• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EU vote-Brexit...what will it mean to us?

Now would be an interesting time for the Queen to abdicate and let Prince William step. up.

This popped up in my Facebook feed this morning. I laughed.

'Brexit, A Still Life by Anastasia Piliavsky'

13465937_10157119679905192_4970608765738577774_n.jpg

I'm not sure what else could've done in the close to two years since the Scottish referendum to further encourage Scottish independence. From a Scottish perspective the way that campaign was run, the 2015 election and this referendum has to seem like a giant F-U to them.

I'd be surprised if they didn't leave, and soon

Scotland would have to decide whether to launch their own currency or go with the Euro. Shitty time for them to move with low oil prices.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/establishment-gets-their-comeuppance/

Democracy is meaningless without independence. Middle-schoolers may get to vote for class president — and may care deeply about the outcome — but ultimately, those votes don't have much of an effect on school policy. Similarly, when a country isn't independent, the real power lies beyond the ability of the voters to reach. They can vote and vote — but they can't force a significant change in policy.

This was the problem that voters in Britain faced yesterday. They still had a parliament, and elections, just as they had done for centuries. But more and more, real decision-making power was leaving Britain, and going to unelected bureaucrats in Brussels — bureaucrats who were often indifferent, or even hostile, to the desires of the British people.

The results were what you would expect: policies that benefited a tiny elite class (mostly in London), but left working class people behind. Years and years of complaints from British voters went unheeded. Even yesterday, the elites in Europe were planning to move forward with their plans to take even more power from the British people. But today, the British people have taken their power back.

We Americans will soon face a similar choice. For years now, Americans have been trying to change policy at the ballot box. But the policies don't change very much, because so much power is beyond the reach of the voters. The Fed sets monetary policy without concern for what we think. The Supreme Court makes social policy without concern for what we think. The WTO makes trade policy without concern for what we think. And, for most Americans, the result has been a disaster. As in Britain, we have a country where a few people are getting all the benefits, and most of us are stuck with the burden.

That's why Republican voters nominated Donald Trump. He was the only candidate who understood the importance of restoring American independence. And most Republicans understand that independence is essential to having real pro-American policies. Britain has chosen freedom and independence. In November, Americans have the opportunity to make the same choice.

Democracy is meaningless without independence. Middle-schoolers may get to vote for class president — and may care deeply about the outcome — but ultimately, those votes don't have much of an effect on school policy. Similarly, when a country isn't independent, the real power lies beyond the ability of the voters to reach. They can vote and vote — but they can't force a significant change in policy.

This was the problem that voters in Britain faced yesterday. They still had a parliament, and elections, just as they had done for centuries. But more and more, real decision-making power was leaving Britain, and going to unelected bureaucrats in Brussels — bureaucrats who were often indifferent, or even hostile, to the desires of the British people.

The results were what you would expect: policies that benefited a tiny elite class (mostly in London), but left working class people behind. Years and years of complaints from British voters went unheeded. Even yesterday, the elites in Europe were planning to move forward with their plans to take even more power from the British people. But today, the British people have taken their power back.

We Americans will soon face a similar choice. For years now, Americans have been trying to change policy at the ballot box. But the policies don't change very much, because so much power is beyond the reach of the voters. The Fed sets monetary policy without concern for what we think. The Supreme Court makes social policy without concern for what we think. The WTO makes trade policy without concern for what we think. And, for most Americans, the result has been a disaster. As in Britain, we have a country where a few people are getting all the benefits, and most of us are stuck with the burden.

That's why Republican voters nominated Donald Trump. He was the only candidate who understood the importance of restoring American independence. And most Republicans understand that independence is essential to having real pro-American policies. Britain has chosen freedom and independence. In November, Americans have the opportunity to make the same choice.

Total horseshit.

Total horseshit.

I was going to ask which part and then I realized it was all of it. It did contain my favorite criticism of Obama by the right: he's ineffectual yet somehow ruining everything. Pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me a fucking break... I still don't understand how the board's most liberal member from the late naughts/early2teens is supporting Trump but that's besides the point.

Donald Trump is a strongman authoritarian and is not restoring American independence any time soon. The irony of Trump supporters saying XYZ institution isn't concerned with what the public thinks but Trump does is rich. Trump has zero regard for anyone but himself. This is the man who has advocated for or said the following:

-Banning Muslims from entering the U.S.
-Banning Mexicans from entering the U.S.
-Censoring the press
-Threatening Judges and the legal system for personal reasons
-Violence should he lose the primary
-Jail time for women seeking abortion
-Has praised the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII
-Supporting protectionist policies/repealing free trade agreements (because fuck economic freedom too)

That list has nothing to do with restoring American independence or freedom.

If you want to understand Brexit and what's coming, read this:

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/06/24/the-end-of-globalism/

Great article. Dead-on.

"But what does this mean for globalism, the ideology beloved of cultural elites, banks, the media, academics, and Silicon Valley, that is currently under siege from Trump in the U.S, Brexiters in the U.K, and populists on the continent?

Firstly, it’s a total rebuke to the normal tactics used by media and cultural elites to crush popular uprisings. They must really be panicking. How could so many people not do what the media and their political leaders told them to do? Could it be that branding voters you don’t like racist, bigoted, or “low-information” simply doesn’t work anymore?

For years, global elites and their allies in the commentariat have tried to brand their opponents as kooks, conspiracy theorists and, failing that, as racists, sexists homophobes and so on. But it’s not working any more. In both the U.S. and Europe, such tactics are now likely to backfire, driving more support to populists.

Trump, of course, is the American version of Brexit. Little wonder that he both predicted a leave vote and, unlike Obama, praised it when it actually happened. Like Trump, every single naysayer spouts doom and gloom about Brexit, but both will be long-term boons for their nations. (Despite all the fearmongering prior to the vote, Obama has now rushed to reaffirm America’s alliance with Britain.)"

great investigative reporting by NBC, they went out in the street and found a dumb voter or two; if they wanted to interview dumb ass voters, the knuckleheads could have saved their time and trouble and simply interviewed each other without even leaving their own headquarters, that would at least have the virtue of providing proper background for their unfortunate viewers

I was going to ask which part and then I realized it was all of it. It did contain my favorite criticism of Obama by the right: he's ineffectual yet somehow ruining everything. Pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I was going to elaborate but I felt "horseshit" said it all.

One problem with Brexit's success as an indicator of Trump's forthcoming success is demographics.

UK 87% white
US 63%

Last edited:
One problem with Brexit's success as an indicator of Trump's forthcoming success is demographics.

UK 87% white
US 63%

Yep. The people OWGs want to keep out are already here and can vote.

UK 87% white
US 63%

Heard that on NPR, very significant difference.

Back