• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Explosions at the Brussels Airport

she did great everywhere, you name it, she did great, there are no more foreign policy problems left anywhere

if we elect her president, she'll do just as well with domestic policy, you can count on it

I'm trying to remember the last SoS who left after cleaning up all of the world's foreign policy problems.

It's funny, but I don't think people appreciate the significance of the Secretary of State and how critical a job it is, particularly in today's world. Shit man, listen to the Serial podcast about Bergdahl. The last episode talked a bit about Clinton's involvement and role navigating the complexities and different groups involved in that situation and you definitely go away thinking, dang, that is pretty good training for a President of the United fucking States. Doubt someone could handle that job who is preoccupied with having tiny, dwarven hands.

The last SoS who became President was the worst of his era and arguably of all of them,
Decent track record before that

also, why do Euro police departments always wear ski masks in these post-terrorism operations

I don't recall US domestic law enforcement agencies doing that or am I wrong

To prevent themselves and their families from becoming targets of terrorists. For the same reason the anti-cartel police do it in Mexico.

I don't recall seeing it much/any in the US, but readily admit the situation in Paris/Brussels is quite a bit different than the situation in any major US cities right now.

The last SoS who became President was the worst of his era and arguably of all of them,

Nice post, Ken Jennings. For others wondering, I consulted the google machine to discover the last one was James Buchanan in 1857.

Odd that we haven't had 1 in 150+ years, but yeah, Monroe had a strong 8 years, and Jefferson, Madison and JQA had issues but are all regarded as at least being okay. Is the reason we haven't had 1 in so long because it's such a grueling job and you certainly couldn't do that job and campaign for the presidency?

she did great everywhere, you name it, she did great, there are no more foreign policy problems left anywhere

if we elect her president, she'll do just as well with domestic policy, you can count on it

I don't think SHD said that "Hillary being great at her job gave her experience," he said "It's funny, but I don't think people appreciate the significance of the Secretary of State and how critical a job it is, particularly in today's world. Shit man, listen to the Serial podcast about Bergdahl. The last episode talked a bit about Clinton's involvement and role navigating the complexities and different groups involved in that situation and you definitely go away thinking, dang, that is pretty good training for a President of the United fucking States."

If you believe someone was woefully incompetent at the position and is therefore unqualified to be President then that's one argument and that's what you should say, but that's not what SHD argued. He argued that the experience itself is very practical for preparing someone to be President.

please everyone do not say anything on here that ISIS or a disaffected youth will use to radicalize.

Nice post, Ken Jennings. For others wondering, I consulted the google machine to discover the last one was James Buchanan in 1857.

They didn't call him James "The Canon" Buchanan because he sat around his safe space griping about other people's privileges.

so americans are braver than continentals, then

The pictures I'm seeing with covered faces appear to be military rather than regular LEO, possibly even special ops/anti-terrorism teams. You see the same thing from American special forces teams who will often blur their faces, etc before posting pictures publicly. The reason we see it more in Europe than the US may be because the European reaction to events like this is more military based whereas in the US, the response is handled almost solely by LEO SWAT teams. You're not going to see a Delta or Seal team member walking the streets of the US in camo after an attack. The folks walking the streets in Brussels may be the same guys deployed to the Middle East or sent undercover to infiltrate cells...i.e. they engage in offensive, rather than purely defensive operations, making them more of a target.

I have a handful of mil friends on FB who use alternate names and don't post any pictures with their face showing due to work they've done abroad.

Last edited:
They just said on CNN that Dikembe Mutombo was at the Brussels airport this morning, but was unharmed. That's pretty random.

The pictures I'm seeing with covered faces appear to be military rather than regular LEO, possibly even special ops/anti-terrorism teams. You see the same thing from American special forces teams who will often blur their faces, etc before posting pictures publicly. The reason we see it more in Europe than the US may be because the European reaction to events like this is more military based whereas in the US, the response is handled almost solely by LEO SWAT teams. You're not going to see a Delta or Seal team member walking the streets of the US in camo after an attack. The folks walking the streets in Brussels may be the same guys deployed to the Middle East or sent undercover to infiltrate cells...i.e. they engage in offensive, rather than purely defensive operations, making them more of a target.

I have a handful of mil friends on FB who use alternate names and don't post any pictures with their face showing due to work they've done abroad.

do EURO military guys usually put "police" on their jackets/vests? honest question b/c in the US they do not as they're not allowed to operate in a law-enforcement capacity except for National Guard

do EURO military guys usually put "police" on their jackets/vests? honest question b/c in the US they do not as they're not allowed to operate in a law-enforcement capacity except for National Guard

As I'm combing through Google photos, the majority of folks I'm seeing with covered faces are wearing the Belgian military camo pattern and berets. I see a lot less of the LEO in blue doing the same, though I'm sure some of them are also involved in anti-terrorism operations in their own city and want to protect their identity as well. The LEO who do have their faces covered are often armored up as well, suggesting they are more than just a beat cop.

Of0kvndl.jpg

so i guess that means "beg the US to invest in and/or invade Europe"

*rimshot*

Back