• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Explosions at the Brussels Airport

BBC noting that there are reports now of explosion/s in the Brussels metro. Looks like coordinated terrorist strikes. Exactly what so many feared after the arrest of the Paris terrorist attack coordinator.

NPR had an Irish Times reporter reporting that the metro attack was near EU Headquarters.

Up to 28 dead now. Sounds like they don't have good numbers from the airport, either.

Belgian Federal Prosecutor just called it a "blind attack" in press conference. CNN talking heads speculating that he was talking about lack of intel.

Full quote: "What we feared has happened; we were hit by blind attacks."

Edit: could have been Prime Minister, not Federal Prosecutor.

When that Paris attacker was arrested in Molenbeek, which is a primarily Muslim suburb of Brussels, a large crowd gathered and started throwing bottles at the cops.

Remember what Trump said a few weeks ago?

aT08eGp.jpg

"You go to Brussels — I was in Brussels a long time ago, 20 years ago, so beautiful, everything is so beautiful — it’s like living in a hellhole right now,” Mr. Trump continued.

Last edited:
The terror suspect's lawyer strangely enough announced to the press yesterday that his client was cooperating with the authorities. Could that have been a message from the arrested terrorist to go ahead and launch the attacks, or were the attacks going to be launched anyway if he was arrested or killed? Probably the latter, but who knows? At the time, I thought it was really odd for the lawyer to say that because guys who plan to blow themselves up, or planning terror attacks, are not known for being cooperative with the authorities, and especially not immediately after they are arrested. The terrorist suspect is also reported to have said that he was relieved that it was over. Again this is also kind of strange.

Or could the terrorists have just gone ahead with attacking their prearranged targets for fear that they might be compromised, either by the arrested terrorist coordinator, or by information in his possession that was now available to the police?

Actually, Brussels has never really been a particularly great place, especially compared to a lot of other European cities. I was once stuck there for a week. I have little interest in going back.

Are you trying to stump the Trump?

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
Do you all remember how beautiful and safe a place Brussels wss. Not anymore, it is from a different world! U.S. must be vigilant and smart!

Funny, I remember it as being big, dirty, largely lacking in charm, and with relatively few good sights to see.

I met Glinder Torain there. We were both waiting in line to make overseas calls from a phone booth in a hotel. I wonder how many posters remember Glinder Torain and what he became famous for? I bet RJ would know. Hint: it has to do with an NCAA final.

Back