• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

This is your attempt to conversation?

I think we respond to the problems in front of us, not just the ones that make half the country comfortable. I've already stated my position on the need to return elitism to gun ownership. In terms of Islamicism, we could at least start by being willing to tell the truth. Do you think the President is capable of doing that?

ETA: Why don't Brussels and Paris (and Spain, and London, and Pakistan, and Indonesia, etc., etc., etc.) count? That the scope of the problem breaks the mold of the narrative is a clue that the narrative is in need of a tune-up, no?

Which is what, and then what do you propose is done about it?

I'm a Gay Activist, and After Orlando, I Have Switched My Vote to Trump
Yes, there is a war between religious fundamentalism and the spirit of love and tolerance. But we progressives here in America still labor under the delusion that the religion we need to combat is Christianity. But that's a strawman opponent, and has been so for decades. Since the 1990s, Christian extremists have essentially lost all their power, and are now toothless nonplayers in the "culture wars." Meanwhile, Muslim extremists, with guns, murder us, and on the left our only response is to bleat about "Islamophobia" and jump through hoops trying to explain away the self-evident religious motivation for the killings.
Yes, I know that Trump is an a**hole, Trump is a clown, Trump is a motormouth buffoon. You don't have to convince me of that. But he's also the only person saying anything about putting the brakes on Islamic extremism, and in light of what happened last night in Orlando, suddenly that is the only issue that really matters when it comes to the health, well-being and safety of the queer community.
As an aside, Trump has never said anything homophobic, and has always gotten along well with the gay community in New York, so there's that in his favor as well.

I also now realize, with brutal clarity, that in the progressive hierarchy of identity groups, Muslims are above gays. Every pundit and politician -- and that includes President Obama and Hillary Clinton and half the talking heads on TV -- who today have said "We don't know what the shooter's motivation could possibly be!" have revealed to me their true priorities: appeasing Muslims is more important than defending the lives of gay people. Every progressive who runs interference for Islamic murderers is complicit in those murders, and I can no longer be a part of that team.

I'm just sick of it. Sick of the hypocrisy. Sick of the pandering. Sick of the deception.
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/06/12/gay-activist-after-orlando-trump-voter/1/

...demonstrably capable.

Hey, what a coincidence! Weren't we just talking about meaningless words and platitudes!? I'm fairly interested in psychology and social science, so please keep me updated on your work in this field. I assume you have a mailing list?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time:

Yes, there is a war between religious fundamentalism and the spirit of love and tolerance. But we progressives here in America still labor under the delusion that the religion we need to combat is Christianity. But that's a strawman opponent, and has been so for decades. Since the 1990s, Christian extremists have essentially lost all their power, and are now toothless nonplayers in the "culture wars." Meanwhile, Muslim extremists, with guns, murder us, and on the left our only response is to bleat about "Islamophobia" and jump through hoops trying to explain away the self-evident religious motivation for the killings.

The "radical Islamist" talk is the main tool of the Christian extremists.

Why is it when the weapon of destruction in a terrorist attack is guns we talk about what we have to do to the people with the guns and not the guns themselves. Other terrorist attacks result in changes to the instruments or procedures dealing with the instruments and not general sweeping unknown calls for unspecified action against Islamics. Terrorist attack with planes results in changes to the cockpit door and hijacking policies, terrorist attempted attack with shoe bombs, shoes now off at the airports, terrorist attack with pressure cookers monitoring of pressure cooker searches and purchasing online (ridiculous), attack with guns, we have to do something about these extremist people!

i don't care about Paris or Brussels. I care about the US. Those attacks were awful but a pittance in death compared to the daily loss of lives due to guns in our country, very few of which have anything to do with Islam.

But in the interest of hearing your thoughts, I'll "respond to your point" so I can hopefully get a real answer (lulz): I think all religions are detrimental to human civilization, especially the abrahamic religions, Islam's current iterations being the most dangerous. How do we address the "Islam Problem" to reduce gun deaths in the US? Anxiously awaiting your suggestions.

You xenophobe!

Which is what, and then what do you propose is done about it?

Our leadership (or in the alternative, current management) should confirm what we all know to be true: we (Earth) have a problem with Islamic fundamentalism, and that problem can no longer be paved over with euphemisms about work-place violence and #notallMuslims knee-jerk denials. I heard what the apologists said, but I also heard Courtney Love assure all of us she was sober on the Roast of Pam Anderson. At some point, evidence wins.

If the right is willing to talk and act (yet to be proven) about curtailing the privileges for all us based on the irresponsibility of a few of us, at the very least is the left at willing to talk (the prelude to action) about what privileges are on the table until we (Earth) get a handle on the Islamic problem? Grand bargains--the best kind--require compromise.

If only B Hussein would say "Islamic terrorism", the spell shall be broken and the GOP awoken from its NRA slumber and passeth reasonable gun control measures. alas.

Why is it when the weapon of destruction in a terrorist attack is guns we talk about what we have to do to the people with the guns and not the guns themselves. Other terrorist attacks result in changes to the instruments or procedures dealing with the instruments and not general sweeping unknown calls for unspecified action against Islamics. Terrorist attack with planes results in changes to the cockpit door and hijacking policies, terrorist attempted attack with shoe bombs, shoes now off at the airports, terrorist attack with pressure cookers monitoring of pressure cooker searches and purchasing online (ridiculous), attack with guns, we have to do something about these extremist people!

Good post. Very good post.

If only B Hussein would say "Islamic terrorism", the spell shall be broken and the GOP awoken from its NRA slumber and passeth reasonable gun control measures. alas.

Right. It's just so frustrating when one side of our political debate refuses to admit and address a self-evident problem. That's just the worst, right?

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time:

The "radical Islamist" talk is the main tool of the Christian extremists.

So, radical Islam does not exist? It poses no danger? It's just a shallow partisan polemic? Explain that to the families of the victims in San Bernardino, in Orlando, in Paris, in Brussels.

Right. It's just so frustrating when one side of our political debate refuses to admit and address a self-evident problem. That's just the worst, right?

For those keeping score at home: Still hasn't answered how Islam has anything to do with gun access in the United States or how to "address Islamic extremism" and how that would reduce gun deaths appreciably.

Last edited:
Our leadership (or in the alternative, current management) should confirm what we all know to be true: we (Earth) have a problem with Islamic fundamentalism
The pc crowd is in denial about just how sexist and homophobic mainstream Islam is. They have no problem with the immigration we're seeing from these areas, where the people tend to have extremely backwards attitudes. The justification is always, "Look at fundamentalist Christians!" When I see congregations start stoning women on a massive scale, I'll start seriously worrying about the churches. I mean yeah, fundamentalist Christianity sucks, but why add even far more insane people to the population? Let those people stay in their own country. Anyone heard the interview with the shooter's father? WTF is that guy still doing in this country? He made a video where he was supporting the Taliban, said his son was a good son, and he should have left it up to Allah to punish the homosexuals. But whatever you say, don't say his son massacring 50 people had anything to do with his religion.

gsi2-chp1-8.png

gsi2-chp1-9.png

I'm all for admitting that we have an Islamic extremist problem but what is the solution? I think the left doesn't want to admit there is a problem because they don't have a solution, so it digs into their mantra of always being right. Conservatives admit we have a problem but have no solution. So the question remains what do we do? If the election is any indicator we aren't getting a solution anytime soon. As Hillary will probably call for more
Bombing and wars, and to think Trump is some tough guy he just wants to be isolationist and racist.

For those keeping score at home: Still hasn't answered how Islam has anything to do with gun access in the United States or how to "address Islamic extremism" and how that would reduce gun deaths appreciably.

I assumed that 103 innocent people getting shot for the crime of being possibly gay in front of a Muslim was a self-evident problem.

sad, indeed. what about the other 5,865 killed and 12K+ injured in 2016 so far?

Put a stop to immigration from these countries unless the people are thoroughly vetted and hold secular beliefs that are compatible with western democracy. No more wackos. Go read the WaPo interview with the shooter's father. It will leave you scratching your head how this fucking idiot was ever allowed into the country to begin with and why he hasn't been sent back.

Back