• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

Asked this on another thread: why should I be terrified of Hillary Clinton as president? What is she going to do that will make us worse off four years from now? Serious question.

Second question. Why shouldn't I be terrified of Donald Trump?

I thought I answered this on another thread. Hillary isn't terrifying. It'll essentially be a 4 year continuation of Obama with good judicial appointments. Will probably get the senate back but nowhere near in the house, so it'll be 4 more years of nothing getting passed and maybe a govt shutdown or 2. The only difference in terms of foreign policy is she may piss the Saudis and Israel off a bit less than Obama has. But I wouldn't hold out too much hope that the Middle East will calm down much with the Iran/Saudi proxy wars no matter who is president. I just hope she has the sense to keep a low profile except when engaging in foreign affairs. The less she is heard from, the more successful she might be. The other thing is she doesn't scare big business, which is good on the jobs front, so I'd expect unemployment to remain low. Whereas Drumpf and Bernie both scare big business with their threatened trade and tariff wars and immigration positions. I still think she'll probably be a 1 termer unless the Pubs rinse and repeat this election cycle again in 2020. Both parties have some dangerous rifts developing.

Asked this on another thread: why should I be terrified of Hillary Clinton as president? What is she going to do that will make us worse off four years from now? Serious question.

Because she murders people and deletes her emails.

Vox did a good article on the short VP bench. They made a great case against Castro. When he was mayor of SA, it was a part time position paying $3000 a year. The city is primarily run by city council. He's done nothing of note in Washington. If he really wants to make a national splash, he needs to go back home and take down Cruz.

Question for the Castro hermanos is timing. Better to run against Cruz in 2018, Cornyn in 2020, or Governor sometime later? They're only 41, so they still have plenty of time. TX is still a heavy lift for a Dem statewide.

2016 general election may be a false positive for Dems since GOP can't possibly run another candidate as anti-Latino as Trump in 2020. Quietly backing down on their Obamacare fatwa in this election, but Cruz was the GOP runner up by going hard negative on LGBT issues, so hard to predict when/if they'll ever get or be willing to make the policy changes needed to win swing states and the White House.

Whenever one of the Castros chooses to run for statewide office, they'll get all the monies they need to win. Probably better to run in a presidential election year just in case.

Question for the Castro hermanos is timing. Better to run against Cruz in 2018, Cornyn in 2020, or Governor sometime later? They're only 41, so they still have plenty of time. TX is still a heavy lift for a Dem statewide.

2016 general election may be a false positive for Dems since GOP can't possibly run another candidate as anti-Latino as Trump in 2020. Quietly backing down on their Obamacare fatwa in this election, but Cruz was the GOP runner up by going hard negative on LGBT issues, so hard to predict when/if they'll ever get or be willing to make the policy changes needed to win swing states and the White House.

TX could become purple by 2020 or 2024 unless the GOP really acts quickly.

John Edwards's Two Americas + loss of unions = Batshit crazy Trump (who by himself will fundamentally change the global economy (because he's crazy) and make these people wealthy and relevant (where are the bootstraps?))

Democrats have been assuring working class people that they have their best interests in mind since before either of us were born. If working class people who line up to vote for Trump still believed the Dems, Ted Cruz would be the nominee.

John Edwards's Two Americas + loss of unions = Batshit crazy Trump (who by himself will fundamentally change the global economy (because he's crazy) and make these people wealthy and relevant (where are the bootstraps?))

So much punctuation fail.

Democrats have been assuring working class people that they have their best interests in mind since before either of us were born. If working class people who line up to vote for Trump still believed the Dems, Ted Cruz would be the nominee.
If you believe that jobless and underemployed Republicans are that worried about the tax burden on their benevolent job creating masters, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If they were as rock solid as you believe, you wouldn't need to distract them with voter fraud and bathroom rapists - bread and circuses while you take away their collective bargaining power and move manufacturing out of the country.

If they were as rock solid as you believe, you wouldn't need to distract them with voter fraud and bathroom rapists - bread and circuses while you take away their collective bargaining power and move manufacturing out of the country.

It's almost hard to choose between responding to a) the absurdity of linking the absence of collective bargaining power with manufacturing moving overseas (truly, madly, deeply, what do you think moves jobs overseas? The ABSENCE of Union strength? "No, we can't stay here. The Unions are just too weak"), and b) the audacity of "you wouldn't need to distract them with" accusations coming from...a Democrat.

Are you really so fucking simple? Even professional sports leagues have unions, you dipshit, it's quite possible that the demand for labor unions extends beyond the manufacturing sector into..umm...every single other sector of employment.

Are you really so fucking simple? Even professional sports leagues have unions, you dipshit, it's quite possible that the demand for labor unions extends beyond the manufacturing sector into..umm...every single other sector of employment.

When the facts fail you, stick with f-words, baseless condescension and risible hyperbole.

Is there someone on-kilter that wants to debate this?

When the facts fail you, stick with f-words, baseless condescension and risible hyperbole.

Is there someone on-kilter that wants to debate this?
Here's some advice - the next time your terrible reading comprehension leads you to a nonsensical conclusion, try reading again instead of just attributing your stupidity to others. Only one of us in this conversation concluded that collective bargaining could prevent jobs being exported, and *hint *hint, it was you. Next time I want to list things I'll be sure to use bullet points so you don't get confused.

Here's some advice - the next time your terrible reading comprehension leads you to a nonsensical conclusion, try reading again instead of just attributing your stupidity to others. Only one of us in this conversation concluded that collective bargaining could prevent jobs being exported, and *hint *hint, it was you. Next time I want to list things I'll be sure to use bullet points so you don't get confused.

Why not use facts and reason instead? Just so in case the old act grows stale.

You were upset about reduced collective bargaining power and jobs going overseas. Reduced collective bargaining power helps keep jobs here, champ. Don't believe me? Look where cars are manufactured in this country in 2016.

The article you proudly posted claimed loss of unions and loss of jobs as two reasons people were flocking to Trump. One of these two things is directly attributable to Republicans.

The article you proudly posted claimed loss of unions and loss of jobs as two reasons people were flocking to Trump. One of these two things is directly attributable to Republicans.

I linked the article because it was interesting; not because I wrote it. That's what you do when you're open to new ideas.

The broader point is that Trump's base didn't just stumble out of a doublewide spontaneously inserting themselves into the political process because they like his hair. They do so in protest of the failures of both parties. Do you agree with that, or have you decided that his voters aren't smart enough to realize they have been failed by the major parties (or worse, do you think ---against the caution of the author of that article--that his voters are just too dumb to appreciate your brilliant and skillful representation of best interests they don't know they have)?

oh god here we go with the liberals think everyone but them is dumb canard.

but by all means, keep going jhmd. I can almost see you twitching from here in Cook County

Last edited:

I don't hear any trickling, Ronnie...

Back