• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe to Baylor

Jimmy was a good coach that truth be told should still be here.
5 Bowls
1 ACC championship
1 11 win year

I dont understand how a coach with that track record is run off

Definitely the best coach ever to coach Wake football. He did lose his edge over the last few years so it was probably time to go. But Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl? That was the greatest year of my life.

Grobe will have no problem filling a staff with low level assistants and FCS coaches looking for a shot at a big time program.

Definitely the best coach ever to coach Wake football. He did lose his edge over the last few years so it was probably time to go. But Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl? That was the greatest year of my life.

My best fan experience ever was that season!

He stopped recruiting and paid the price. He had a golden opportunity after the Orange Bowl and decide he liked golf better than being on the road getting quality kids to come to WFU. Biggest blown opportunity ever!

GOOD TIMES!

A decade ago now though....:eek:

I know, can't believe it's been that long. I figured if he was willing, they would've had Grobe "Open the Gate" this coming season for the 10 year anniversary of the ACC title year, but looks like he'll be pretty booked up for this coming season.

Starting in 2017, Baylor has a home and home series versus Duke. So, if Grobe stays past next season, he can seek to augment his dominance over the Devils.

In 2016, Baylor has a very soft start to the schedule:

NW State (H)
SMU (H)
Rice (A)
OK State (H)
Iowa State (A)
Kansas (A)

Even with the turmoil, Baylor will likely be favored in each game (except for possibly the home game against OK State) until the schedule turns brutal from October 29 on:

Texas (A)
TCU (H)
Oklahoma (A)
K State (H)
Texas Tech @ Jerry World
WV (A)

I know, can't believe it's been that long. I figured if he was willing, they would've had Grobe "Open the Gate" this coming season for the 10 year anniversary of the ACC title year, but looks like he'll be pretty booked up for this coming season.

Yeah, Grobe would have been a great choice. My preference would have been for the first home game, or perhaps the last. Looking at the two school's schedules, he could do the first game on Thursday evening and still be in Waco for Baylor's opener on Saturday. Don't know that he would do that.

Starting in 2017, Baylor has a home and home series versus Duke. So, if Grobe stays past next season, he can seek to augment his dominance over the Devils.

In 2016, Baylor has a very soft start to the schedule:

NW State (H)
SMU (H)
Rice (A)
OK State (H)
Iowa State (A)
Kansas (A)

Even with the turmoil, Baylor will likely be favored in each game (except for possibly the home game against OK State) until the schedule turns brutal from October 29 on:

Texas (A)
TCU (H)
Oklahoma (A)
K State (H)
Texas Tech @ Jerry World
WV (A)

Baylor will win at a minimum 7 games this year. I think 10 is the max.

Biggest question: can Grobe get his overall record back to .500 before leaving Baylor?

Biggest question: can Grobe get his overall record back to .500 before leaving Baylor?

His current record is 110-115-1. He would have to be +5 wins this season. That would mean something like 9-4 or better, including a bowl. Doable, but not highly likely.

Abbate about to be on local radio in Austin discussing Grobe hire

Looking for link

Last edited:

Where have the years gone.

I would be surprised if they fired the head coach and hired an interim, only to put it on the interim to find out which of the assistants was also part of a major coverup. I would think that would come from on high. Then again, the scandal goes to the top, so perhaps that's easier said than done.

I see this as a reasonable hire. But I confess I will be surprised to see him winning. Even though he did major damage in the ACC, my impression has been tainted by the last few years, so I am going to have to recalibrate my view back to the old appreciation of the man if the Bears are competent and put some W's on the board. Also, good assistants can take care of most game logistics, so his role may just be a figurehead. Which is probably as he would want it.

You know you've hit rock bottom when you hire Jim Grobe

Where have the years gone.

I would be surprised if they fired the head coach and hired an interim, only to put it on the interim to find out which of the assistants was also part of a major coverup. I would think that would come from on high. Then again, the scandal goes to the top, so perhaps that's easier said than done.

I see this as a reasonable hire. But I confess I will be surprised to see him winning. Even though he did major damage in the ACC, my impression has been tainted by the last few years, so I am going to have to recalibrate my view back to the old appreciation of the man if the Bears are competent and put some W's on the board. Also, good assistants can take care of most game logistics, so his role may just be a figurehead. Which is probably as he would want it.

If I'm Jim Grobe in this situation, either I spend a bunch of time and effort vetting the existing coaches if I am supposed to keep them, or I fire them all and let others sort out who is involved in the cover-up and who is not. Not sure I would even take the job as "acting" head coach if I can't clean house of the existing staff.

Well, here's another take on the hire.

That guy must be clueless to the fact that Baylor's situation is about much more than wins & losses on the football field. All of his comments in the video pertained to nothing but the football aspect of the hire. He seems to have no concern at all about all the shit that was going on down there. To him, everything is just about winning football games on the field. Evidently, he doesn't give a damn about what went on off the field. He never mentioned anything about it, anyway. Typical sports talk show jerk.

So he "doesn't get it" about the Grobe hire. He's not that bright. Also had Grobe 28-12 in the 2006 season.

Don't think either of his suggestions would want the job. Mike Singletary had lobbied for the Baylor HC position twice before, and was turned down. He would probably prefer to have the job permanently, not as an acting or interim. He doesn't have any college coaching experience, hence he has no experience with the whole recruiting business. Doubt Mack Brown would want to look like he stepped down in level from Texas.

Back