• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Windows 7 question

FreeStateDeac

Reaction score
I am still running Windows 7 and not quite ready to upgrade to Windows 10, but I am getting an increasing occurrence of a glitch that is more than annoying.

The problem is in the "Sleep" mode. When I hit a key or swipe the mouse to wake it up, I just get a black screen with a notice that says "No Signal from your Computer." I have to turn it off at the power button and restart from scratch, except I have to do that twice. The first restart I get the blue screen that says "Resuming Windows" then goes to black again with the "No Signal" sign. So I have to restart again at the power button to get a full reboot.

This is obviously a Windows 7 problem. Does anyone know any quick fixes?

thanks.

It could also just be your monitor, looking for a signal it moves to a different input source, and then when you wake it's not notified the same as when it's hard booted. Manually iterate through input sources next time you're in that state and see if it works.

Is it the laptop screen or is it connected to an external monitor? If external, what type of connection? vga, hdmi or display port?

It's an external monitor. I manually went through the source menu and clicked on "VGA" and so far that seems to be working. Thanks.

I am also having another funky problem with Windows 7. When I go to the start button, with the menu: log off, sleep, restart, shut down, it does not respond to the "shut down and install updates" when I click on that. It also automatically logs on to my wife's account without prompting after I have put it in sleep mode. Weird.

Last edited:
Never had any serious problems with Windows 7. Upgraded to 10 and had an issue with a program that I use commonly so I reverted back to 7.

I upgraded my Windows 7 OS to Windows 10, and now my wireless adapter on my laptop doesn't work. Driver update didn't help. When I look at connectivity choices, WiFi just isn't there. Any suggestions?

Go to the laptop manufacturer driver page and search would be my first guess.

I upgraded my Windows 7 OS to Windows 10, and now my wireless adapter on my laptop doesn't work. Driver update didn't help. When I look at connectivity choices, WiFi just isn't there. Any suggestions?

My husband had this exact same issue. The update killed his wireless card. The manufacturer will not repair immediately because they are trying to get Windows to cover (sounds like it is a lot of computers). He's currently installing a wifi adapter that plugs into the USB port.

I was stuck with the computer hardwired to the router (it worked that way, just not very convenient to be stuck 10 feet from the router.

Things keep getting weirder. The above plea for help was punched out on my phone. Now tonight when I fired up the laptop, after having turned my wireless off yesterday, when I turned it on this evening, everything is now working! My laptop connected wirelessly to my router and thence to the internet. I had tried that before too, but didn't seem to have any effect.

I'm at a loss to know what happened. Maybe an updated driver downloaded the other day. I know I tried multiple times to download a new driver for my wireless adapter. My attempts seemed to have been for naught, that is, I never saw obvious signs that a new driver was downloaded and installed, but maybe things were happening that I couldn't see.

Maybe it was the whole sequence of getting a new driver, turning the wireless off, shutting the computer down (power off, not just hibernate or sleep) and then restarting the computer and then turning the wireless back on?????? I dunno what worked, just glad things are working and I don't have to make a trip to the computer fix-it shop.

My husband had this exact same issue. The update killed his wireless card. The manufacturer will not repair immediately because they are trying to get Windows to cover (sounds like it is a lot of computers). He's currently installing a wifi adapter that plugs into the USB port.

Your husband might want to see if there are updated drivers for his wireless card. My wireless adapter was listed as "working" when I looked in my settings/ device manager listing, even when it wasn't doing its job.

Your husband might want to see if there are updated drivers for his wireless card. My wireless adapter was listed as "working" when I looked in my settings/ device manager listing, even when it wasn't doing its job.

Done that, shut it down, etc. thankfully it is his work computer. Their it department gave him the wireless adapter until Lenovo is ready to repair all of their work laptops.

My (installed) wireless adapter refuses to work for more than a minute or two. It is frustrating that it does work for that small amount of time, then quits. No simple diagnostic. It doesn't want to allow the drivers to be uninstalled, so can't get a fresh driver because it claims the driver is the most up to date one available.

Ended up with the work around: USB wireless adapter plugged in, and the built in disabled. Pain in the ..... But at least I have wireless capability again. Now I need to train it on all the networks I use.

Back