• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

just out of curiosity, what positives has Christianity bestowed on humanity

Is this a serious question? Putting aside all of the artistic and literary contributions, just look at the current donated dollars and services for Catholicism alone and just in the US (obviously worldwide it is even more massive):

The church is the largest single charitable organisation in the country. Catholic Charities USA, its main charity, and its subsidiaries employ over 65,000 paid staff and serve over 10m people. These organisations distributed $4.7 billion to the poor in 2010.

there are now over 6,800 Catholic schools (5% of the national total); 630 hospitals (11%) plus a similar number of smaller health facilities; and 244 colleges and universities. Many of these institutions are known for excellence: seven of the leading 25 part-time law school programmes in America are Catholic (five are run by Jesuits). A quarter of the 100 top-ranked hospitals are Catholic. All these institutions are subject to the oversight of a bishop or a religious order.

The Economist estimates that annual spending by the church and entities owned by the church was around $170 billion in 2010 (the church does not release such figures). We think 57% of this goes on health-care networks, followed by 28% on colleges, with parish and diocesan day-to-day operations accounting for just 6% and national charitable activities just 2.7% (see chart). In total, Catholic institutions employ over 1m people, reckons Fred Gluck, a former McKinsey managing partner and co-founder of the National Leadership Roundtable on Church Management, a lay organisation seeking to improve the way the church is run. For purposes of secular comparison, in 2010 General Electric’s revenue was $150 billion and Walmart employed roughly 2m people.

http://www.economist.com/node/21560536

First line from your Wikipedia article: "Violence in Buddhism refers to Buddhists who perform acts of violence which go against their beliefs of their religion."

So your understanding of a religion - in this case Buddhism - is informed by the actions of people who operate outside the precepts of said religion? That seems problematic.

literally every religion says that about itself.

my understanding is that religion is used to help understand and process questions of existence and morality. I hold it accountable when that process interferes with the rest of humanity.

i don't care if the Rulebook says "be nice" if that tenant is completely ignored. also the tenets.

Last edited:
Is this a serious question? Putting aside all of the artistic and literary contributions, just look at the donated dollars and services for Catholicism alone and just in the US (obviously worldwide it is even more massive):

http://www.economist.com/node/21560536

cool; what percentage of the vast hordes of money the Catholic church stole and extorted it's way into acquiring over centuries has it returned?

121386-004-04D0E536.jpg

We need to fix this christianity problem fast. It is really on the hearts and minds of the American people. then and only then can we look at the issue with islam and radicalization. in the mean time lets allow for millions more to come here from countries with abysmal records on the very things we claim to be against. Oh well at least liberalism will never run out of business.

Why does fixing problems have to occur in chronological order? Can we only do one thing at a time? Personally, i would love to see us address radical Islam AND address American Christianity's treatment of LGBT community. At the same time.

Do you hold the human rights violations of the Soviet Union, Khmer Rouge, and Maoist China as a black mark against atheism and extrapolate atheism to be an impediment to human progress or nah captain?

Do you hold the human rights violations of the Soviet Union, Khmer Rouge, and Maoist China as a black mark against atheism and extrapolate atheism to be an impediment to human progress or nah captain?

dumb canard. no government ever used "atheism" to justify their violence.

also, atheism isn't a religion.

literally every religion says that about itself.

my understanding is that religion is used to help understand and process questions of existence and morality. I hold it accountable when that process interferes with the rest of humanity.

i don't care if the Rulebook says "be nice" if that tenant is completely ignored

I think that's a good definition of what a religion is supposed to be, but it's interesting that you conflate all the major religions. That's mainly what I was curious about.

I don't have a great answer for Buddhism's violence - I know it goes against the major teachings of the religion. I believe you could find scripture to support violence if you looked hard enough. It's probably being done in Myanmar right now. It's human nature to find justification for your actions.

dumb canard. no government ever used "atheism" to justify their violence.

IMO the cult of reason stage of the French Revolution, some of the anti-clericalism on the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War, and Mao's cultural revolution would all fit this category.

IMO the cult of reason stage of the French Revolution, some of the anti-clericalism on the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War, and Mao's cultural revolution would all fit this category.

Not to mention what happened in the Soviet Union, Cambodia, etc.

Trying to say atheism is a religion is like getting into a philosophical argument that there is no such thing as nothing because nothing is something.

Why does fixing problems have to occur in chronological order? Can we only do one thing at a time? Personally, i would love to see us address radical Islam AND address American Christianity's treatment of LGBT community. At the same time.

Well, one is like having a minor annoying cold and the other is more like a ruptured appendix.

Seems like we should concentrate on the ruptured appendix.

Well, one is like having a minor annoying cold and the other is more like a ruptured appendix.

Seems like we should concentrate on the ruptured appendix.

Agreed, which is why we should put the majority of our legislative resources into gun control.

Trying to say atheism is a religion is like getting into a philosophical argument that there is no such thing as nothing because nothing is something.

Anything requiring faith and inspiring devotees that are unwilling to question their premise is a religion (or close enough).

Atheism as opposed to agnosticism requires an act of faith as there is no proof either way..

I'm going to put the burden of proof on the people who believe there is an imaginary man in the sky for this one.

Back