• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

2810693-0853900898-thumb.gif

This addresses the question of how morality came to exist. It does not address the question, posed many times on a daily basis, of what should I do? Science can't answer that. Moreover, even if science could say that this or that behavior is a trait that exists because of evolution, that doesn't answer the question of why should I do it? You need religion and/or philosophy for that.

Correct, science cannot tell you what you should value.

This addresses the question of how morality came to exist. It does not address the question, posed many times on a daily basis, of what should I do? Science can't answer that. Moreover, even if science could say that this or that behavior is a trait that exists because of evolution, that doesn't answer the question of why should I do it? You need religion and/or philosophy for that.

Addendum: Yes science cannot define moral codes. However the question of "why should I do it" does not require religion or philosophy. The evolution of altruistic behaviors tends to compel individuals to act altruistically, and they don't understand why. How those compulsions manifest would vary and may be defined by a moral code established by some religion or philosophy that an individual was convinced (or forced by upbringing) to believe. However the manifestation of altruism can occur in the absence of religion of some formalized philosophy. I offer my own compulsions to work professionally in the wildlife conservation field as an example, whereby, inexplicably I feel compelled to partake in activities that benefit and preserve wildlife despite the fact that I could make A LOT more money as a statistical analyst for an investment bank or even ESPN. No religion or specific philosophy guided me or dictated to me that I had to make this personal sacrifice, I just chose that as my path. Unless you consider David Attenborough a religious figure / philosopher. Religion and philosophy can actually be a post hoc attempt to explain or justify the compulsion for personal sacrifice.

C'mon 89. MOST [Omitted] people did not shoot 49 people earlier this month on Orlando. It really could have been anyone. I was surprised as anyone to hear that the shooter wasn't Amish, Australian aborigine, or even an unfrozen caveman lawyer. It turns out that [Omitted] won the mass killing lottery this time, but I guess it was [Omitted]'s turn, because we haven't had a double-digit killing spree by someone of the [Omitted] faith since this past December. Aloha snackbar, 89.
[sic] joke, bro.

Just curious, what do they see it as when we expend 100s of millions of taxpayer dollars bombing the shit out of them and kicking their asses out of Tikrit, Sinjar, Ramadi and Fallujah*? Or does all the ass-kissing outweigh the ass-kicking?

*ETA: with the help of our MUSLIM allies who practice ISLAM, just for the record.

Just curious, what do they see it as when we expend 100s of millions of taxpayer dollars bombing the shit out of them and kicking their asses out of Tikrit, Sinjar, Ramadi and Fallujah*? Or does all the ass-kissing outweigh the ass-kicking?

*ETA: with the help of our MUSLIM allies who practice ISLAM, just for the record.

Stop bringing reality into sailor's rant.

What do folks propose we do as America to stop the events that occurred in Istanbul yesterday?

SOFT ON TERROR

as we can all see, schizophrenic policies work just great

Back