• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at an Orlando Gay Night Club

Do you realize how impossible it would be to seize all the guns out there? Are you for sane gun policies, policies that will actually lessen gun violence, or not? Making it far more difficult for extremists to own guns seems like a good start.

Huh? That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Prohibiting the possession of assault rifles WILL make it far more difficult for extremists to own them

You don't have to actually seize all the guns. You make their possession illegal and buy them back. Most people will turn theirs in for the money. Won't get rid of all of them, but will probably put them out of reach for most potential mass shooters

Stop what? You don't think a nail bomb set off in the middle of a packed club could kill dozens? You don't agree that assault weapons are part of the problem? What exactly did I say that you disagree with?

You are being colossally dense. What percentage of these mass shooters do you think could actually build and set off a nail bomb? 10%? Maybe fewer?

Are those actual Trump tweets?

McCrory: North Carolina ready to help in Orlando

RALEIGH, N.C.
Gov. Pat McCrory says North Carolina state Secretary of Public Safety Frank Perry is in contact with the Department of Homeland Security assessing what help the state may be able to provide in wake of the Florida nightclub shooting.

Police say a gunman opened fire killing at least 50 people in the worst mass shooting in American history. Authorities are investigating it as an act of terrorism.

McCrory issued a statement Sunday calling the shooting a tragedy that should never happen in America. He says those killed were "innocent victims of an inexcusable act of violence."

McCrory says his prayers go out to the families, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and the people of Orlando.

He says he's contacted Florida Governor Rick Scott offering any assistance North Carolina can provide.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article83312082.html#storylink=cpy

You are being colossally dense. What percentage of these mass shooters do you think could actually build and set off a nail bomb? 10%? Maybe fewer?

Well, I've never been interested in building that sort of thing but I imagine it would be pretty easy to find plans on the internet. Also, this will be the last time I repeat something you and the others have consistently ignored: easy access to assault weapons IS part of the problem. But your plan to make illegal all 2 million or so of these weapons and force owners to sell them back to the government or else, when 99.99% of the owners of these guns are law abiding, will not happen, especially in the current climate. But perhaps there could be a ban on future sales. Not that it would be easy to pass. But before then I think we need to make it easier to deny people who have been investigated for sympathies to extremist groups gun permits- sort of like a no fly list for guns. And we need to do a much better job of identifying the mentally ill and denying them access to guns.

right....scheduling a tweet....did they schedule the replacement tweet made 39 minutes later on Thursday?

So to make sure I understand your stance:

Ban the most common weapon of mass shooters: impossible

Design some kind of Minority Reportesque system that can identify lone wolf terrorists before they attack: realistic

Again, your point that it's impossible to pass in the climate is taken. But that's my point: the problem is the climate. That's what needs to change

Design some kind of Minority Reportesque system that can identify lone wolf terrorists before they attack: realistic

+1, throw in Neville Chamberlain, can't stop it why try, and seat belts

You thinking even a 100% Democrat controlled Senate is going to force a million or so law abiding gun owners to sell back their guns or else is straight up delusional. Yes, what you're suggesting has zero chance of happening. There would be a heavy political price. But, denying individuals who have been identified as ISIS sympathizers and other potentially violent extremists gun permits, similar to how we put them on a no fly list, you think this sort of common sense approach is something that can't be done and, given the paranoid NRA way in which you characterize it ("Minority Reportesque"), actually shouldn't be done...Well, I think it would be a good first step. And if you want fewer of these guns in the hands of ideologically motivated murderers, you should support such a plan.

You thinking even a 100% Democrat controlled Senate is going to force a million or so law abiding gun owners to sell back their guns or else is straight up delusional. Yes, what you're suggesting has zero chance of happening. There would be a heavy political price. But, denying individuals who have been identified as ISIS sympathizers and other potentially violent extremists gun permits, similar to how we put them on a no fly list, you think this sort of common sense approach is something that can't be done and, given the paranoid NRA way in which you characterize it ("Minority Reportesque"), actually shouldn't be done...Well, I think it would be a good first step. And if you want fewer of these guns in the hands of ideologically motivated murderers, you should support such a plan.

I'm fine with doing both, but restricting the instruments of this war is probably going to be a lot more effective.

How do you identify a potential lone wolf terrorist? You're never going to be able to identify a substantial number of these people in advance. Also I'm pretty sure there's going to be a constitutional problem with denying someone a handgun permit based solely on their sympathizing with ISIS without something more concrete. You're going to deny someone a constitutional right based solely on them saying they agree with ISIS? All sorts of free speech issues there.

Also realize that we had a ban on assault rifles like 10 years ago right? This isn't some radical pie-in-the-sky idea

Back