• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

My dark horse tournament team, Turkey, is about to kick off.

I also like this Croatia team. And the Czechs. Group D is so deep.

who here is shocked that it was english and russian fans that caused problems

I wouldn't even call them Russian "fans" - Putin's government has been using organized groups of nationalist thugs for his dirty work for years (see: Crimea) - almost creating some form of paramilitary. It's his pitbull that he's barely kept the leash on. Stuff like yesterday is the result of the empowerment of these groups. Russian hockey has actual fans, Russian football largely is just an excuse for nationalist gangs to get together and wave flags while fighting and intimidating anyone who is nearby. It's fucking ugly to it's core.

Modric just received the ball under pressure from two players facing his own box. And just slipped out of it effortlessly to get an attack going. He's a goddamn witch.

Akinfeev was made to be looked like a midget there. Not even that good of a freekick.

Woeful goalkeeping. Vad will be here shortly...

Just a reminder of how fucking shit Akinfeev is. He plays for Russia largely due to politics (Russia's other 2 keepers in the tournament were born in Brazil and Greece and Akinfeev is ethnically "pure" Russian and the captain of CSKA ... so he can't be benched for a foreign import). Russia could have dv7 in goal and he'd be a huge upgrade on Akinfeev. He's an absolute embarrassment to the long history of tremendous Russian goalkeepers (Yashin, Dasayev, etc).

Nativism! yayyyyyy

In Russia it's more the political heft wielded by certain groups - Putin has coopted the skinheads and football hooligans (the core of which are formed by CSKA - the Red Army Club - "supporters") as his personal muscle and a way of keeping order on the streets, etc. It's no mistake the team is managed by the CSKA manager, the players all play for CSKA (or Dynamo (KGB) or Zenit (Putin's private club basically)). It's a corrupt, violent, incestuous and vile situation. Russian football is in as dark a place as any national federation has been in a very long time. It's as much gangsterism as it is sport. There's no club in Russia that is separated from it now, but it's exaggerated at the key right wing clubs that form the core of modern Russian football.

It's a big part of why I can't cheer for this Russia team in any way. Just a disgusting situation.

Back