• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EU vote-Brexit...what will it mean to us?

Yeah, just closed off to non white people, not the "world"

For some people I'm sure that's part of it, but there are real problems for native born citizens posed by these lobbyist written trade agreements and mass immigration. It's just a pity a candidate as poor as Trump is the person to put these issues on the front burner in the US.

Newengland, Social Security will be fine with a few tweaks. The demise of it has been predicted ever since the 70s. It can be saved if anyone has some balls.

You can look at House Republicans for killing the infrastructure bills over the past decade and in the 00s. As you know the Senate passed several roads bills that would have helped. But you are correct, much more is needed.

But you don't mention how boomers have helped millennials with little things like PCs, cell phones, internet, massive medical breakthroughs. We have also helped to make progress on civil rights that you can't possibly understand just as I can't understand Irish's experiences in Iraq.

Some of what happened in the 00s was created by the kids of the boomers. Remember, boomers started in 46 and ended in 64, some of those 00s, culprits were in their 30s and thus the kids of boomers.

Oh and in college I drove a Honda Accord......

Well, I never drove anything when I was at WF. Never had a car during the entire four years. And most of the students were in that situation. I would say that fewer than 10% of the students had a car at that time. Wonder how students these days would handle going thru four years at WF without a car? And probably 95% of the students lived on campus in the dorms. There was more of a feeling of "togetherness" then, as we were all "stuck there together" almost all of the time. That's why we also went to all the football games & basketball games, too. We never had a winning season in football or basketball during the entire four years I was there....but we went to all the games and had a great time, anyway. (And we walked over to Memorial Coliseum, by the way....sometimes stopping by the T.O.G. (Tavern On the Green) for a beer on the way back to the campus.

If I wanted to go home for the weekend, I usually thumbed, unless I was lucky enough to have a parent or relative drive to Winston-Salem to pick me up. Caught a ride with someone who was going downtown, then walked down the exit ramp from Cherry Street to I-40. Thumbed the 26 miles to Greensboro....hopefully with one ride that was going the entire way, but sometimes it only took me to the Kernersville exit and I had to catch a 2nd one to Greensboro. That was the easy part, though. Once I got to Greensboro, I had to catch another ride on two-lane highway #220 for the last 20 miles to Randleman. Catching rides on that old road was harder than on the interstate.

Never had any money during the time I was at WF, either. Probably had less than $5 in my pocket 90% of the time. I still have a letter that my next-door uncle (who was like a 2nd father to me...didn't have any children of his own and was probably the main reason I chose WF, as he was the person who took me to several WF games beginning when I was about 12 years old) sent me in which he enclosed $2.....two $1 bills....in case I wanted to "get a Staley's Special" sometime. (By the way, going to "Big Al" Dillard's Staley's Open Hearth Restaurant on Reynolda Road for a Staley's Special was a treat in those days.)

Millennials today simply have no idea what it would be like to go to WF under the circumstances like that. They could never cope with those kinds of restrictions and limitations on their mobility & finances.

When I went to Wake, I had to walk to school uphill 2 miles.................both ways!!!!!!

When I went to Wake, I had to walk to school uphill 2 miles.................both ways!!!!!!

Very funny. The difference is that what I said wasn't said as a joke. It actually happened. That's the way it was in the mid to late 60s. Can you imagine WF students today thumbing rides back & forth home on weekends.....or never having a car to drive during their entire four years of college?

They have no idea.....

You do realize that what's considered the norm changes over time because of a little thing called advancement. Can you imagine WF students in the 60s not ever being in a car their entire lives. Only ever walking, riding horse, or taking a carriage because that's the way it was in the 10's.

They have no idea....

You do realize that what's considered the norm changes over time because of a little thing called advancement. Can you imagine WF students in the 60s not ever being in a car their entire lives. Only ever walking, riding horse, or taking a carriage because that's the way it was in the 10's.

They have no idea....

I thought that all the Boomer Generation had done during the last 40 years was make things worse for the millennials. Where did this "advancement" that you speak of come from?

And how did the current crop of WF students come to have cash, cars & apartments during their college experience....when the Boomers lived in dorms, ate in the Pit and thumbed home on weekends....if all the Boomers have been doing all these years was ruining everything for them?

Last edited:

They have no idea....

Actually, in the early 70s, frosh (unless they were day students) weren't allowed to have cars on campus. I think 73 or 74 was the first time frosh could have cars.

Those twice weekly mandatory chapel programs at 10 AM Tuesday & Thursday is another thing that today's students would have a conniption about....and Saturday morning classes. I don't suppose they have Saturday morning classes now, do they?

I know that I probably had the worst possible schedule during my first semester in the fall of my freshman year. Of course, that was my own fault. I had the earliest class possible and the latest class possible....six days a week: 8 AM, 9 AM, Noon & 3 PM on MWF and 8 AM & Noon on TTS. (The last Saturday class was moved up from Noon to 11 AM, since the two chapel programs took up the 10 AM slot on Tuesday & Thursday.) Lots of dead time between classes. Just terrible scheduling on my part. Oh, and freshmen were only allowed 3 cuts per semester back then. I doubt they even have any mandatory class attendance now, do they?

As far as the chapel programs went, we always thought they were a pain in the ass, of course.....but looking back at it, that was another thing that created a sense of "togetherness" among the student body. When you think about it, it was kind of neat to have a situation where you could seat the entire student body in one auditorium like that. And the chapel programs weren't just about religion. We had all kinds of speakers...and even had the band & pep rallies before some of the big games, etc.

Last edited:
Before I got to Wake, there was no dancing on campus. In some ways, that might have been a good idea, white guys dancing to beach/shag music was pretty gross to see.

When they started "intervisitation" in Leuter (New Dorm), they literally turned off the elevators at 10 PM. It was theoretically an honor code violation to use the stairs after 10 PM or to use the tunnel go to the women's dorm.

Of course, in our day, RAs/dorm counselors were considered lower than pond scum and narcs. Some here were RAs and others say they respected them.

Plus you have virtual cops as campus cops, ours were 60-70 yo guys who couldn't have made it as mall cops. City cops had to ask permission to drive through campus back then.

Another big difference is that middle class kids (like me) could attend Wake without taking out a mortgage by graduation. Of course, we had very few blacks who weren't athletes, about a dozen Jews and less people fro overseas. Today, it's a lot higher income.

Of course, we would have laughed at the idea of 420. If the sun was up or down, it was a good time for a party.

npeWLn.png

I thought that all the Boomer Generation had done during the last 40 years was make things worse for the millennials. Where did this "advancement" that you speak of come from?

And how did the current crop of WF students come to have cash, cars & apartments during their college experience....when the Boomers lived in dorms, ate in the Pit and thumbed home on weekends....if all the Boomers have been doing all these years was ruining everything for them?

Nah, y'all were pretty awesome until you got old.

Though according to you Boomers, especially the younger ones, have horribly failed as parents on the whole.

How many working class Britains can honestly say that their future is brighter now than it was a week ago.
I imagine quite a few of them can if all the Poles and other Eastern Europeans who have flooded the job market are sent packing and not replaced by increased third world immigration. It's not like the globalists are gonna quit pushing for continued immigration. The Tories and Labor still run the show, not UKIP.

I imagine quite a few of them can if all the Poles and other Eastern Europeans who have flooded the job market are sent packing and not replaced by increased third world immigration. It's not like the globalists are gonna quit pushing for continued immigration. The Tories and Labor still run the show, not UKIP.

Kicking out all the immigrants isn't going to help if they take their jobs with them

Back