• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

I was basing that comment on Ph's assessment of the situation. There are worse ways to make a lot of money, but being the lame duck, public face of a shamed program like Baylor wasn't how I expected Grobe to go out.

I heard him say he gave up 4 trips he had planned with his wife to take the job, so did he do it for the money, because he desperately wanted to get back into coaching or to get away from the old ball and chain?

I heard him say he gave up 4 trips he had planned with his wife to take the job, so did he do it for the money, because he desperately wanted to get back into coaching or to get away from the old ball and chain?

Do you think Baylor was the only opportunity that he was offered since he resigned? I don't know.

Yeah. I definitely wasn't claiming it was a cash grab. I think it was the price to pay to get one of the few P5 jobs that opens up every year. He's taking a risk to get back in the game. Do an honorable job at Baylor and he can get a solid mid-major job next year.

I wish him much success personally. We all know how things ended, but Grobe was very good for our program. Opinions may vary on how much of the success should be attributed to him, but if he bares the burden of the downfall, he deserves credit for the success too. Showing that winning a conference title at Wake in the modern ACC was possible was a huge deal.

Do you think Baylor was the only opportunity that he was offered since he resigned? I don't know.

Pretty confident it was the biggest name job he was offered since he left at least. Also pretty confident one of the first things discussed was that he could've bring Lobo with him.

Yeah, I don't think this was a money grab (though making 7 figures ain't bad work if you can get) and I do think this has been the only job he's been offered. I think he interviewed but did not get the UAB job a few years back. His tenure at WFU ended with a thud (to state the obvious to those here) and he's got more age on him now. Not exactly an exciting hire for an athletic director unless you need a Gentleman Jim (Grobe) to step in and right the ship.

Grobe's rep taking a beating.

Grobe's rep taking a beating.

Holy shit! That dude is whipping the shit out of that dog with a belt. Disgusting

settle down dude. grobe may have realized his mortality and quit trying as hard to win, but we werent torturing animals.

The old man is completely senile. Should have retired and keep his mouth shut. He was beginning to say ridiculous junk towards the end of his wake tenure.

I wish him much success personally. We all know how things ended, but Grobe was very good for our program. Opinions may vary on how much of the success should be attributed to him, but if he bares the burden of the downfall, he deserves credit for the success too. Showing that winning a conference title at Wake in the modern ACC was possible was a huge deal.

I would attribute a whole lot of the success to Grobe. A lot.

I would attribute a whole lot of the success to Grobe. A lot.

This is a no-brainer. Don't know how anyone who has followed WF football for any length of time could question Grobe's impact on WF football. 2006 thru 2008 was the only 3-year winning season streak that WF has ever had in the entire history of its football program.

The guy was National COY in 2006.....at Wake Forest. That is simply unfuckingbelievable.

This is a no-brainer. Don't know how anyone who has followed WF football for any length of time could question Grobe's impact on WF football. 2006 thru 2008 was the only 3-year winning season streak that WF has ever had in the entire history of its football program.

The guy was National COY in 2006.....at Wake Forest. That is simply unfuckingbelievable.

Yes it was a totally great unreal run for three years but then he just plain quit and that also was unreal and like stealing money from Mother So Dear especially given what we have seen Dave Clawson and his staff try and do on the recruiting front in just these three short years. With just some effort and getting the right assistant coaches involved in the program instead of letting some of the laziness that prevailed on his staff continue was sheer iodiocy. It went on for two years too long.

Grobe was a great coach at WFU. But, then, he lost his way and apparently saw himself above his employer. Totally refused to fire a totally incompetent OC. Gave up on recruiting. And essentially phoned in three years while drawing an ENORMOUS salary.

Can't do that. Well. You can. Just not for long and get by with it.

No one will argue Grobe wasn't a great coach ..... until the point Grobe said "fuck it, I'm playing golf."

Grobe was a great coach at WFU. But, then, he lost his way and apparently saw himself above his employer. Totally refused to fire a totally incompetent OC. Gave up on recruiting. And essentially phoned in three years while drawing an ENORMOUS salary.

Can't do that. Well. You can. Just not for long and get by with it.

No one will argue Grobe wasn't a great coach ..... until the point Grobe said "fuck it, I'm playing golf."

Well, you will never see anyone remotely close to Grobe's equal at WF again.

Clawson is drawing an enormous salary, too....and going into his 3rd year he has yet to have a WF team that has even scored a touchdown in a conference win. I don't think that has ever happened before with a P-5 conference team.....zero touchdowns over a 2-year period in conference wins. Wake is 2-15 against conference teams so far under Clawson....and probably should be 0-17. They didn't score a single point in regulation against Virginia Tech and BC couldn't even get a play off in the last 20 seconds from the 1-yard line in a 3-0 game. That's even worse than Bzzdelik.

As one of the tags pointed out, Grobe's worst year at WF was better than Clawson's best year at WF....but maybe Clawson's 3rd year will be the charm. He certainly has a shitty-enough schedule to win some games this year.....home games against Tulane, Delaware, Army and the other three worst teams in the conference.

Well, you will never see anyone remotely close to Grobe's equal at WF again.

I may not. But, this isn't on me. This rests squarely with Jim Grobe. The ball and millions of dollars were in his court. Not mine.

Back