• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Conference Realignment

The odds are if it is being publicly reported that they are talking about it that it's going to happen

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I for one would enjoy the ensuing shitshow if they just eliminated conferences altogether (for football only).

If ND agreed to join, I'd reach out to Maryland and see if they'd beg to come back. If not, I would just see if three five team divisions would work (I need to work out the math). No need to force a 16th team into the mix especially one that would add nothing to basketball (like Navy).

When it comes to picking a 16th member, some ACC schools are going to remember that UConn sued the ACC over issues relating to the previous expansion. Not sure if all the ACC schools are over that just yet.

How would this impact the ND @ Wake Forest game already scheduled for 2037? Do I have to change my travel plans?

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051117aaa.html

Or will they just join in 2038?

One of three things could happen. That game could simply become a conference game, probably at a different time in the season than originally planned. Or it could get cancelled. Or it could get played as an out of conference game like Wake and UNCheat are doing.

Add another all time great hoops coach to the mix.

I've heard that Swofford wants Texas as 16th team - waiting for Big 12 to collapse.

I don't see a good fit there - just reporting what I heard. It would be very interesting seeing the egos of UNC, ND and Texas try to coexist in one conference.

If ND agreed to join, I'd reach out to Maryland and see if they'd beg to come back. If not, I would just see if three five team divisions would work (I need to work out the math). No need to force a 16th team into the mix especially one that would add nothing to basketball (like Navy).

BUT by bringing in Navy, you get A) a service academy and we all know how the ACC likes to tout academics, B) one of the old ND rivals that ND isn't going to give up (so that would become an annual conference game, C) the DC/Baltimore TV market which UMd was supposed to deliver and D) the ability to divide into 4 pods *- Atlantic Division being North Pod (ND, Navy, 'Cuse, BC), Mid-Atlantic Pod (VT, UVa, Pitt, 'Ville), and the Coastal Division being: Carolina Pod (UNC, State, WF, Duke), South Pod (Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT).

*Each team would play the other 3 teams in their pod, plus 2 of the other 4 teams in the other pods. Longest you would go without playing a team is 2 years so no more of this 8 years without playing teams in our own conference. This would also guarantee that, for recruiting and exposure, each team would always be in one of the pod areas. This would also requiring going to 9 conference games vs 8 though. I'm good with giving up a "powerhouse" team in basketball when it gives other areas. How many basketball schools does the ACC need?

I'd take WVU before UConn.

I agree, although I think it's very close. WVU means choosing better football over a better market. At least in my humble opinion, the academics are equal. I'd go with the better football school, as it is one I would actually want to travel to occasionally for a game.

I'd love a Carolina Pod. But I'm not sure it will happen and I think we can do better than Navy.

Or Morganton for that matter.

What about Morganna?

gI_75936_reel-morganna-300.jpg

I'd give it a try I guess. Especially if I had access to a flux capacitor.

Still think they should breakup the FSU-Clemson-L'ville block in the Atlantic. Just too much uber-redneck power in one division.

They had the chance to switch Loui for UVa. Shoulda done so

If ND joined as a full member, the divisions could be shaped mostly along the long time members and the expansion teams:

OLD GUARD

CLEMSON
UNC
STATE
DUKE
WAKE
UVA

NEWBIES

ND
L'Ville
Pitt
BC
Miami
VT
Cuse

Then, the decision would then be which division to put FSU/GT in for balance. Would guess that FSU would go into the Old Guard division and GT in the Newbie for balance.

BTW, hilarious to me that Pitt will now have been in the ACC for 5 years and WF has never played them in football.

While this is something I have mentioned over the years, you would be essentially creating an ACC division and a Big East division. Hate that realignment kills rivalries while not creating any new ones so restoring old rivalries makes some sense. But you can't get the TV market so coveted... the NE will have bigger interest in the Big East match ups but little to none of traditional ACC schools and vice versa (apply Bohiem's whine about there being nothing to gain playing in Greensboro to football viewership) . Gets worse if UConn is #16 imo

Interesting idea re: MD. They could avoid paying the $50M ish departure fee.

Back