• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ban the fucking guns

The most obvious actions to me, with the most pay-off, are actions to limit access to handguns. Expanded background checks, registration requirements, controls on transfer, charges against registered owners whose guns are used to commit crimes after improper transfer, incentives for manufacturers and owners for implementing and using smart gun technology, inner city buybacks...

Good read, but I take issue with a couple of points.

Granted that there is less gun violence in countries where guns are illegal. Is there less overall violence or just less gun violence? If only the latter, then not much is accomplished while removing a constitutional right. I imagine there might be less overall violence, but that is an important point.

I agree that the original guarantee of the 2nd amendment was designed to protect against government tyranny. I disagree that part is obsolete. It would take certain exact and unlikely circumstances, but if the government so overstepped their powers that the vast majority of citizens wanted to revolt, then an armed citizenry could be successful. While this scenario is extremely unlikely, there is an argument that having an armed citizenry is a preventative against government tyranny.

We agree that there are many things we can do, but there are valid arguments against a gun ban.

I see this argument often, where gun advocates consider all types of violence as equal. That is an illogical way of thinking because gun violence is much more deadly than most any other type. Of course a gun ban won't end criminal violence, but it will certainly save a LOT of lives.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This pretty much tells the tale.
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-vs-western-homicide-rates-2014-11

screen%20shot%202014-11-11%20at%205.56.18%20pm.png

Seems like eliminating gun violence is a good goal even if gun bans don't end knife violence.

It's like the old trolley experiment. 9/10 of people are quick to pull a lever to kill someone while only 1/10 will push someone to kill them. Firing a gun is simply pulling a lever.

It's like the old trolley experiment. 9/10 of people are quick to pull a lever to kill someone while only 1/10 will push someone to kill them. Firing a gun is simply pulling a lever.
Guns are also much more deadly in suicide attempts, and situations with rash angry decisions, such as domestic violence.

Guns are also much more deadly in suicide attempts, and situations with rash angry decisions, such as domestic violence.

These are the situations that kill way more people than mass, planned attacks - and where efforts to limit the proliferation of handguns, and the quick, easy purchase of handguns, will have the most impact.

These are the situations that kill way more people than mass, planned attacks - and where efforts to limit the proliferation of handguns, and the quick, easy purchase of handguns, will have the most impact.

Which is why gun control advocates support them.

There's nothing in the Constitution about the sale of guns. Most states have regulations on how many cars an individual or entity can sell without a dealer's license. The same should be done with guns. If you can't sell more than three- five guns (there could be a once a year exemption for selling a collection to a single buyer) in a year without a license, this could effectively end the gun show loophole.

After the fifth gun there could be a $5000 fine for each subsequent gun sold and a short stay in jail. When you get to ten guns, the fines double with each gun sold and the jail time becomes prison time.

States could also make it a law that only licensed gun dealers can sell guns at publicly held events. There is nothing in the Constitution that protects the existence of gun shows.

There's nothing in the Constitution about the administration of elective abortions. Most states have regulations on how many cars an individual or entity can sell without a dealer's license. The same should be done with abortions. If you can't have more than one abortion in your lifetime (there could be a one-time exemption for aborting multiples) without a license, this could effectively end the abortion of unborn life.

After the first abortion there could be a $5000 fine for each subsequent abortion and a short stay in jail. When you get to three abortions, the fines double with each heartbeat stopped and the jail time becomes prison time.

States could also make it a law that persons having a publicly funded abortion must register with the CLEO in their county. There is nothing in the Constitution that protects the existence of abortions.

When keeping it RJ goes wrong.

Some Dems are staging a sit-in on the House floor led by John Lewis. Congress has control of the CSPAN cameras, so they have called a recess and cut the video feed.

So...you managed to find Dem lawmakers sitting around and doing nothing? This is news?

We're all much safer for it , though.

If the NRA Party would allow the gun laws even members of the NRA want to be passed, there wouldn't need to be any sit-ins. The GOP really should change their name to the NRAP. They are owned by the NRA.

I don't know why it's more powerful to sit on the floor than in those comfy chairs.

Back