• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

1997 Wake Forest at East Carolina

EastCarolina

Reaction score
Hello Demon Deacons. Back in 97 Wake played at ECU you guys jumped out to a big lead and my Pirates came back to win the game by one point. The game was televised by Fox sports South. I've been trying to track down a copy of it on VHS or DVD for years to add to my collection. I've had no luck on the ECU boards so I thought I would try here.

Lol why would you want a Jim Caldwell lead team in your collection?

Hello Demon Deacons. Back in 97 Wake played at ECU you guys jumped out to a big lead and my Pirates came back to win the game by one point. The game was televised by Fox sports South. I've been trying to track down a copy of it on VHS or DVD for years to add to my collection. I've had no luck on the ECU boards so I thought I would try here.

I don't remember the details, but late in the game Wake was either driving for the go-ahead score or for a first down to run out the clock, and someone in the stands blew a whistle that our QB Brian Kuklick thought was from an official. It caused us to get a procedure penalty or a turnover that in large part cost us the game. I remember it was a pretty big deal b/c it got a mention in Sports Illustrated.
I'm sure I got many of the details wrong (or maybe not even the correct game?) so maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

I don't remember the details, but late in the game Wake was either driving for the go-ahead score or for a first down to run out the clock, and someone in the stands blew a whistle that our QB Brian Kuklick thought was from an official. It caused us to get a procedure penalty or a turnover that in large part cost us the game. I remember it was a pretty big deal b/c it got a mention in Sports Illustrated.
I'm sure I got many of the details wrong (or maybe not even the correct game?) so maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

I was actually at that game- hottest I have ever been. Was about 97' with 80% humidity. We got up 20-0 and lost 21-20 I think. Our guys were cramping up all over the place (sound familiar?). I think Morgan Kane had a long TD run.

Those sound right. I think the fake whistle play was a key 3rd down in ECU territory either down 1 or before ECU's game winning score. Kuklick downed the ball as instructed. We punted and lost.

I was actually at that game- hottest I have ever been. Was about 97' with 80% humidity. We got up 20-0 and lost 21-20 I think. Our guys were cramping up all over the place (sound familiar?). I think Morgan Kane had a long TD run.

Y'all got up 21-0 ECU ended up winning 25-24 don't remember all the details I know we went for two at some point and got it. I do believe you were driving late for the chance to get in FG range I don't remember exactly what happened at the very end. I don't remember anything about a whistle blowing though?

I love when opposing fans come on here to troll us about a past defeat under the auspices of "I can't locate the video" :p

I thought that whistle blew when we were on defense and our cornerback stopped running letting them get the winning score.

I love when opposing fans come on here to troll us about a past defeat under the auspices of "I can't locate the video" :p

They haven't beaten us this century, so let them enjoy one of their two program wins over ours.

I thought that whistle blew when we were on defense and our cornerback stopped running letting them get the winning score.

No. It was definitely on offense.

That happened at UVA in a 14-13 loss where Grobe quit trying to move the ball after 1st down at UVA 33 in last minutes plus and Swank was wide left on field goal at end of game. Whistle came in first half allowing UVA to complete a long pass for a TD right before halftime.

First of all I'm not trolling anyone I'm looking for a copy of said game. Second I know the record with you all well. You guys took the lead in the series during our worst period in history between 2002 and 2005

4-8
1-11
2-10
5-6

While during that time it was the era of Jim Grobe there. With that said wins are wins and you guys lead the series. Kind of sad some of your fans are so sensitive you get butt hurt over a game from almost 20 years ago .

^ and there it is. I was wondering how long it would take for this guy to post something along those lines. Not very long lol

First of all I'm not trolling anyone I'm looking for a copy of said game. Second I know the record with you all well. You guys took the lead in the series during our worst period in history between 2002 and 2005

4-8
1-11
2-10
5-6

While during that time it was the era of Jim Grobe there. With that said wins are wins and you guys lead the series. Kind of sad some of your fans are so sensitive you get butt hurt over a game from almost 20 years ago .

Bless your heart!

Haha silly wake fans thinking they are better for having s better record.

That happened at UVA in a 14-13 loss where Grobe quit trying to move the ball after 1st down at UVA 33 in last minutes plus and Swank was wide left on field goal at end of game. Whistle came in first half allowing UVA to complete a long pass for a TD right before halftime.

OK, I'll add to this comment, this is mostly right but a few different friendly details from my point of view.

1- Near end of 1st half, UVA was deep in our territory, perhaps between 10-12 yard-line. UVA completed a pass to about the 8 yard line, or so, and our DBs (and others heard a whistle) so the DBs (all team really) stopped and didn't try to tackle the receiver. He jogged easily into the end zone. Little clock remained, so a stop/tackle would have been end of half, no score, at least no TD..

2- On the EOG FG try series, we had 3rd down (on 33?) ball on the right hash mark. Long try but Swank's range. Grobe did not run left to center more for any kick, if no additional gain. Swank lined up to kick directly in line with the right goal post. I was seated in end zone in a direct line of the play and ball flight. He kicked it straight as an arrow, about a foot, or less, wide right. Grobe later said he did not run left to center ball due to the AA DE (Long, Howey Long' son) and possible loss of yards. In my mind one of the dumbest events of the entire Grobe era ( was it Lobo, don't recall) ?)

Sheesh. Get a life. Unless your son was on the team and he died last week there is no reason in the world to be trying to track down video of that game.

4-8
1-11
2-10
5-6

:plos:

Back