• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chill will be the next WFU BB head coach

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
When Manning leaves, preferably after winning so much, but also if he is terminated, Chill will be the man. He can recruit. He is a tireless worker. He has the swag. He knows the game. Players respect him. And Wake Forest will win big under him. It's just a matter of time.

I love Chill, but current WFU basketball still underwhelms me. Maybe it's the lingering Buzz effect, but I am having a hard time getting interested in WFU hoops. I've thought about it some, and I think it's because back in the Skip and even Dino-era, I felt like if a few things went our way we could win the conference and maybe even the NCAA. Now I think the chances of either of those things happening are really, really remote.

It's not that we aren't great. It's that I've lost the passionate hope that we can be great.

When Manning leaves, preferably after winning so much, but also if he is terminated, Chill will be the man. He can recruit. He is a tireless worker. He has the swag. He knows the game. Players respect him. And Wake Forest will win big under him. It's just a matter of time.

We've had SO MUCH SUCCESS with him on the staff so far...

I thought the 22 was for George Ritchie, from Chattaroy, WV....recruited by Herb Cline to play for Bones' Deacs as part of a fine class that included Dave Budd, Charlie Forte & Winston "Twig" Wiggins. They were sophomores on Bones' first team as WF head coach. I was in the 5th grade when they arrived at WF and that's why I later wore #22 when I played basketball in HS....for my hero George Ritchie.

Last edited:
He may well be but it would only be after he leaves to be a hc somewhere for a couple of years. No way he gets the gig without hc experience

I love Chill as much as anybody, but the only way he should be head coach is if Manning does end up having great success and it's evident Chill was a big part of it. If Manning gets canned then the house needs to be cleaned completely and unfortunately that would include Chill.

I love Chill, but current WFU basketball still underwhelms me. Maybe it's the lingering Buzz effect, but I am having a hard time getting interested in WFU

It's not that we aren't great. It's that I've lost the passionate hope that we can be great.

Wellman has achieved his goal with you.

Wellman has achieved his goal with you.

Yes, he has. What I can't figure out is (a) whether the big donors feel the same way, and (b) if so, why they keep giving money. One possibility is that when the rubber hits the road, the ruling class just doesn't really care about sports, beyond giving the appearance of trying. I've been wondering about this for a decade or so. All I know for sure is that it would be foolish to become deeply invested in winning if the people with influence are not. Maybe they're just entrenched in their insiderness. Maybe they know we don't have the money to really roll with the big boys. Maybe they think WFU is above such childish endeavors (that one drives me fucking nuts). Maybe they think it's enough to be pretty good. Maybe there's more to it than I know.

The only thing about WFU revenue sports (and for some reason I can't explain, mostly basketball; I have more hope for football, even though that seems illogical to me) I know for sure is that I am not very interested in it anymore.

Hatch damn near ruined the Athletic Department at Notre Dame. He really doesn't care about athletics nor understand the concept of getting tens of millions of dollars in free marketing from them.

Yes, he has. What I can't figure out is (a) whether the big donors feel the same way, and (b) if so, why they keep giving money. One possibility is that when the rubber hits the road, the ruling class just doesn't really care about sports, beyond giving the appearance of trying. I've been wondering about this for a decade or so. All I know for sure is that it would be foolish to become deeply invested in winning if the people with influence are not. Maybe they're just entrenched in their insiderness. Maybe they know we don't have the money to really roll with the big boys. Maybe they think WFU is above such childish endeavors (that one drives me fucking nuts). Maybe they think it's enough to be pretty good. Maybe there's more to it than I know.

The only thing about WFU revenue sports (and for some reason I can't explain, mostly basketball; I have more hope for football, even though that seems illogical to me) I know for sure is that I am not very interested in it anymore.

Big donors keep donating because it allows them to feel like big shots.

It's actually pathetic how many donations can be bought by throwing an "exclusive" party inside an glorified airplane hanger every couple of years.

Think about it for a second. People actually pay to gladhand with Ron Fucking Wellman.

912accb5_picard-facepalm.png

Big donors keep donating because it allows them to feel like big shots.

I think that's a lot of it. I also think that WFU has a long history of being pretty good at a lot of things, which is a better standard to be held to than "excellent." There are a lot of people with a huge stake in maintaining the status quo, and convincing others that whatever we have done for years is what we should be doing. Part of me thinks the best chance for a change in this way of thinking is when the next generation of trustees and donors are in control. Another part of me wonders how much "younger" WFU fans care about WFU sports. Maybe they've been conditioned to mediocrity.

Do current students and recent graduates really care about WFU sports? Or is it just another social event where you bond with others over being a loyal, ever-hopeful Deacon "fan?"

The takes in this thread read like conspiracy theories. I think it's really much more simple. Skip Prosser died suddenly and unexpectedly and it shook the entire athletic department deeply. It led to Grobe losing his passion, which was reflected on the field. Wellman didn't handle it well with regards to the basketball team and he made a terrible hire.

Wake is trying to excel at all sports, they just didn't do a good job of it over a 5 year period. If they're not trying to win, how would you explain signing a kid like Noah Rubin? He was the highest rated tennis recruit to go to college in several decades, and he was clearly only going to play for one year from the get go. Similarly, how would you explain signing Jack Harrison, the number 1 soccer recruit in the country, a one and done player who went #1 in the MLS draft?

Wake had a rough period in athletics for sure, but I think the entire department is trending in the right direction. We'll finish around 60 this year in the Sears Cup, which will be our highest finish in 6 years, and I think we'll finish even higher next year.

Back