• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

Pilch, you just repeated what I said.

While technically true in terms in talent (but not profile), that statement isn't really valid because he alone recruited and coached the team with the greatest season in WF history (2006) and the greatest run of seasons in WF history (it's not like he won with another coach's talent). So, had he left WF in 2006 or any year until his last one (or possibly two), he would've left the program in far better shape. Coaching football, particularly at WF requires max effort, and Grobe's effort slacked at the end. Not the first coach to ever have that happen.

BTW, I had written off Baylor's 2016 season as a disaster (and still think that potential exists because they have lost a ton of depth), but many in the know are convinced that Baylor's starting talent remains national championship level. Also, their schedule is weak (as always), and while this boggles my mind, Briles son remains the Baylor OC (they also kept their DC); so Baylor is going to run the same system that led them to kick arse over the last few years. They will be heavy favorites in every game until at least late October; so, don't be surprised if Old Grobie is in the thick of the championship mix.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'll be surprised.

Baylor has 3 points on the board against SMU nearing the half.

"wsc overrates coaching" indeed

Has Baylor kicked from SMU'S 39 yet?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

is it too early to point out baylor has 33 now with 12 mins left?

7 of which came on a defensive INT. And against what has been one of the worst Ds in FBS for several years now.

But they did rack up a lot of yards. And the offensive staff is still the same so they really should produce. I'm not actually expecting their O to diminish that much, but the first half today was a little eye-opening

7 of which came on a defensive INT. And against what has been one of the worst Ds in FBS for several years now.

But they did rack up a lot of yards. And the offensive staff is still the same so they really should produce. I'm not actually expecting their O to diminish that much, but the first half today was a little eye-opening

When I watched some of Baylor's game last week, Grobe wasn't even wearing headphones. I think he doing very little coaching there, just needed a head coach with a good reputation post Briles.

Has Baylor kicked from SMU'S 39 yet?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I was actually at the Baylor game this week. In the first half Baylor did punt from SMU's 48 and seemed to be playing super conservatively. I told my buddy that was at the game with me (we were there b/c his daughter, my god-daughter, is on the dance team at Baylor) to get used to that as it was Grobe football. But they seemed to open it up immensely in the second half, including doing for it on 4th down multiple times, including in their own territory. They ended up putting up a ton of yards in the second half.

I was actually at the Baylor game this week. In the first half Baylor did punt from SMU's 48 and seemed to be playing super conservatively. I told my buddy that was at the game with me (we were there b/c his daughter, my god-daughter, is on the dance team at Baylor) to get used to that as it was Grobe football. But they seemed to open it up immensely in the second half, including doing for it on 4th down multiple times, including in their own territory. They ended up putting up a ton of yards in the second half.

Was flipping channels a little bit earlier and the Baylor-SMU replay was on. Baylor went for it 3 times on 4th during the drive I watched, no way Grobe is making those decisions.

Was flipping channels a little bit earlier and the Baylor-SMU replay was on. Baylor went for it 3 times on 4th during the drive I watched, no way Grobe is making those decisions.

I don't know about that. Got his ass kicked to the curb for stupid, boneheaded conservative play-calling and not cleaning house like he should. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he finally wisened up at the tender age of 64.

Yea, I agree - I was shocked. It was like they totally changed philosophy at halftime.

They stopped listening to the OWG and succeeded.

A lesson for us all

OOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSS

Looks like it didn't take Grobe very long to step into the quicksand of terrible at Baylor. Shawn Oakman (of alleged sexual assault fame) was in the locker room after the game on Saturday and then Grobe said "I don't know who Shawn Oakman is" at the presser. Ummm, he is the 6'8" 320 problem that led to your being their, Jimmy. Wake the F up.

http://deadspin.com/ex-baylor-player-indicted-for-sexual-assault-allowed-in-1786815755

Well I guess this is going to be it for him then. Won't event get another interim job due to general obliviousness.

How would Grobe knows what he looks like? Seems to me that would be more the responsibility of a former coach or staff member who would know him.

Back