• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EU vote-Brexit...what will it mean to us?

oops

UK economy shrinks at fastest rate since financial crisis

Ahead of Thursday’s Bank of England meeting, the UK economy has been confirmed as slowing at its fastest rate since the financial crisis following the Brexit vote.

The final reading of the UK services PMI for July came in at 47.4, down from 52.3 in June and in line with the flash reading two weeks ago.

The all-sector index of services and manufacturing (as well as construction) was lower than the initial estimate, down from 51.9 in June to 47.3 and marking the lowest level since April 2009. The flash estimate was 47.7.

Moody's warns Brexit could lead to 10% price falls in commercial property

The office market in central London would be worst hit because that’s where most financial and professional service firms are located. Demand for property would fall as firms would move some operations elsewhere in the EU, Moody’s predicted.

Developers Hammerson and Land Securities, which are major players in UK commercial property, are particularly at risk.

Some of Britain’s biggest food producers have issued a serious warning about home-grown fruit and veg following the Brexit vote.

British fruit and vegetables would all but vanish from shops if Brexit means the foreign workers who pick virtually all the home-grown produce are no longer able to come to the UK, according to some of the country’s biggest producers.

They warn that the nation’s food security would be damaged and that produce in UK shops would become more expensive if the freedom of movement for EU workers came to an end. They are urging ministers to set up a new permit scheme for seasonal workers.

Yeah, those policies are pretty Draconian. I loved the Conservative Party line that "it is time for businesses to wean themselves off cheap migrant labor." I'm sure that will end well. Wait until nursing and retirement homes can't fully staff themselves and other fields can't find adequate personnel. I'm sure that UK citizens will come forward to take all those jobs.

Eight U.K. Doctors Died From Coronavirus. All Were Immigrants.

It is a story tinged with racism, as white, British doctors have largely dominated the prestigious disciplines while foreign doctors have typically found work in places and practices that are apparently putting them on the dangerous front lines of the coronavirus pandemic.

“When people were standing on the street clapping for NHS workers, I thought, ‘A year and a half ago, they were talking about Brexit and how these immigrants have come into our country and want to take our jobs,’” said Dr. Hisham el-Khidir, whose cousin Dr. Adil el-Tayar, a transplant surgeon, died March 25 from the coronavirus in western London.

agzhs.jpg

Wonder how many doctors and other health care workers we lost due to the Muslim ban and other xenophobic rhetoric.

Back