• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

Ck0pFF7XIAAYcVl.jpg

In the late 40s/early 50s in NC, pump action shotguns could hold five shells, but you were legally only allowed three at a time.

Should be the standard that a lot of cities have for gun permits (e.g. NYC): you have to show that you have some individualized need beyond the general population. Under that, probably everyone but the little old lady qualifies

Why? The little old lady is likely the least able to fend of an attack. She needs a gun more than anyone else.

where were all the guys with AR15's and handguns defending the club?

Had this conversation with a friend this morning. I don't see any need for high capacity rifles they aren't going to defend you against the government and no one uses them for defense against an intruder or an attacker. They are basically entertainment for anyone that owns one. They don't provide any protective purpose and they often are used in these massive killings.

Rifles, handguns, shotguns all make sense to me for ownership especially in rural areas but I see no need for high capacity rifles. If he had a hand gun or a standard rifle he would have had to reload many times. Who knows how many lives that might have saved.

We need guns in rural areas for protection, for hunting, and for our livelihood (hog and deer damage to corn and soybeans can be massive) but there is no need for a mitigaty grade weapon in the hands of civilians. The only two uses for that are a shooting range (entertainment) and killing people. That doesn't seem to be a fair balance.

The problem in Orlando is not an either/or. It is both guns and radical Islam and both are serious problems. I have read dozens of posts over the past year about how you are more likely to be killed by a butter knife than a radical terrorist and that isn't helping the real threat we are facing. So we need to be honest about both problems. Neither side seems to want to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had this conversation with a friend this morning. I don't see any need for high capacity rifles they aren't going to defend you against the government and no one uses them for defense against an intruder or an attacker. They are basically entertainment for anyone that owns one. They don't provide any protective purpose and they often are used in these massive killings.

Rifles, handguns, shotguns all make sense to me for ownership especially in rural areas but I see no need for high capacity rifles. If he had a hand gun or a standard rifle he would have had to reload many times. Who knows how many lives that might have saved.

We need guns in rural areas for protection, for hunting, and for our livelihood (hog and deer damage to corn and soybeans can be massive) but there is no need for a mitigaty grade weapon in the hands of civilians. The only two uses for that are a shooting range (entertainment) and killing people. That doesn't seem to be a fair balance.

hear hear

i would add that one-size-fits-all gun regulation for the whole country (or a whole state) makes no sense. the recent appeals court decision on concealed carry is a step in the right direction. local communities should be able to decide how guns are regulated as they are the most impacted. For example, it may be perfectly acceptable, even desirable, for ranchers and farmers to openly carry firearms for all kinds of reasons, but those reasons are not applicable to wannabes who go openly strapped on an errand to the Gamespot store in the wealthiest, safest shopping center in Greensboro.

The problem in Orlando is not an either/or. It is both guns and radical Islam and both are serious problems. I have read dozens of posts over the past year about how you are more likely to be killed by a butter knife than a radical terrorist and that isn't helping the real threat we are facing. So we need to be honest about both problems. Neither side seems to want to do that.

The government has un-manned flying death dealers. A pop gun isn't going to defend against that regardless of how many rounds you pack into it. The government doesn't fear rednecks with AR's. A kid with a keyboard is more dangerous to the US Government than a dude with a gun.

hear hear

i would add that one-size-fits-all gun regulation for the whole country (or a whole state) makes no sense. the recent appeals court decision on concealed carry is a step in the right direction. local communities should be able to decide how guns are regulated as they are the most impacted. For example, it may be perfectly acceptable, even desirable, for ranchers and farmers to openly carry firearms for all kinds of reasons, but those reasons are not applicable to wannabes who go openly strapped on an errand to the Gamespot store in the wealthiest, safest shopping center in Greensboro.

In these days of easy travel, including across state lines, county-by-county, or state-by-state, regulations aren't going to cut it. The impact of easy access to guns in one area is not limited to just that area.

In these days of easy travel, including across state lines, county-by-county, or state-by-state, regulations aren't going to cut it. The impact of easy access to guns in one area is not limited to just that area.

Right, but if you combined that with a national prohibition on anything with over like a 10-round magazine then it would mitigate a lot of the mass-shooting effect. It wouldn't get rid of the one-off targeted shooting, but realistically I don't think much will ever curtail that.

And ban the religion of peace, of course.

This is my first post on this thread...because the entire thread is meaningless. Words don't mean anything here. Action is the only thing that matters....and nothing is going to be done. I realized that when 20 precious six year old children were slaughtered at Sandy Hook and nothing was done that nothing was ever going to get the gun lovers on the right and the PC liberals on the left to make any concessions that could result in meaningful action. The gun lovers think that any slightest concession on their part would be the first step toward total confiscation of all guns in the country. So they oppose even the slightest common sense gun control legislation. The PC liberals think that giving up any civil liberties at all in the interest of public safety would be the first step toward a fascist society. So they go crazy at the thought that maybe we should not allow people to travel to the Middle East to become radicalized and then return to this country...where they can buy automatic weapons as easy as buying a hamburger at McDonalds. They act like the police are the bad guys, while trying to make martyrs out of POS like Freddie Gray...a 25-year old man who already had been involved in 20 criminal court cases. Then both sides act surprised when something like this happens.

So, all we get are meaningless words....like everything that has been posted on this thread. Some guy says that "Hate will never win" at a television awards ceremony. What the fuck does that mean? Nothing. In the words of one famous person, "it's all just sound and fury, signifying nothing". In the end, money will continue to rule over everything else....and tragedies like this one will continue to happen, on a more & more frequent basis. There is no room for a political middle ground on important issues between the left & right in our super-polarized country today, because neither side is willing to budge an inch off of its position..

Last edited:
I would have given anyone 1000 to 1 odds that RJ would post this clip.

Like clockwork.

Another Wrangor laziness. The REASON that was posted is that someone brought up making bullets illegal....and others like it.

What's amazing is even when we're in 90+% agreement Wrangor won't accept it and wants to act like a biotch.

This is my first post on this thread...because the entire thread is meaningless. Words don't mean anything here. Action is the only thing that matters....and nothing is going to be done. I realized that when 20 precious six year old children were slaughtered at Sandy Hook and nothing was done that nothing was ever going to get the gun lovers on the right and the PC liberals on the left to make any concessions that could result in meaningful action. The gun lovers think that any slightest concession on their part would be the first step toward total confiscation of all guns in the country. So they oppose even the slightest common sense gun control legislation. The PC liberals think that giving up any civil liberties at all in the interest of public safety would be the first step toward a fascist society. So they go crazy at the thought that maybe we should not allow people to travel to the Middle East to become radicalized and then return to this country...where they can buy automatic weapons as easy as buying a hamburger at McDonalds. They act like the police are the bad guys, while trying to make martyrs out of POS like Freddie Gray...a 25-year old man who already had been involved in 20 criminal court cases. Then both sides act surprised when something like this happens. (And I know that Mateen didn't go to the Middle East to become radicalized, but there have been several cases where this has happened.)

So, all we get are meaningless words....like everything that has been posted on this thread. Some guy says that "Hate will never win" at a television awards ceremony. What the fuck does that mean? Nothing. In the words of one famous person, "it's all just sound and fury, signifying nothing". In the end, money will continue to rule over everything else....and tragedies like this one will continue to happen, on a more & more frequent basis. There is no room for a political middle ground on important issues between the left & right in our super-polarized country today, because neither side is willing to budge an inch off of its position..

Good post, Bob.

Right, but if you combined that with a national prohibition on anything with over like a 10-round magazine then it would mitigate a lot of the mass-shooting effect. It wouldn't get rid of the one-off targeted shooting, but realistically I don't think much will ever curtail that.

And ban the religion of peace, of course.

Right. There has to be some federal ceiling on the types of weapons allowed, and local regulation can take it the rest of the way. Of course, the only thing that will really make a dent in gun deaths overall (as opposed to mass shootings specifically) is a handgun ban or serious restriction on the types of handguns allowed and who is allowed to own one. Handguns kill way, way more people than AR-15s.

The religion of peace is a different problem.

This is my first post on this thread...because the entire thread is meaningless. Words don't mean anything here. Action is the only thing that matters....and nothing is going to be done. I realized that when 20 precious six year old children were slaughtered at Sandy Hook and nothing was done that nothing was ever going to get the gun lovers on the right and the PC liberals on the left to make any concessions that could result in meaningful action. The gun lovers think that any slightest concession on their part would be the first step toward total confiscation of all guns in the country. So they oppose even the slightest common sense gun control legislation. The PC liberals think that giving up any civil liberties at all in the interest of public safety would be the first step toward a fascist society. So they go crazy at the thought that maybe we should not allow people to travel to the Middle East to become radicalized and then return to this country...where they can buy automatic weapons as easy as buying a hamburger at McDonalds. They act like the police are the bad guys, while trying to make martyrs out of POS like Freddie Gray...a 25-year old man who already had been involved in 20 criminal court cases. Then both sides act surprised when something like this happens. (And I know that Mateen didn't go to the Middle East to become radicalized, but there have been several cases where this has happened.)

Good post, except that he did make trips to Saudi Arabia. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/or...-mateen-cool-calm-during-negotiations-n590906

Back