• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Volleyball Coach Abusive?

LOLOLOL

Nothing will change. Ron Wellman and Nate Hatch are beyond reproach and totally impervious to criticism or suggestions to do things a different way. You have to "dig deep" to understand why there is no story here. Nothing to see, move along.

Hatch refusing to meet with people about the matter is the 2nd worst part about the entire story.

Acting like this tool apparently does as a coach is the worst.

Wouldn't this fall under Wake's nepotism restriction? Thinking Odom and his son.

I doubt it since they don't work together on the same team, or one is the subordinate of the other. The one I always thought was kind of weird was Vidovich employing his nephew (by marriage, though) for years, which I thought might have been prohibited, but I guess was cool.

We were decent in volleyball when I was in school in the late 90s - early aughts, not great or anything, but seemed competitive. And we had one of the all time great athletes at Wake, Trina Maso de Moya. She was fucking awesome. The coach at the time got poached by Georgia though, and I don't think the team ever was as competitive after that.

I don't think I have any connection to this Wake Forest University. This is an appalling story, but the thing I hate the most is that Hatch wouldn't even meet with the people! What have we become?

I doubt it since they don't work together on the same team, or one is the subordinate of the other. The one I always thought was kind of weird was Vidovich employing his nephew (by marriage, though) for years, which I thought might have been prohibited, but I guess was cool.

We were decent in volleyball when I was in school in the late 90s - early aughts, not great or anything, but seemed competitive. And we had one of the all time great athletes at Wake, Trina Maso de Moya. She was fucking awesome. The coach at the time got poached by Georgia though, and I don't think the team ever was as competitive after that.

Grobe and Lobo comes to mind, although I can't remember the relationship off the top of my head. Didn't their kids get married or something?

If I recall it was something like Grobe's son married Lobo's wife's sister, so it wasn't really all that bad.

Hatch refusing to meet with people about the matter is the 2nd worst part about the entire story.

Acting like this tool apparently does as a coach is the worst.

I humbly submit this quote as the third: “The anger isn’t so much emotion as it is a plan to get the team to a different level of success.”

If Wake has to be ripped apart by the media, get a title IX lawsuit, and get beaten down just to remove Wellman then lets go all in with this. Time for another billboard, I say volleyball shorts pulled down and a red spanked ass, with Wellman and this shit head coach both with paddles.

I'm so done with Wake athletics. What a joke of a program. No way in hell Wellman or Hatch would still have a job at any other school. I'm done giving money to this joke of a program until we have a leader who wants to build winning programs.

The ladies have done their due diligence. Time for the hidden camera at practice post to youtube. Video of Bobby Knight choking a player on video is what lead to his downfall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This came out a couple of weeks ago:
http://thetab.com/us/wakeforest/2016/04/04/leaving-volleyball-team-best-decision-life-110

[h=1]Leaving the volleyball team was the best decision of my life[/h] My fear and unease of the head coach only increased when, during another practice, a teammate of mine missed a “tip.” A tip is a ball that falls close to the net. When the tip hit the ground, he reached a point of no return with his anger and began to yell and scream at the team, demanding us to run for over an hour because of this miss.

This running wasn’t typical sprints – it involved diving onto the ground for what felt like a thousand times.

Some of my teammates – and these are tough athletes – were sobbing. Fearful of calling attention to myself, I sucked in tears and continued with the punishment.

I kept thinking, “When is he going to let us stop? Our first ACC match is only a few days away. Why is he beating us up like this?”

Halfway through the punishment, he shouted at us to cheer after each rep. We cheered. He then deemed that our cheering wasn’t loud enough. So we cheered our lungs out, hoping he would end the punishment. The next rep he yelled at us for cheering and demanded that we took our consequence seriously. So we stopped cheering. Then he yelled at us to cheer, or the punishment wouldn’t stop. So we cheered.

So having to buy out this guy's contact > a few hundred thousand (at most) in cash and the potential damage done to the athletic department/universities reputation? Wellman logic.

Oh yeah not to mention firing him would be the right thing to do as a human being.

Editorial in the OG&B on the topic as well:
http://wfuogb.com/2016/04/administration-must-uphold-campus-values/

From the comments section:
Wake Alumni3 days ago Continued employment at WFU is a bigger mystery than Stonehenge.
A list of Ken Murczek’s coaching practices over the past 6 years. (UNT and WFU)
1. Players referred to as f_____ stupid, f_____ dumb, f_____ retarded.
2. Verbal tirades until some players are literally broken.
3. Put downs. Nothing is ever "good enough." Scholarships threatened.
4. Bad plays are the players fault. Good plays are because of coaching.
5. When players individually approached him with concerns there is long term retribution.
6. Forcing players to cheer during punishment drills then yell at the players for cheering.
7. Writing punishments were also given to individual players after answering obscure questions wrong. Player(s) were required to write the correct answer 50 times.
8. Throwing things at players
9. Players were coerced into hugging the coaching staff before and after practices as well as times players saw him on or off campus. Frontal hugs were preferred over side hugs. He tells players they must approach him and “greet” him if they see him "even if it makes their boyfriends jealous. Note:
All of the hugging ceased during and after the Title IX investigation.
10. Players think it is in their own best interest to act fake around recruits as to how things are really like.
11. Controlling food intake to the point players asked parents to “sneak in” food on road trips.
12. Pits players against players
13. The majority of past and present players have zero belief in athletic administration and school administration in the removal of Ken and thus are afraid to publicly go on the record.
14 When HBO was investigating, players were cautioned against speaking to the media by Ron Wellman. Players were provided a 12 year old newspaper article about women athletes being physically attacked and or even raped by those pretending to be media. So in other words best not to talk to media. This is the article provided to the team in 2014. http://www.sfgate.com/sports/a...
15. School admin is keenly and clearly aware of all of the above.

Players were provided a 12 year old newspaper article about women athletes being physically attacked and or even raped by those pretending to be media.
Wellman did what?

What a shit show. It's not like we are keeping him because he wins. He's a dick and a shitty coach. No brainer to can this dude

Back