• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

I'm starting to get "safe" messages from my Orlando co-workers. It's nice to see and troubling to need.

How on Earth do you read that anti-gun?

I never mentioned guns. I don't see anyone ranting against guns.

I know. I just thought tying the attacks to religious freedom laws was a bit of a stretch. I'm all for anti-gun rants was my point, but idk. Probably was less about your post and more about the flood of scorching hot takes from all corners of the Internet.

It's a tragedy no matter what turns out to have been at the root of it.

My Facebook feed seems to have forgotten that. It was the same shit after the UCLA shooting last week. I hate the tendency among people I know to publicly grandstand after every tragedy these days. It's gross. But don't read too much into that post.

Shit's fucked up and I hope those who pray can spare a prayer or two tonight.

In addition to praying for the victims and their families, I am praying that whomever is the next POTUS will challenge the "religious freedom" laws as well the laws in dozens of states that codify bigotry against LGBT US citizens.

We can't have a country that lionizes hate and bigotry. We an't have a country that allows people to be fired or not have a home or not get a mortgage because of whom they love.

We can't have a country that allows people not to serve others because of whom they love. It's un-American.

If we can change this, events like this and the hundreds of gay bashings every year will lessen. Unless and until, we get rid of the laws that allow discrimination this will continue.

We can pray. It is not appropriate to discuss solutions in the immediate aftermath of an event. Have to wait until attention dies down and the NRA's pocketed congressmen can bury it.

I don't understand why the media seems to be emphasizing that this was a gay nightclub when I haven't seen anything suggesting that that was relevant to the shooting

Back