• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

It's got to be distracting to have the floor music going at the same time.

Why is gabby sitting all alone? Is their a rift in team chemistry? I saw someone referenced something about a cat fight earlier. Eh, who knows

Why is gabby sitting all alone? Is their a rift in team chemistry? I saw someone referenced something about a cat fight earlier. Eh, who knows

It's awkward cause her dreams just got dashed by her own teammate. Probably best to just give her space

And to add in the angle of being the defending champ and see it taken away by your own teammates. She pretty quickly turned that smile to a frown after she hugged Raisman.

Douglas finished 3rd overall and doesn't make the final

Only 2 from the same country is, as it was before, a bullshit rule.

Raisman v. Hernandez woulda been interesting if Hernandez had a shot at the bars. Hernandez woulda only needed do about a top 10 bars score to get an all-around spot.

I guess they had to give Douglas a shot at it to make bringing her back worth it

Raisman v. Hernandez woulda been interesting if Hernandez had a shot at the bars. Hernandez woulda only needed do about a top 10 bars score to get an all-around spot.

I guess they had to give Douglas a shot at it to make bringing her back worth it

The problem is that Gabby can medal in bars event finals and needs to also do bars in the team finals....So it is hard to bench her on her best event. But yes, Gabby is the 4th best on the team overall.

Gabby with the 3rd highest score of all qualifiers, just happens that 1 & 2 are also American

The problem is that Gabby can medal in bars event finals and needs to also do bars in the team finals....So it is hard to bench her on her best event. But yes, Gabby is the 4th best on the team overall.

Yeah good points. I imagine the team would've looked differently if Hernandez was competing in all-around, can't imagine both Kocian and Douglas would've gone

Gabby with the 3rd highest score of all qualifiers, just happens that 1 & 2 are also American

And she would have been 4th if only the other American could have done a bars routine. USA would go 1-2-3-4 in All-around easy

As far as I'm concerned, there is no logical reason that more than 2 people from the same nation couldn't compete in the all-around if they deserved it based on their scores. It is utterly ridiculous to have that restriction. American's being hosed by that rule or not. It's a fucking stupid rule.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no logical reason that more than 2 people from the same nation couldn't compete in the all-around if they deserved it based on their scores. It is utterly ridiculous to have that restriction. American's being hosed by that rule or not. It's a fucking stupid rule.

Has this always been a rule, or did they change it for these games?

Has this always been a rule, or did they change it for these games?

It started in 2004. Romania swept the medals in 2000. Gabby won't win a bar EF. She's never won an event final medal at the Worlds or Olympics. She has the dubious distinction of being the only AA gold medalist at the Olympics to not win any event final medal. Many are better than her and will be practicing. Best scenario she gets 4-5. Some sponsor wanfed her on ths team, so she's on the team. Mykayla Skinner would have gotten similar scores to Gabby and beat her at trials. Or they could have brought Ashton for a second bar medal. Bringing Gabby was a waste.

Last edited:
And she would have been 4th if only the other American could have done a bars routine. USA would go 1-2-3-4 in All-around easy

How have Russia/China/Romania all fallen off so much? For as far back as I can remember (Barcelona) there's always been at least one of those 3 that's been even with us or a favorite.

It started in 2004. Romania swept the medals in 2000. Gabby won't win a bar EF. She's never won an event final medal at the Worlds or Olympics. She has the dubious distinction of being the only AA gold medalist at the Olympics to not win any event final medal. Many are better than her and will be practicing. Best scenario she gets 4-5. Some sponsor wanfed her on ths team, so she's on the team. Mykayla Skinner would have gotten similar scores to Gabby and beat her at trials. Or they could have brought Ashton for a second bar medal. Bringing Gabby was a waste.

Scorching hot take considering Gabby just finished 3rd overall of all Olympians on day 1.

Just scorching.

How have Russia/China/Romania all fallen off so much? For as far back as I can remember (Barcelona) there's always been at least one of those 3 that's been even with us or a favorite.

Less funding, coaches left to make more money elsewhere, China got caught cheating and has to be more careful with their 8 year olds :), Code of Points too ridiculous.

China had a bad day, they are still very good. Not as good as the US. But good. Russia lost someone a few weeks before the Olympics to kidney disease.

Last edited:
Scorching hot take considering Gabby just finished 3rd overall of all Olympians on day 1.

Just scorching.

Hernandez would have as well quite easily, she deserved a shot IMO after beating Gabby in both the P&G Championships and Olympic Trials (dominating) - her average scores over all both of events (4 runs on each event) would have narrowly edged out Raisman, so it would have been close. Her floor at its best also challenges Raisman. In my book, Gabby wasn't going to make the team until she nailed her last two rotations in trials and then I gave her the last spot.

I disagree that she was a waste, but you're wrong.

Last edited:

Just scorching.

She was 3rd of 3 Americans and would have been 4th of 4 if the fourth could've done all exercises.

She also finished 7th in the AA at the US Trials

Back