• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Conference Realignment

A friend, ND grad pretty much in the know, told me ND 'pledged' to play Navy every year in football starting back in WWII. ND was in real bad financial shape and Navy came in and rented lots of space from them to train personnel for WWII. ND got back on its feet $$ with that income and playing Navy every year is the appreciation return policy. Guess that could change in a new conference situation.

ND might push for Navy to join so that could have a little more variety in their non-conference schedule. They recently gave up their rivalry with Michigan. They aren't giving up either USC or Stanford. I'm sure they'd like to keep Navy every year but if you have a 9 game conference schedule and 3 OOC rivalries, you don't have any chance to play anyone else. If they can't bring Navy in as the 16th, they probably have to give up that rivalry too so that they can play home and homes with other OOC teams.

A friend, ND grad pretty much in the know, told me ND 'pledged' to play Navy every year in football starting back in WWII. ND was in real bad financial shape and Navy came in and rented lots of space from them to train personnel for WWII. ND got back on its feet $$ with that income and playing Navy every year is the appreciation return policy. Guess that could change in a new conference situation.

That might be why ND has held out, and Navy as 16 in the ACC would be the sweetener that ND needs to become a full member of the ACC. That Navy FB game "obligation" would be easier to deal with as a conference game. It would also allow ND to continue the west coast rivalries a little more easily.

Are people suggesting Navy as a football only member? They would never be anywhere near competitive in Bball and most of the Olympic sports.

Notre Dame is much more like Wake and Duke. Relatively small (8500 undergraduates) religiously affiliated, top 15 in USN&WR rankings, big time athletics. Fits ACC better than any other conference.

Navy is also small (4500), in a different category as a US government military academy, again highly ranked by USN&WR and plays D1 athletics.

If the ACC is going for 16, add both of those and call it done.

Are people suggesting Navy as a football only member? They would never be anywhere near competitive in Bball and most of the Olympic sports.

Actually Navy would be pretty competitive in the Olympic sports. Its in the "pre-professional" sports where Navy has trouble. Those with professional ambitions have to think twice about how the service obligation will impact their potential pro career.

Actually Navy would be pretty competitive in the Olympic sports. Its in the "pre-professional" sports where Navy has trouble. Those with professional ambitions have to think twice about how the service obligation will impact their potential pro career.

Right. I know they are good in things like lacrosse. The main ones that popped into mind were baseball, basketball, and soccer. A guy who didn't ever start on our high school team was a 4 year starter in baseball for them.

Navy would be great for travelling to away games. Would we then go to 9 conf. games?

The Big 12 is waiting to implode. I won't take much to send them scattering and begging.

ND current rivalries: USC (started 1926 46-36-5), Navy (started 1927 76-12-1), Stanford (current rivalry started 1988 19-11)
Previous Rivalries: Michigan State, Purdue. BC, Michigan, Army, Pitt, Air Force, FSU, GT, Miami, Nebraska, UNC, Northwestern, Penn State.

IF ND is going to join a conference, the importance of the current rivalries (USC, Stanford, & Navy) are going to be a factor. A conference with 9 of 12 conference games would give NO room for adding another P5 opponent. Since USC and Stanford would not be candidates for the ACC, that leaves Navy. ND would not give up the Navy game anymore than Clemson would give up USC, FSU would give up UF, GT would give up UGA. With Navy being In Conference, that gives ND the two PAC12 teams + 1 free space to schedule an opponent.

Navy's rivalry game against Army drew a 5.6 rating last year http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/army-navy-draws-highest-rating-in-22-years.html.
For comparison - FSU Clemson drew a 3.2 rating.http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/#2016wk4

ok, the Army-Navy game gets good ratings. other than say, the Navy-ND game, what are their other ratings like vs. FSU's and GT's for an entire season?

Navy is not joining the ACC. The conference would play with 15 forever before adding Navy.

Diehard, thanks for digging up that info. From what you and raldeac wrote, Navy is probably a much bigger piece of the puzzle than the average "rivalry." If ND truly does feel as indebted to Navy as indicated by Ral, then having Navy in whatever football conference they join is a much bigger deal than your average rivalry.

ND may be asking for the Navy inclusion as a package deal or else they will either stay as they are or look elsewhere (B1G) for a package deal. ND is affiliated with the B1G for ice hockey, a sport few ACC teams play.

Us at Charlotte are very happy with our current situation but I'm sure Judy Rose would listen to your offer. We would probably join the ACC, but the only problem I see is some of the northern schools not wanting another team in North Carolina. One of the other teams in NC might have to go for us to join, but the conference would be stronger because of it in the long run.

Us at Charlotte are very happy with our current situation but I'm sure Judy Rose would listen to your offer. We would probably join the ACC, but the only problem I see is some of the northern schools not wanting another team in North Carolina. One of the other teams in NC might have to go for us to join, but the conference would be stronger because of it in the long run.

The better course is to wait for the SEC offer.

There is no doubt that the SEC is planning its entry into North Carolina as we speak. We are a natural rival with USC but we would want to bring another North Carolina school with us who would be a good fit like App State or Davidson.

I hope we aren't letting ND dictate our 16th team. Conference slots are valuable, and we should not add Navy if they can't stand on their own merits. The opportunity cost with a wavering B12 is huge. Sixteen is probably the last team added.

If ND bailed on the ACC, would we really be considering Navy? If no, then we should not add them now.

The ACC shouldn't kiss up to ND.

Back