• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Philly - what to see with limited time?

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Going up to Philly area next weekend. HS lacrosse tournament in the Plymouth Meeting area so I won't have much time to spend in the city itself. What is worth seeing/doing of a quasi-educational nature? Tourist traps to avoid? Thx

Art Museum or Independence Hall are good spots. If time is limited Old City as a general roaming spot is nice. Food and Beer Bars are the main draw of Philly, so that rules out a lot for you.

Great stuff at Reading Terminal. Good sandwiches and cheesesteaks and the best ice cream in the world at Basssett's.

Do NOT go to Geno's or Pat's those are tourist traps. They are very mediocre and always. Not too far from Independence Hall is Jim's on South Street. Their cheesesteaks are much better than Pat's or Geno's.

Plymouth Meeting is also close to Valley Forge. Could psyche up the players.

Great stuff at Reading Terminal. Good sandwiches and cheesesteaks and the best ice cream in the world at Basssett's.

Do NOT go to Geno's or Pat's those are tourist traps. They are very mediocre and always. Not too far from Independence Hall is Jim's on South Street. Their cheesesteaks are much better than Pat's or Geno's.

I would recommend Jims for cheesesteaks on South. My higher rec would be Nicks for overboards (have to go the original at 20th south passyunk). If you go to Nicks, you could do italian market (paesanos arista is a dooppee sandwich) which has dope food/old school vibe.

Right down the street fro the Art Museum is the Franklin Institute. The kids should like that, too.

Jim's for a cheesesteak for sure. I went to Valley Forge and thought it was a bit boring, and I usually like historical stuff.

I really like the Rodin museum too. It's not huge so it's something you can check out without investing a ton of time.

Am in a similar situation. I am debating the Eastern State Penitentiary versus the art museum and will likely only have time for one. Thoughts?

They are both right next to each other - if time is limited, the Eastern State Pen is quicker - the Art Museum is huge. Also, the Art Museum is cool, but you can just take 5 minutes see the rocky statue and run up the steps and not need to go in.

Going up to Philly area next weekend. HS lacrosse tournament in the Plymouth Meeting area so I won't have much time to spend in the city itself. What is worth seeing/doing of a quasi-educational nature? Tourist traps to avoid? Thx

If you are staying in Plymouth Meeting, head over to Chestnut Hill for dinner or something, its a cool little town with a few nice places - McNallys is not a nice place, its a dive, but has the Schmitter if you are into huge sandwiches. Highly recommended.

Tbh the Barnes is my favorite art spot if that is the route you are going.

If you are staying in Plymouth Meeting, head over to Chestnut Hill for dinner or something, its a cool little town with a few nice places - McNallys is not a nice place, its a dive, but has the Schmitter if you are into huge sandwiches. Highly recommended.

Near Chestnut Hill are the best cheesesteaks in the city at D'Alessandro's (http://dalessandros.com/ )

Tbh the Barnes is my favorite art spot if that is the route you are going.

The Barnes is cool if you are going to see art and pictures and stuff, otherwise, its slow and boring, unless you are going to one of their events where there is free food and booze - then its fun. It is a cool building with art from some well known painters.

Near Chestnut Hill are the best cheesesteaks in the city at D'Alessandro's (http://dalessandros.com/ )

Dalessandros is in manayunk - which is a cool ass place to live and walk through, if you have time - tons of bars, the brewery is halfway decent, the streets are hysterical to look at, driving is a pain. They do events there every couple of weeks from spring to fall.

Probably not something to do with limited time.

I would recommend Jims for cheesesteaks on South. My higher rec would be Nicks for overboards (have to go the original at 20th south passyunk). If you go to Nicks, you could do italian market (paesanos arista is a dooppee sandwich) which has dope food/old school vibe.

If you are going down on Saturday or Sunday morning (before noonish), definitely hit up the Italian Market - if not, the market is kinda lame. If you do go early, hit up Sabrinas for breakfast/brunch, can't miss - stuffed french toast is the bomb and enough for 2 people.

Dalessandros is in manayunk - which is a cool ass place to live and walk through, if you have time - tons of bars, the brewery is halfway decent, the streets are hysterical to look at, driving is a pain. They do events there every couple of weeks from spring to fall.

Probably not something to do with limited time.

Yep, I was thinking if he was in Chestnut Hill already that it wouldn't be that far.

Back