• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

I am most certainly not a parody. Just a believer in old time religion. You really think that something (the universe) came from nothing and that organization comes from chaos? Is that how things work in the real world where we live? An iPhone doesn't just coagulate because some matter erupted from the big bang. This is all God's plan, especially Trump.

Last edited:
I am more certainly not a parody. Just a believer in old time religion. You really think that something (the universe) came from nothing and that organization comes from chaos? Is that how things work in the real world where we live? An iPhone doesn't just coagulate because some matter erupted from the big bang. This is all God's plan, especially Trump.

Trump and Scott Pruitt are specifically tasked with making the lake of fire! Cuyahoga 2.0!

Cuyahoga_River_Fire_Nov._3%2C_1952.jpg

— Northrop Frye. “The Great Code” with 4 essays from “Anatomy of Criticism” as backdrop
You have such a strange and interesting conservative investment in the critical tradition of the 70s and 80s, especially relative to your derisive asides about the culture wars and deconstruction. None of it is really wrong, per se, but just really really out of date. Like, are you still pimping Joseph Campbell and Huizinga? You should get to Greenblatt soon.

Your self-proclaimed status as auto-didact is pretty sweet. Like, I wish I was really smart and had a great memory. I just find it interesting the currency of stuff (for you) not forgotten or dismissed but more like built-upon by decades of new stuff. I do enjoy returning to that stuff every once in a while.

Also, as I sidenote, I'm staying at Vic in July. Always take a photo with the usually snow-covered Northrop Frye statue just sitting on a bench.

As a scientist, I would think you'd be more of an agnostic than an atheist. Being an atheist sets a definitive no. However, an agnostic gives you the scientific position that what we currently think is supernatural could be explained. It may not be a god in the historic stature. It could be a fuller understanding of the universe and those in it.

Maybe those "powers" are explicable, but we can't do that yet. A hundred-fifty years ago, planes didn't exist. We can send vehicles to Pluto and beyond. Think of what may happen in the next 150-200 years.

Most Jews and Roman Catholics believe The Bible is allegorical. No one was turned into a pillar of salt. There was no ark (think of the smell). Could there have been a 900 year old man (other than Mel Brooks)? Maybe it was a "person" from another planet. Hell, even in Bill Maher's movie Religiosity, the Vatican's astronomer said are were beings elsewhere in ours or other universes. Unlike other faiths, the priest said, life on other planets would not disprove our current definition of faith or God.

As a scientist, I would think you'd be more of an agnostic than an atheist. Being an atheist sets a definitive no. However, an agnostic gives you the scientific position that what we currently think is supernatural could be explained. It may not be a god in the historic stature. It could be a fuller understanding of the universe and those in it.

Maybe those "powers" are explicable, but we can't do that yet. A hundred-fifty years ago, planes didn't exist. We can send vehicles to Pluto and beyond. Think of what may happen in the next 150-200 years.

Most Jews and Roman Catholics believe The Bible is allegorical. No one was turned into a pillar of salt. There was no ark (think of the smell). Could there have been a 900 year old man (other than Mel Brooks)? Maybe it was a "person" from another planet. Hell, even in Bill Maher's movie Religiosity, the Vatican's astronomer said are were beings elsewhere in ours or other universes. Unlike other faiths, the priest said, life on other planets would not disprove our current definition of faith or God.

I mean, sure, technically I'm agnostic in the sense that you can't truly prove a god does not exist, Dawkins himself admits this in his book the God Delusion...and sure you can adjust the definitions of a deity to squeeze it into the remaining gaps in scientific knowledge but with each passing discovery there is less and less need to for faith. But, to me the probabilities are so strongly aligned against super natural deities that I Just go the extra step. Even scientists, at some point accept the available evidence as sufficiently supportive of a hypothesis or a theory that we accept it as "true." Of course to be a good scientist you also have to be willing to accept new evidence that refutes the theory or hypothesis.

Little doubt that Jesus was a real person.

Yea, plenty of fiction about Jesus has been and is still believed.

trump-and-jesus.jpg

trump_post-1024x691.jpg

It would explain why a slug like Trump is POTUS.

Just an idea. Maybe as you do good or bad you work your way up or down. We haven't figured out what's next after human.

Just an idea. Maybe as you do good or bad you work your way up or down. We haven't figured out what's next after human.

So not "evolution" at all? Transmigration of souls is a major tenet of every major indian religion.

I guess we'll never be able to disprove this idea so it's just as good as any other religion. Let's go with it. You write the book and I'll try to find some dude to serve as the real life prophet / martyr to promote the ideas.

Back