• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

EU vote-Brexit...what will it mean to us?

Someone decrying "globalists" sounds like someone decrying technology. It's just insanity at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine quite a few of them can if all the Poles and other Eastern Europeans who have flooded the job market are sent packing and not replaced by increased third world immigration. It's not like the globalists are gonna quit pushing for continued immigration. The Tories and Labor still run the show, not UKIP.

Are you familiar at all with Great Britain's immigration policies?

Are you familiar at all with Great Britain's immigration policies?
If you disagree that eastern Europeans have flooded the job market it is you who are clueless. But instead of relying on condescension and making me guess what part of what I said you object to, why don't you actually formulate an argument.

"United Kingdom 53,923,642 56,254,898 British people, Cornish people, English people, Manx people, Northern Irish people, Scottish people, Welsh people
India 467,634 776,603 Indians in the United Kingdom
Poland 60,711 703,050 Polish in the United Kingdom
Pakistan 321,167 540,495 Pakistanis in the United Kingdom
Ireland 533,901 503,288 Irish migration to Great Britain
Germany 266,136 322,220 Germans in the United Kingdom
Bangladesh 154,362 230,143 Bangladeshis in the United Kingdom
South Africa 141,405 218,732 South Africans in the United Kingdom
Nigeria 88,378 216,268 Nigerians in the United Kingdom
United States 158,434 212,150 Americans in the United Kingdom
People's Republic of China 51,078 182,628 Chinese in the United Kingdom
Jamaica 146,401 172,829 Jamaicans in the United Kingdom
Italy 107,244 151,790 Italians in the United Kingdom
Kenya 129,633 151,073 Kenyans in the United Kingdom
France 96,281 149,872 French in the United Kingdom
Philippines 40,118 139,570 Filipinos in the United Kingdom
Sri Lanka 67,938 138,752 Sri Lankans in the United Kingdom
Australia 107,871 135,786 Australians in the United Kingdom
Zimbabwe 49,524 132,942 Zimbabweans in the United Kingdom
Hong Kong 96,445 119,990 Hong Kongers in the United Kingdom"

Fair enough, I'll give you Poland.

A Guardian columnist says there needs to be a second vote because this is really serious. In other words, keep voting until you get it right.

As long as people have choices, people have regrets.

I imagine quite a few of them can if all the Poles and other Eastern Europeans who have flooded the job market are sent packing and not replaced by increased third world immigration. It's not like the globalists are gonna quit pushing for continued immigration. The Tories and Labor still run the show, not UKIP.

How is freedom of movement within the EEA "globalism"?

How is freedom of movement within the EEA "globalism"?

I don't think I said this in the comment you quote but why don't you craft a long response on why freedom of movement for workers between countries is not something a globalist would support and then I'll respond and tell you why you're wrong.

Yeah, well, I'm off of it now. WF millennials have shown me the light and the error of my previous ways with their ridiculous & sheltered outlook on life.

It's no wonder that they feel the way they do. Many of them have spent their whole life riding on that free train of privilege themselves. That's a by-product of a WF education today.....a lot of privileged millennials who lament the plight of the less fortunate while they drive their parents' BMW to their parents' country club. Those people do not represent average Americans. They are a small, privileged outlier who, for the most part, have done little in life other than become self-absorbed with what they are convinced is their superior talent & intellect because they have a degree from WF. I'd love to see resumes of what some of these people who ridicule people like Donald Trump & others with whom they disagree to see what they have actually done in their own lives.

Nothing like changing your political ideology because of a small group of outliers.

I don't think I said this in the comment you quote but why don't you craft a long response on why freedom of movement for workers between countries is not something a globalist would support and then I'll respond and tell you why you're wrong.

No Brit specifically "pushed" for the immigration from the new EU states (ie the nice young Poles you and Nazi Nigel are so worried about). That's just how freedom of movement within the EU and EEA worked out (perhaps predictably) after the 2004 and 2007 expansions.

The thing about unintended consequences is they weren't intended.

No Brit specifically "pushed" for the immigration from the new EU states (ie the nice young Poles you and Nazi Nigel are so worried about). That's just how freedom of movement within the EU and EEA worked out (perhaps predictably) after the 2004 and 2007 expansions.

The thing about unintended consequences is they weren't intended.

"Nazi Nigel" is straight up rjesque in it's ludicrousness. And of course plenty of Brits knew what the consequences would be and were eager to try and exploit them. For example, was just reading this:
It may not be the biggest issue to come out of a Brexit, but some in the market are pondering how Thursday’s vote will affect Sports Direct, the embattled sports goods retailer that operates a controversial warehouse in Derbyshire that is largely staffed by immigrant labour from eastern Europe.

Nigel Farage is an ugly Nazi with ugly Nazi pals. He mocked the murder of a young mother on Friday. I am not ever backing down from this.

"Nazi Nigel" is straight up rjesque in it's ludicrousness. And of course plenty of Brits knew what the consequences would be and were eager to try and exploit them. For example, was just reading this:

That pretty much goes without saying. Usually it is much easier to find a post from Tuffalo that is ludicrous, than one that is not.

The market chaos is getting worse as it become clear that no one in Britain has a plan for Brexit and that there is a complete leadership vacuum in the country right now. Cameron's a lame duck and Farage and Johnson have hidden from the cameras since the vote. Nobody knows what comes next and nobody's in charge. Nobody had a plan for what to do on the day after a "leave" vote, least of all the actual people campaigning for the "leave" side. What a shitshow.

The lessons of the last 30-40 years are (a) globalization is a massive boon for humanity as a whole, (b) the benefits are widespread in some ways (cheaper t-shirts and iPhones) but concentrated in other ways (massive flows of wealth to the top 0.5%) (c) the burdens of globalization fall disproportionately on the poor and uneducated; and (d) western governments have been completely ineffectual in crafting a policy response to (b) and (c). Brexit and Trump are the howl of rage from the electorate about that failure. Assuming (and praying) that Trump loses in November, this needs to be a wake up call to both parties in this country to get serious about fixing this problem.

Back