• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

Oh there are definitely clear parallels. There are also major differences. But that doesn't fit nicely on a graph.

Agree. There are a lot of big differences, but over 100M people have been killed in the name of the Christian God. It's not like Christianity is the religion of peace by a long shot. It's certainly more developed, and I definitely think that some things need to be done to research the compatibility of "extreme" Islam and the Western world.

There's no doubt that ISIS wants to expand West (by their own accord), and also have been using the internet and lone wolf attacks to further their cause. I think we all agree that it is a pretty big growing concern that needs to be addressed.

Of course there are some parallels and similarities, but all you need to do is look at how Jews, women, and homosexuals are treated in any Muslim country as opposed to the United States. You keep trying to pretend Christians in the US are just as oppressive, which is nonsense. But it's pointless. You ignore the Pew research showing just how backwards most Muslims are on a whole range of issues. Instead of acknowledging it, you have to jump to this false equivalency and say, "Look at Westboro! More of that Christian tolerance."

I've never said that Christians in the US are "just as oppressive". I was also somewhat trolling with the Westboro post. My point there is that there are extremes of each religion that are reprehensible and responsible for a lot of deaths, both domestic and abroad.

It was a far cry from a false equivalency.

I've never said that Christians in the US are "just as oppressive". I was also somewhat trolling with the Westboro post. My point there is that there are extremes of each religion that are reprehensible and responsible for a lot of deaths, both domestic and abroad.

It was a far cry from a false equivalency.

But this is what you and the rest don't get. Mainstream Islam IS extreme. There has been a large increase in immigrants from Pakistan over the past two years. Granted, unlike Europe, we tend to get the more well educated, more affluent Muslims. So they are likely to be more moderate. But look at these attitudes:
gsi2-chp1-8.png

gsi2-chp1-9.png

One of the bigger checks on Christianity from implementing some awful things is the separation of church and states most majority Christian nations enjoy.

Agree. There are a lot of big differences, but over 100M people have been killed in the name of the Christian God. It's not like Christianity is the religion of peace by a long shot. It's certainly more developed, and I definitely think that some things need to be done to research the compatibility of "extreme" Islam and the Western world.

There's no doubt that ISIS wants to expand West (by their own accord), and also have been using the internet and lone wolf attacks to further their cause. I think we all agree that it is a pretty big growing concern that needs to be addressed.

While that may be true, you could just as easily say that many multiples of that number have been clothed, fed, given medicine, literally "saved", etc. in the name of the Christian God. Obviously Christianity has had its major historical faults, but I think most people can agree that its positives for humanity have far outweighed its negatives. I don't think you can say the same for Islam to this point.

While that may be true, you could just as easily say that many multiples of that number have been clothed, fed, given medicine, literally "saved", etc. in the name of the Christian God. Obviously Christianity has had its major historical faults, but I think most people can agree that its positives for humanity have far outweighed its negatives. I don't think you can say the same for Islam to this point.

I'm really not trolling when I say this, I don't think "most" people agree with that.

I'm really not trolling when I say this, I don't think "most" people agree with that.

I'm more interested in how things are working now. And when I look at how gays, Jews, and women have it in the US compared to any Muslim country, there is no comparison. The US is paradise for these groups compared to Muslim countries. Not that the US is anywhere close to perfect. But Christianity is far less of an oppressive force here than Islam is there.

just out of curiosity, what positives has Christianity bestowed on humanity

just out of curiosity, what positives has Christianity bestowed on humanity

The abolitionists were motivated by Christianity. Then again, the slave owners also found justification in the Bible. I think on an individual level it can help people deal with the all the shit that comes with living and can be a positive force.

I'm more interested in how things are working now. And when I look at how gays, Jews, and women have it in the US compared to any Muslim country, there is no comparison. The US is paradise for these groups compared to Muslim countries. Not that the US is anywhere close to perfect. But Christianity is far less of an oppressive force here than Islam is there.

I agree with this.

At the same time, just because Christianity treats these groups better because they are killing them than extreme Muslims do, doesn't mean what is going on here is fantastic for them either. Gays are still discriminated against on a daily basis across America. In a lot of states they can't get married, can be discriminated in the workplace against with no repercussions (or ability to sue in a state court), and have much worse overall life than those born straight.

That's something that needs to be fixed, regardless of how it compares to the Muslim treatment of them as a whole.

I agree with this.

At the same time, just because Christianity treats these groups better because they are killing them than extreme Muslims do, doesn't mean what is going on here is fantastic for them either. Gays are still discriminated against on a daily basis across America. In a lot of states they can't get married, can be discriminated in the workplace against with no repercussions (or ability to sue in a state court), and have much worse overall life than those born straight.

That's something that needs to be fixed, regardless of how it compares to the Muslim treatment of them as a whole.

We need to fix this christianity problem fast. It is really on the hearts and minds of the American people. then and only then can we look at the issue with islam and radicalization. in the mean time lets allow for millions more to come here from countries with abysmal records on the very things we claim to be against. Oh well at least liberalism will never run out of business.

Last edited:
We need to fix this christianity problem fast. It is really on the hearts and minds of the American people. then and only then can we look at the issue with islam and radicalization. in the mean time lets allow for millions more to come here from countries with abysmal records on the very things we claim to be against. Oh well at least liberalism will never run out of business.

How many Muslims are even coming to America on a yearly basis? Those with a hispanic origin probably make up around 50% of the immigrant population, and I would venture to guess SE Asia has much higher numbers coming here than the Middle East.

Why am I supposed to care one way or another about a poll of Muslims who think sharia should be the law of the land? Seems to show the closer a country is to Saudi, the more likely such Muslims are to actually want specific provisions of sharia to be the law.

How many Muslims are even coming to America on a yearly basis? Those with a hispanic origin probably make up around 50% of the immigrant population, and I would venture to guess SE Asia has much higher numbers coming here than the Middle East.

I am sorry I don't understand the question? how many is ok if they hate gays, jews, christians and have horrible record towards women?

I am sorry I don't understand the question? how many is ok if they hate gays, jews, christians and have horrible record towards women?

ah, the Right's infinite compassion towards the plight of women.

It's pointless to respond if you are going to condemn an entire religion based on the actions of a very, very small amount.

Back