math #'s) as well as have four wins in four days over top 40 teams in the nation with at least two of those likely coming against a top 10 team.

I think it's likely we'd be a 15 or 16 seed not in the First Four. The first four is the worst four teams in the tournament and then the last four at-large teams. So we can't make the latter and we wouldn't be part of the former. So I guess we probably wouldn't be part of the First Four? Tough to tell. I mean there are already two teams in the tournament (Florida Gulf Coast and Austin Peay) who are 50+ spots worse than us on KenPom so we're already pretty far ahead of those teams and I would expect there to be three or four more in total who would be worse than we currently stand (128).

Then we would just need to make the Final Four to lock up a .500 record !

It would be pretty annoying to be a 2 seed and play another P5 team that just won 5 straight games, and presumably 3 vs top 10 KP teams.

There will be some interesting seeding this year especially if Stephen F. Austin, Little Rock, and Monmouth all win their conference tourneys and Wichita State gets in.

Wichita State would likely be in the First Four as the 11th best team in KenPom. Forget being the other First Four team they're playing or even the 4/5/6 seed that would have to play them in the first round - but if you're a 1 seed on that side of the bracket you've gotta be pissed if they're in the 12/13 slot because you essentially then have a real 4 seed, a real 5 seed, and then a team that is actually around a 3 seed as well.

I think Wichita will probably be higher than that. Teams the committee doesn't know what to do with tend to wind up in that 8/9 slot, I think that's their most likely home. And last year was a sign the committee is starting to use metrics.

A pain in the ass for whatever #1 seed would potentially wind up getting them, for sure

I agree.
It should be the ACC tournament ends and shortly after is the NCAA pairings show.
It made for a heck of a Sunday afternoon/evening.

If you are sitting at home watching it, I guess that makes sense. If you are actually trying to attend the game, it's difficult and just becomes a pain. The semis and final belong in prime time on Friday/Saturday evening.

Can't wait for the tournament to start...oh wait...yeah I can.

I think Wichita will probably be higher than that. Teams the committee doesn't know what to do with tend to wind up in that 8/9 slot, I think that's their most likely home. And last year was a sign the committee is starting to use metrics.

A pain in the ass for whatever #1 seed would potentially wind up getting them, for sure

Yeah I thought for some reason Wichita was much closer to the bubble than Bracketology has them (a 7 seed).

Georgia was a 14 seed when they won four games as the last place team the year the SEC site got hit by a tornado and I think they were around .500 entering the NCAAs overall. That included winning two games in one day and three games in 30 hours due to the venue change.

I watched an E:60 on this last week. Crazy to hear what they had to do to get that tournament finished. Also it was hilarious to watch the interviews with the redneck UK fans who weren't allowed in even though they had tickets. Excellent use of the English language.

Fun tourney facts from Ken Pom:

WF has a:

- 35% chance of beating State (I think it's a little better than that)
- 5% chance of beating State and Duke
- 1.2% chance of beating State, ND and Duke
- 0.2% (that's 2 out of a 1000) of getting to the ACC Final
- 0.02% (that's 2 out of 10,000) of winning the ACC tourney. (KP has UVA as the favorite with a 39.6% chance of winning the tournament).

So, there's a chance!

ACC Tourney Records since 1999:
Duke 37- 7
Notre Dame 3- 1
North Carolina 23-15
North Carolina St. 21-17
Miami FL 12-10
Pittsburgh 2- 2
Florida St. 14-16
Boston College 8-10
Virginia Tech 7-11
Georgia Tech 10-17
Virginia 8-16
Wake Forest 7-17
Clemson 6-17
Syracuse 0- 1
Louisville 0- 1

So, of the 13 ACC teams that have played in more than 1 ACC tourney, only Clemson has been worse than WF in the ACC tourney over the last 17 years. Duke's 37-7 ACC tourney record is ridiculous, and amazing how bad UVA's tourney record is (8-16) considering they won the event in 2014. Before the last two years, UVA was 4-15 over the previous 15 years. So, teams can turn around their fortunes quickly.

Last edited:
Clemson made a final in there too, right? KC Rivers senior year?

Clemson made a final in there too, right? KC Rivers senior year?

Clemson made the ACC final in 2008, KC Rivers junior year. In the final they lost to UNC by 5. Clemson was then upset by a weak Villanova team in the opening round of the NCAAs.

Fun tourney facts from Ken Pom:

WF has a:

- 35% chance of beating State (I think it's a little better than that)
- 5% chance of beating State and Duke
- 1.2% chance of beating State, ND and Duke
- 0.2% (that's 2 out of a 1000) of getting to the ACC Final
- 0.02% (that's 2 out of 10,000) of winning the ACC tourney. (KP has UVA as the favorite with a 39.6% chance of winning the tournament).

So, there's a chance!

ACC Tourney Records since 1999:
Duke 37- 7
Notre Dame 3- 1
North Carolina 23-15
North Carolina St. 21-17
Miami FL 12-10
Pittsburgh 2- 2
Florida St. 14-16
Boston College 8-10
Virginia Tech 7-11
Georgia Tech 10-17
Virginia 8-16
Wake Forest 7-17
Clemson 6-17
Syracuse 0- 1
Louisville 0- 1

So, of the 13 ACC teams that have played in more than 1 ACC tourney, only Clemson has been worse than WF in the ACC tourney over the last 17 years. Duke's 37-7 ACC tourney record is ridiculous, and amazing how bad UVA's tourney record is (8-16) considering they won the event in 2014. Before the last two years, UVA was 4-15 over the previous 15 years. So, teams can turn around their fortunes quickly.

7 wins my ass. [Redacted] doesn't get to have an ACC tournament win for being one of the two tallest dwarves.

Prediction wake wins by 15, Rondale goes for double figures and is the Holly Farms player of the game.

This team is destined to win today and regain their spot as kenpom's luckiest team in America. I'm predicting a deep tourney run. Hold onto your hats Deacon fans, it's about to get crazy!

Back