• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

But why does he care about any of that? Without religion to create and guide morality, why as an atheist does he feel concern about either the rest of current humanity other than himself or the future of humanity? That morality is rooted in religion; I'm not saying atheists don't have morality with respect to themselves within society as part of a societal code, but I don't see how their morality spreads to a concern for others without the religious undertones. It is like he is trying to take the positive aspects of religion because it conforms with his beliefs while at the same time saying they don't exist. His whole stance seems pretty logically flawed to me (not atheism itself, but actively promoting atheism).

Why doesn't it spread?

You don't need religion to know that doing bad things to people hurts them and those around them, Helping people, loving them, sharing and teaching have nothing to with religion. They are about humanity.

Promoting atheism is no different than promoting a religion. You are sharing your beliefs with others just as they would be.

Furthermore the notion that morality (your apparent definition here is selfless altruistic type behavior) is senseless without religion, is facile. Altruism and, more prevalently, reciprocal altruism are behavioral modes that exist in nature across a wide variety of species. Even inter-species altruistic behaviors exist. Why does an antelope on the Savannah give a warning call loud enough for all the other antelopes and wildebeests and zebras to hear when a lion quietly approaches in the tall grass? Why not quietly slink away and let one of those other animals get munched? Because next time a Zebra might be the first one to see the lion. Helping others out is highly beneficial in the long run when you live in groups. Humans obviously evolved as social animals so the tendency for reciprocal altruistic behaviors is prevalent. So, in a sense, he can't help but try to help others out when he sees a lion sneaking about in the brush.

This addresses the question of how morality came to exist. It does not address the question, posed many times on a daily basis, of what should I do? Science can't answer that. Moreover, even if science could say that this or that behavior is a trait that exists because of evolution, that doesn't answer the question of why should I do it? You need religion and/or philosophy for that.

so, did we solve Islam yet?

Its hard anytime we get close to having a serious conversation that person is character assassinated. anytime we point out the troubles with islam in Europe we are told it is France, UK or Germany's fault not assimilating them. SO looks like it boils down to OWG being the problem that needs "fixing" again.

Its hard anytime we get close to having a serious conversation that person is character assassinated. anytime we point out the troubles with islam in Europe we are told it is France, UK or Germany's fault not assimilating them. SO looks like it boils down to OWG being the problem that needs "fixing" again.

the cross heavier, the tiny violin ever louder

tumblr_mcrfl9MRLO1rdkgtao1_250.gif

tumblr_mi1hvlVTJ31qlvie8o5_r2_250.gif

[video]http://makeagif.com/7zccfi[/video]

C'mon 89. MOST [Omitted] people did not shoot 49 people earlier this month on Orlando. It really could have been anyone. I was surprised as anyone to hear that the shooter wasn't Amish, Australian aborigine, or even an unfrozen caveman lawyer. It turns out that [Omitted] won the mass killing lottery this time, but I guess it was [Omitted]'s turn, because we haven't had a double-digit killing spree by someone of the [Omitted] faith since this past December. Aloha snackbar, 89.

C'mon 89. MOST [Omitted] people did not shoot 49 people earlier this month on Orlando. It really could have been anyone. I was surprised as anyone to hear that the shooter wasn't Amish, Australian aborigine, or even an unfrozen caveman lawyer. It turns out that [Omitted] won the mass killing lottery this time, but I guess it was [Omitted]'s turn, because we haven't had a double-digit killing spree by someone of the [Omitted] faith since this past December. Aloha snackbar, 89.

its harder than playing clue. It was the amish man in the US with the pipe bomb was my answer. to be fair it was paying 1000-1

its harder than playing clue. It was the amish man in the US with the pipe bomb was my answer. to be fair it was paying 1000-1

Maybe Loretta Lynch ("our most effective weapon is love") could sell some version of identity politics Madlibs.

This addresses the question of how morality came to exist. It does not address the question, posed many times on a daily basis, of what should I do? Science can't answer that. Moreover, even if science could say that this or that behavior is a trait that exists because of evolution, that doesn't answer the question of why should I do it? You need religion and/or philosophy for that.

You don't need religion to know that you shouldn't commit crimes or immoral acts. The simple fear of jail or being ostracized by the community are plenty or knowing right from wrong would keep most from anti-social behavior.

The concept that an atheist can't have a moral construct because he/she doesn't believe in a god or gods is ludicrous.

do you guys use lube or are you so callused up at this point you don't need it?

asking for a friend

do you guys use lube or are you so callused up at this point you don't need it?

asking for a friend

I have to wonder if it is insecurity about your own feelings that every post has to have some sarcasm in it to give you room to back out of any of your stances. It must be hard straddling the fence all day thinking you are slaying everyone with your quips. I enjoy them but I am concerned for your happiness. Are you happy in there Captain?

I have to wonder if it is insecurity about your own feelings that every post has to have some sarcasm in it to give you room to back out of any of your stances. It must be hard straddling the fence all day thinking you are slaying everyone with your quips. I enjoy them but I am concerned for your happiness. Are you happy in there Captain?

hm, and what position have I backed out of?

hm, and what position have I backed out of?

[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=tell+me+more+about+how+I+am+insecure&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBveug47vNAhUjzIMKHUn5DuQQ_AUIBigB#imgr c=H-LMv1PUjVEM2M%3A[/video]

search

Hey, if two guys with similar views can't agree with each other and makes jokes and jerk each other off......is that the kind of world we want to live in?

Last edited:
Hey, if two guys with similar views can't agree with eacho ther and makes jokes and jerk each other off......is that the kind of world we want to live in?

hard for a couple of conservatives on here to form a circle like you libs are used to but I guess we will have to make due.

Back