• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Conference Realignment

There is no doubt that the SEC is planning its entry into North Carolina as we speak. We are a natural rival with USC but we would want to bring another North Carolina school with us who would be a good fit like App State or Davidson.

I know this is a troll, but I thought ECU was a natural fit for SEC - at least in potential. Huge land grant school in the middle of nowhere with rabid football fan base, middling academics. ECU in the SEC could keep 4* and 5* talent in the state eventually when they adopt SEC level cheating.
ECU >>>> UNCC

ok, the Army-Navy game gets good ratings. other than say, the Navy-ND game, what are their other ratings like vs. FSU's and GT's for an entire season?

Navy Temple - 1.4 Rating (2.05 mil viewers) * for reference that is the same day as ACCCG - 3.3 Rating (5.338 mil viewers)
Wake Temple Military Bowl - NR (2.1 mil viewers)
Navy La Tech Armed Forces Bowl - NR (2.341 mil viewers)
Navy SMU - NR (121k viewers)
ND Navy - 1.6 Rating (2.42 mil viewers) ** same day as 'Ville BC .4 Rating (653k viewers)
Navy USF - NR (556k viewers)

WF Clemson - 1.2 Rating (2.076 mil viewers)
WF 'Ville - .6 Rating (986k viewers)
WF FSU - .6 Rating (961k viewers)
WF Duke - NR (397k viewers)

Diehard, thanks for digging up that info. From what you and raldeac wrote, Navy is probably a much bigger piece of the puzzle than the average "rivalry." If ND truly does feel as indebted to Navy as indicated by Ral, then having Navy in whatever football conference they join is a much bigger deal than your average rivalry.

ND may be asking for the Navy inclusion as a package deal or else they will either stay as they are or look elsewhere (B1G) for a package deal. ND is affiliated with the B1G for ice hockey, a sport few ACC teams play.

Keep in mind that with ND's 2013 entrance into the ACC, they are also contractually obligated to join the ACC in football IF they join any conference. That was part of the deal with the 5 games for them to join.

I know this is a troll, but I thought ECU was a natural fit for SEC - at least in potential. Huge land grant school in the middle of nowhere with rabid football fan base, middling academics. ECU in the SEC could keep 4* and 5* talent in the state eventually when they adopt SEC level cheating.
ECU >>>> UNCC

EZU is a redneck school filled with rednecks and their fans. We are far above them and recently had a player drafted in in the NFL draft. EZU had a dude drafted too and he was before us but htey play chuck and duck crazy fun bunch football instead of real football with defeinse.

Charlotte had a guy drafted before the University of Georgia in the draft and Georgia is fertile recruiting ground for us as kids try to get out of Atlanta at a younger age now due to the crime and racism there.

EZU is a redneck school filled with rednecks and their fans.

Like I said, a natural fit for SEC.

Congratulations on UNC-C (or is it Queens College of Last Resort?) getting someone drafted. I didn't realize they picked water boys in the draft.

Like I said, a natural fit for SEC.

Congratulations on UNC-C (or is it Queens College of Last Resort?) getting someone drafted. I didn't realize they picked water boys in the draft.

And in the third round smart guy. When's the last time your school had a player go in the first three rounds and how did it turnout?

And in the third round smart guy. When's the last time your school had a player go in the first three rounds and how did it turnout?

Kevin Johnson. In the first round. Pick 16. Two years ago. He starts for a playoff team. Just leave man

Will be interesting here soon if & when the Big XII starts getting picked off. I would think if the ND deal is actually real for the ACC, we would go after somebody like Texas to give us that huge footprint into the state of Texas--helps them get out of a folding conference and helps us with market & TV rights. Then we would be at 16. Overtures have already been made from what I read a month or so ago about the Pac 12 having talks with Oklahoma & Ok St. That would give them 14. They would obviously need 2 more for their 12. Could it finally be BYU and then maybe either a TCU or Texas Tech? I think the Big Ten picks off Kansas for their basketball [just like everybody would want Duke for the same reason] and takes K State with them. That gives them their super 16 one day. Massive TV contracts have just made Commish Delaney his $20 million bonus so he wants to keep it going, right? Swofford wants to get in his pay league I would imagine as would Greg Sankey. This will never end.

Navy's rivalry game against Army drew a 5.6 rating last year [url said:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/army-navy-draws-highest-rating-in-22-years.html[/url].
For comparison - FSU Clemson drew a 3.2 rating.http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/#2016wk4

I wonder how many fans were like me and watched the Army/Navy game solely because it was Verne Lundquist's last college football broadcast.

I wonder how many fans were like me and watched the Army/Navy game solely because it was Verne Lundquist's last college football broadcast.

I watch Army-Navy every year just because. It is very interesting just for the rivalry, the emotions, the pomp & circumstance and the pureness of academic teams playing a football game at a very good level.

After reading that, the only logical corollary is: ND to become full member of ACC football starting in 2022.

I watch Army-Navy every year just because. It is very interesting just for the rivalry, the emotions, the pomp & circumstance and the pureness of academic teams playing a football game at a very good level.

It's the only game on. Of course it gets good ratings.

Although I admit I haven't watched it in years because I'm always doing something else because it's the first weekend without college football since August.

I bet bkf watches the army navy game too! amirite?!?!?!?!

It's the only game on. Of course it gets good ratings.

Although I admit I haven't watched it in years because I'm always doing something else because it's the first weekend without college football since August.

You don't watch because you are not a patriot, amirite?

UConn returning to the Big East in all sports but football. UConn football is in limbo. Looks like they either become an independent or drop down to FCS.

UCONN football is already playing at a low FCS level.

UCONN is one of the few schools that play FBS football, but basketball drives the decision-making train. The Big East presents far better/traditional basketball matchups than the AAC. This puts the Big East at 11 members which is awkward (no one wants open dates on a weekend); wonder who the Big East will try to poach for a 12th member? St. Joe's? Dayton? URI?

Back