• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

I don't understand why the media seems to be emphasizing that this was a gay nightclub when I haven't seen anything suggesting that that was relevant to the shooting

News is saying the shooter's father said the shooter was disgusted by seeing two men kissing in Miami. But, I suppose besides that...

Last edited:
I know. I just thought tying the attacks to religious freedom laws was a bit of a stretch. I'm all for anti-gun rants was my point, but idk. Probably was less about your post and more about the flood of scorching hot takes from all corners of the Internet.

It's a tragedy no matter what turns out to have been at the root of it.

My Facebook feed seems to have forgotten that. It was the same shit after the UCLA shooting last week. I hate the tendency among people I know to publicly grandstand after every tragedy these days. It's gross. But don't read too much into that post.

Shit's fucked up and I hope those who pray can spare a prayer or two tonight.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Strickland33 again.

"Shooter's father spoke to NBC News: apologized, said had nothing to do with religion, son got mad after seeing two men kissing in Miami."

https://amp.twimg.com/v/a1f07521-0c5...9-d7bf433f0361

Well that's different then. But the NYT article I was reading earlier had nothing about any connection to homosexuality but still had a headline about a "shooting at a gay club" which I thought was pretty poor from a journalism standpoint

interesting that the father would prefer hatred of gays as the cause over ISIS

Gay bashing polls better than ISIS. I think both poll better than Congress though.

Yeah, I found this muddled nonsense to be particularly stupid:

What is non-sensical about it? Within hours there is going to be a fierce debate which ends in the leaders of this country doing exactly zilch. That's us as a people saying this is who we are.

Sandy Hook ended it. No way the gun lobby is going care more about 50 dead gays than than they care about dead children (not to mention the everyday dead children).

We're a country that has chosen the fact we are ok if we have mass shootings regularly.

Everyone of us should look in the mirror and accept that fact. We are ok with mass shootings, and will do nothing to prevent them.

No one is okay with mass shootings.

What if this guy bought his recently after he was on a terrorist watch list? How will the public and media treat the NRA and GOPers who voted against banning those on the watch list from buying guns?

No one is okay with mass shootings.
It's what you do, not what you say.

We say we are not OK with them, but our actions give lie to that. I'm tired of hearing us say we're not OK with it and to actually not be OK with it and take action.

Until then, we have to be honest with ourselves. We're OK with this happening regularly. That's the harsh truth.

What is non-sensical about it? Within hours there is going to be a fierce debate which ends in the leaders of this country doing exactly zilch. That's us as a people saying this is who we are.

Ask your coworkers tomorrow if they're cool with what happened. I'm going to guess the answer is no.

Ask your coworkers tomorrow if they're cool with what happened. I'm going to guess the answer is no.

If there are no concrete solutions aside from "thoughts and prayers" that's basically acceptance.

Compare the response to a mass shooting to the response to a terrorist attack.

It's an accepted part of American life. There will be more outrage than usual out of the right because this guy was brown but nothing substantial will be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why the media seems to be emphasizing that this was a gay nightclub when I haven't seen anything suggesting that that was relevant to the shooting

Holy fuck are u serious ?

If there are no concrete solutions aside from "thoughts and prayers" that's basically acceptance.

Compare the response to a mass shooting to the response to a terrorist attack.

My first thought is resignation is different from acceptance. Most people feel divorced from the mechanisms of power. They see that special interests hold outsized influence and voting has been reduced to the lesser of two evils. While it's true if you vote Republican you're likely voting for someone who won't have the will to take on the NRA, you still might vote Republican because of other issues where you feel they are less worse. Most people are not single issue voters. But that does not mean the public are okay with these shootings. It's more a failure of democracy and politicians who are not representative of the public.

Back